• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two interesting #258 setups. I would correct the one guy who claimed it was a #257...but he has a gun so don't want to upset him :lol:

258.jpg

gun.PNG

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I tried on the mesh caps, the patch designs were much better I thought. I wanted something I could use throughout the year so a full fabric was my only option. They had a 22ounce waxed canvas hat that literally weighted a ton, and for only $35, but it was camouflage.

I thought about the varying of colors actually. The Mackinaw Cruiser in Forest Green looked too casual, and doesn’t go that well with dress attire, which I would also like to use this as. I have an old double London Fog pea coat in charcoal that I’ve been using for dress for well over a decade and I’d like to retire it. I do like the Forest Green still but the Dark Navy just beats it. I do understand about the possible clash with Jeans, but I am such a sucker for non-Filson Navy fabrics, which might come as a surprise for someone so obsessed with all things Green. Plus I would like to avoid the military green “John Rambo” look when dressing up with the Mack Cruiser, which is another reason for Navy

Now for the clash; the Navy Mackinaw Vest. I plan on using both Mackinaw coat and vest singularly just as often if not more than the two together. The reason I went with the navy vest is because I wasn’t really a fan of how the Forest Green looked when paired with really anything, and I’m not one for plaid.

It’s funny with Tan becoming part of my daily carry, Navy looks best I think when paired with Tan, so a Journeyman in Tan and a Navy Coat/Vest would look amazing I think. I hear what you’re saying about jeans, I think GAP selvedge jeans appeal to me the most so far, namely the:
https://scout.heddels.com/brands/gap/denim-jeans/gap-1969-straight-fit-selvedge-raw-denim-jeans
I like straight cuts and never have been a fan of skinny or slim fit cuts.
These are just samples I’ve found online that have reaffirmed my decisions for my color choices:

View attachment 1070595

View attachment 1070596

It almost looks like a sport coat on the bearded guy. I guess he's going for a very fitted look.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocking the Barbour with the 256. This is a selfie in an elevator mirror in the W Hotel City Center, Chicago.

To Speedy's question about the Barbour. I LOVE it. Great for cold days when moving. If you're going to stand around on an ice-cold day, then this is the wrong coat for you. I'd say it's great from 35-50. Not super insulated, but has a membrane that keeps the wind out and the heat in - best when you're moving around.

I like the combo of the tan 256 and the green Barbour.

upload_2018-11-13_21-40-18.png

B71510F0-B970-4374-A2C2-01A0EDA5BB9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocking the Barbour with the 256. This is a selfie in an elevator mirror in the W Hotel City Center, Chicago.

To Speedy's question about the Barbour. I LOVE it. Great for cold days when moving. If you're going to stand around on an ice-cold day, then this is the wrong coat for you. I'd say it's great from 35-50. Not super insulated, but has a membrane that keeps the wind out and the heat in - best when you're moving around.

I like the combo of the tan 256 and the green Barbour.

View attachment 1071469

View attachment 1071473

I took my Barbour International in for rewaxing on the weekend after 6 years of continual use. It’s got such a great tailored cut. As you said it is best in 35-50 range. Not a winter jacket in the Northeast but a great for the spring and fall. I bought the Mile Marker from Filson so curious to see how it compares.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It almost looks like a sport coat on the bearded guy. I guess he's going for a very fitted look.

Good catch, I hadn't noticed that at first. I was shocked that the Mackinaw Cruiser I tried on was a size small; it fit me pretty well, but wore more like a sport jacket than a winter coat. I don't think I would be able to wear anything more than a flannel without feeling constricted. That is why I am going with the medium, so I can layer. I will lose the sleek/tailored look that the small can only give, but I will make up for it in comfort and warmth (from the layers underneath).

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good catch, I hadn't noticed that at first. I was shocked that the Mackinaw Cruiser I tried on was a size small; it fit me pretty well, but wore more like a sport jacket than a winter coat. I don't think I would be able to wear anything more than a flannel without feeling constricted. That is why I am going with the medium, so I can layer. I will lose the sleek/tailored look that the small can only give, but I will make up for it in comfort and warmth (from the layers underneath).

It’s a trade-off of style for greater versatility. I would probably size up to allow layering as it allows the Mac to be used in much colder weather.

