1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Does this count as “timber cruising” ?!

Neighbors moving, left us some wood.
    Land Rover becomes an expensive wheelbarrow.

#winteriscoming #FilsonLife
    #imnotamillenialbutcantstopusinghashtags

4C77EF18-335A-4975-A48A-23CF661CD5CC.jpeg

2. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

3. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Here in San Antonio, a lot of local business have started carrying small enamel pins as brand merch. I’ve never been big on making permanent mods to my Filson gear, but I’ve picked up a few pins recently and have found them to be a nice way to nonpermanently personalize my daily carry.

7832AE58-159E-4159-BB2B-A80CB481A30A.jpeg

4. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

That's really cool! I bought a similar pin at a music festival but couldn't bring myself to pierce my poor bag ;-) So I fashioned something out of an old credit card and did it like this:
    WhatsApp Image 2018-10-18 at 12.45.34.jpeg
    Removable without leaving holes. The pins go on either side of the leather snap and are fastened through a cut up creditcard.

5. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Maiden voyage for the Away bag. STL to Chicago.

Loaded for bear with the 256 and my Barbour coat. 37 degrees in Chicago they tell me.

83E95AD0-1362-4AA5-8C5D-2103E547B6B7.jpeg

6. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

I'll be waiting for you...

7. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Looks great. How’s that Barbour working out? Keep meaning to rewax mine.
    Hope it’s a good trip.

8. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

Just did some serious rewaxing this weekend. 2 Barbours, filson tin field coat,Tom Beckbe coat and a pair of ball and buck field pants. I use filson's wax on everything and am very thankful for a new heat gun, it cuts the time down significantly! It really is amazing what a fresh waxing does for a product.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Not the first time a Filson has been used for a delivery...
    [​IMG]

10. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

That’s one of my biggest regrets of life; not joining the US Coast Guard earlier in life. I had a calling to serve in my late 20’s but alas it was a year past their cutoff age of 28. Im sure at this point i would have more than a few service tattoos.

I hear what you’re saying though about having significance. Since I’m not married, I don’t have someone to reason with or talk me off a ledge...nope...all I have but a few close friends and you fine gentlemen, and even my close friends don’t get my love for Filson.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 6:22 AM

11. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: Im inseparable from my dog but that’s a little beyond even me.

Still a little sick, can’t seem to shake it. So far I’ve had a cold & fever, upper respiratory infection, bronchitis. I’m starting to forget what it feels like not being sick. I’m in New York City today and will be stopping by the Filson store for the first time. Gonna be trying on some coats and I might even buy a hat. Since you guys always implement buying something when going to a Filson Store, it’s like a rite of passage of sorts.

12. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: You guys are great! Totally talking me off the ledge here. At this point in my life, I should consider myself lucky to not have any tattoos, especially growing up when I did. The only benefit I can see of getting a Filson “Motto” Label tattooed on my arm is that I’ll never be without one, no matter how many Bedrock Filson’s I get. :lol:

13. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Thank you for the incentive. My hands are so slippery from wax I can barely type...
    Done: Tin cruiser,Packer hat, Barbour.
    Definitely agree on the heat gun.

Interestingly Filson wax is softer at room temp and can be applied with fingers. Barbour wax needs a water bath and goes on well with a paintbrush in liquid/melted form.

Still waiting with bated breath for my very ancient Belstaff Trialmaster to come back from Belstaff with it’s new zipper, pop faster and repaired pockets. It’s go so much old wax on it that when cold, the whole garment is basically rigid.

14. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

Good for you! Agree about the softness of Filson vs Barbour- i’ll usually give Filson wax a shot with the heat gun every minute or so and find it applies easier.

15. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Continuing the waxed clothing theme for a moment: great video review here of tin pants.

These are on my Christmas list. Filson grail item for me. I like the look and the utility:
    2563FBA7-9904-45F0-AC5B-22DB83BB752D.jpeg

For those who have them 3 questions:
    1. How do you size them? Size up?
    2. Do they shrink?
    3. Do you wear long johns under them? Or just bare legs?

Thanks!