1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

I have the boot pants and my father has a few pairs of single tin pants. the double tin, pictured in the lower picture, are a sweat box (quoting my brother from Alaska). The boot pants are sized to go over pants, where the tin pants are on the slimmer side and are sized to fit (filson sizing is always suspect regardless). I have seen variations over the actual waist size of the pants. My suggestion is to go up a size if possible. a belt or suspenders helps in that matter. I have not noticed any shrinking of the pants. I have never worn the pants alone, always having long under wear or jeans under. My father wears the pants as pants, so it can be done, just an odd feeling in my opinion.

2. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

Thanks for sharing, he also does a good video on the Single Mackinaw. Very detailed indeed. I am torn right now between the double hunting pant and the tin pant for my next pair of hunting pants. The legs are so wide on the double hunting pant and double tin pant I am struggling to make a decision.

3. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Very interesting video! I really enjoyed his explanation for why loggers don’t hem the tin pants. The other thing that stood out is that these are more of a tool than another pair of pants. Living in the small confines that I currently do, a pair of work pants that can’t be washed is not in my near future, but for an outdoorsman, I can see these being an essential part of the daily wear.

On another note, that tin cruiser looks perfect with the firewood and the land rover. Maybe not exactly logging, but you are definitely doing your gear justice! My tin short cruiser got a lot more wear this fall than it did previously, and only gets more comfortable with wear.

4. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

5. OtterMeanGreen

6. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Nope, that is repair. I had to have him change his description as when he originally put this up (like over 6 months ago) he copied one of my auctions verbatim. He refuses to acknowledge the difference between repair and restoration, 2 completely and financially different things.

7. OtterMeanGreen

That's why I tagged you, as it was a blatant ripoff of what an FRD stands for and I knew you would enlighten us, which you did.

Speaking of FRD, guess where I was yesterday for over an hour. I saw some pretty amazing pieces too. More posts to follow as I have othe news to share of my visit. Some will certainly appreciate it

BC664BF8-E9AE-4AA7-AAD9-FF0668AAB37A.jpeg

7D38C190-3867-4B0A-AB1C-C4A95044C14D.jpeg

23537C35-CAFB-4760-8573-53C4B3805D29.jpeg

509E373E-A99F-4C0A-8836-2A266EBE4643.jpeg

784C6C45-4011-49C4-9316-A04836877EB5.jpeg

5D01BC64-B028-4F22-AD1D-C2B0CC86FC71.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

8. OtterMeanGreen

@mgrennier thought about you when I passed this on my way to Filson on Great Jones Street. I heard from the guys at the store that Filson was opening a massive 6000 SQ two story flagship store 2 miles uptown in Union Square. 0.9 miles away from Penn Station. I’m so going back, even though I totally bonded with one of the Filson employees at Great Jones (whose name was also Matt). This guy was awesome, and made my first experience quite memorable. He is a big reason (apart from you guys) why I am now have 4 items (2 jackets, 1 vest & a 1 bag) on my wishlist. More to come on this..

New NYC Store Opening:
    https://www.filson.com/our-company/store-locator/new-york-store

EED2CAB4-2C25-44FF-97D4-BE2E5304324A.jpeg

8D3494E4-FEB1-466C-91E7-65B15429A646.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

9. Rymanocerous

Rymanocerous Senior Member

This is basically what happened to me with my 257. It's pretty scummy to intentionally pull that type of shit if you ask me.

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Great photos. Looking forward to the rest of the story! That wool packer jacket in the window is fantastic.

11. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

Otter- did you to th grand opening of the new flagship store or did you go to the existing store?

12. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Nice. I am pretty sure I know who did the eisenbarth bag from FRD. Also, that’s pretty cheap for a FRD medium duffle.....which is sad. I need to check out their new store there. I wish they’d just open up a shop in Chicago....

13. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

14. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

It’s so frustrating. Chicago is a great market for Filson. Farmers and Hipsters galour. Whenever I talk with the employees they always to me a store is in the works for Naperville (western Chicago suburbs), but even still, it wouldn’t be flagship, so no FRD.

15. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I totally agree that a repaired bag is not FRD, with that said, the bag that @OtterMeanGreen posted above has more custom work done on it than many of the FRD bags that I have seen. For example, the other FRD 257 that is on eBay right now. Totally bland, basically just a Talon 257 with small patches here and there with a label. This guy got lucky and has a beautifully repaired Filson.