Having said that, I think you and I are both of slim build
And a more fitted jacket can look really sharp on people with our body type. In fact, in Europe that is sort of the standard city look in my experience.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a trade-off of style for greater versatility. I would probably size up to allow layering as it allows the Mac to be used in much colder weather.

And a more fitted jacket can look really sharp on people with our body type. In fact, in Europe that is sort of the standard city look in my experience.
Let’s also not forget that if you’re buying a Mac cruiser for life, some of us may not have that slim build forever.

On a side note, does anyone want a nice stylish, slim-fitting coat I bought in Italy a few years ago?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s also not forget that if you’re buying a Mac cruiser for life, some of us may not have that slim build forever.

On a side note, does anyone want a nice stylish, slim-fitting coat I bought in Italy a few years ago?

This. Size up for layering, ease of movement and guard against minor shrinkage. Even if you plan to wear a sport coat or suit jacket underneath in more business contexts you’ll appreciate the extra space to move.

letsi

Reaction score
Wow. That’s a seriously detailed fake. I’ll bet it feels crappy in the hand, even if it can just about pass muster visually?

So what’s the story? From where did you dig up this gem? Rakuten or similar?

To be honest, there are various tell-tale signs that showed it's not from Filson. Little things like the Chicago screws instead of rivets and the type of carabiners used for the key-holder and couple of other things that I'll post side-by-side comparison pics later.

However in terms of ounce and quality, the waxed canvas twill and leather that they used(if they did not paint the handles with black paint) are actually very close to what Filson is currently using for the current gen bags (i.e. not talon/ykk). I was very surprised with regards to this as well cause that's where most fakes skimp on. The only component that is obviously lacking in quality would be the stitching on the leather and certain finesse lacking when compared to a real Filson bag. You could probably catch that on the last few pictures that I posted.

I got to know this brand from sellers offloading this on a local garage sales app. Here's a link on all the other stuff they're doing with Filson on the infamous chinese "ebay": https://www.taobao.com/list/product/ace浮生出品.htm

The real kicker is that the product is branded "ace浮生". The pronunciation and tones of these two chinese character 浮生 sounds like Filson in Mandarin. Plus you could see the brand motto they used is "sincerity to work" :D

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good point @mgrennier , I do plan on my metabolism slowing down at some point, despite the fact that I've only gained 5 pounds in 16 years (34 years old).

I definitely plan on sizing up to the medium, as I normally wear a size Large (outside of Filson). I tried a medium Mack Cruiser on and was surprised that it still looked good, so all should be well. I've never been to Europe before so I'm sure when I do go I will have quite a culture shock, I'm sure I'll stick out like a sore thumb in the process.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As said, here’s 2 more picture to shatter the myth...

View attachment 1071612

View attachment 1071611

That is one incredibly detailed fake, had me fooled there. On second glance I did notice the silhouette was a bit rounded on the bottom, instead of the squared look that is usually present with Filson. I thought it almost resembled the silhouette of the Tablet Briefcase.

What is the full phrase on the leather embossed pull tabs, because all I see is the word "confused"? I can just image it saying something like: "Not To Be Confused With Filson" :lol:. Also when I see "A.C.E. I immediately think of ACE Hardware, which I (and I'm sure others here) have grown up with. I checked out that link you included, just how are they able to get away with such a blatant ripoff?

ACE.jpg

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score
That is one incredibly detailed fake, had me fooled there. On second glance I did notice the silhouette was a bit rounded on the bottom, instead of the squared look that is usually present with Filson. I thought it almost resembled the silhouette of the Tablet Briefcase.

What is the full phrase on the leather embossed pull tabs, because all I see is the word "confused"? I can just image it saying something like: "Not To Be Confused With Filson" :lol:. Also when I see "A.C.E. I immediately think of ACE Hardware, which I (and I'm sure others here) have grown up with. I checked out that link you included, just how are they able to get away with such a blatant ripoff?

View attachment 1071667

That's right, the silhouette is more rounded when compared to actual 256. Good catch there too :)

The full phrase on the embossed pulled tabs is Assiduous Confused Effort which links back to, wait for it... A.C.E :D

It's China so ... Trump had a point with regards to IP rights there. This prob ranked as something along A/B grade imitation/inspired product I guess. Just wait till you see the AAA replica of high end watches going around in the black market there :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads