• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome looking forward to seeing it, should be quite a bag after all this time of ownership. I also have a first edition #257 in Otter Green from around that time, can't say for sure though as mine too didn't come with a build tag. I've heard that all the first editions for that matter didn't come with build tags, so that makes sense. My #257 also didn't come with a key lanyard, like the 2nd editions and those after all came with. I kinda like it but will modify to suit my key carrying needs later.

Here's mine in case you missed seeing it from the 10 times I've shared it already, you can see how, after all this time, wasn't used all that much, if at all. :cool2::fonz:

View attachment 909221

View attachment 909222
Otter - I've decided that I love the 257 much more than the 256. They're both iconic items, obviously, but the 257 really meets my needs so much more. I travel so much that I use my bag as a traveling office and I just prefer the roomier size.

In fact, in a partnership with GZ, I'll be posting pics of my Talon-era 256 that I bought him. We've decided to offer it up to a Styleforum member first before it gets pushed out to the big e b a y board. It's really a perfect example of the patina'd Original Briefcase that everyone (on here at least) loves.

Look for pics later today or tomorrow.

GzStudio

Reaction score
...I am hoping - perhaps naively - that the new ‘translucent leather’ might be better...

I actually prefer the look of the new leather. Not a fan of the stained rough-side, but we can't have everything. I am also interested in seeing how this leather ages.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the look of the new leather. Not a fan of the stained rough-side, but we can't have everything. I am also interested in seeing how this leather ages.
If my weatherproof briefcase is any indication, its going to be glorious. It has lightened some already to a deep red in sunlight. In a couple years, the "weatherproof" finish will ear down and we will really see what it's made of!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd clarify one thing that I've been meaning to do for quite awhile for the members new to Filson. This will come across as obvious to the elder members but still feel I need to do my part to clarify this up. This will help those looking for a first edition and any other bags that came out after, up until a certain point. It will really help you if the seller includes the build tag, which if not posted, can be requested to the seller (as I have done many times with great success).

You will hear two iterations (besides say the Sportsman, which has three) of certain popular Filson's like the 256, 257, & 258 mainly. I realize it's easier to just type the three digits than it is the five, but there's a point to all this. When you see #256/257/258 it is by design; meaning that these are among first editions and bags that came out before Mark Kurros left Filson as CEO and Brentwood later sold to Bedrock Manufacturing. That is why bags as late as 2010 featured the 3 digit build numbers. My October 2010 Sportsman features the 3 digit build #. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 5 digit bags but there is an invisible line drawn down the middle of say a #256 and #70256. Five digit bags are the ones that are re-engineered, made smaller (medium duffel), and made with cheaper material (interior dividers made with shelter cloth/lighter twill instead of 22 oz).

I'm not saying Filson didn't have its problems when they featured three digit build numbers. Just research a man named Doug Williams. He was a Ralph Lauren Exec who moved the Filson headquarters to his Connecticut home and off shored production. Hope that clears up why I use both denominations in my posts when referring to certain bags from certain eras.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd clarify one thing that I've been meaning to do for quite awhile for the members new to Filson. This will come across as obvious to the elder members but still feel I need to do my part to clarify this up. This will help those looking for a first edition and any other bags that came out after, up until a certain point. It will really help you if the seller includes the build tag, which if not posted, can be requested to the seller (as I have done many times with great success).

You will hear two iterations (besides say the Sportsman, which has three) of certain popular Filson's like the 256, 257, & 258 mainly. I realize it's easier to just type the three digits than it is the five, but there's a point to all this. When you see #256/257/258 it is by design; meaning that these are among first editions and bags that came out before Mark Kurros left Filson as CEO and Brentwood later sold to Bedrock Manufacturing. That is why bags as late as 2010 featured the 3 digit build numbers. My October 2010 Sportsman features the 3 digit build #. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 5 digit bags but there is an invisible line drawn down the middle of say a #256 and #70256. Five digit bags are the ones that are re-engineered, made smaller (medium duffel), and made with cheaper material (interior dividers made with shelter cloth/lighter twill instead of 22 oz).

I'm not saying Filson didn't have its problems when they featured three digit build numbers. Just research a man named Doug Williams. He was a Ralph Lauren Exec who moved the Filson headquarters to his Connecticut home and off shored production. Hope that clears up why I use both denominations in my posts when referring to certain bags from certain eras.
It is also fair to note (for the new people) that this (cheaper materials in new bags) IS a matter of opinion. The older bags and the newer bags can only be truly distinguished (in my opinion) by the leather underside, the build tags, and maybe the smell. Some say the twill has changed, I don't buy it, simply because I can't feel a difference. Even the old 258's used tin cloth in some of the pockets, so this change could have been made just to make the bag a little lighter, as these are not the lightest bags out there to start with.

@OtterMeanGreen and I know that we share a difference of opinion here, and that's a good thing! But, all said, the very best thing to do is to try them out for yourself and see what you prefer. I love my Talon 256, but also love my 2015 bedrock 256, and was more surprised by how incredibly similar they were rather than how different they were. I have said this before, but inspecting the product prior to purchase is a must for me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is also fair to note (for the new people) that this (cheaper materials in new bags) IS a matter of opinion. The older bags and the newer bags can only be truly distinguished (in my opinion) by the leather underside, the build tags, and maybe the smell. Some say the twill has changed, I don't buy it, simply because I can't feel a difference. Even the old 258's used tin cloth in some of the pockets, so this change could have been made just to make the bag a little lighter, as these are not the lightest bags out there to start with.

@OtterMeanGreen and I know that we share a difference of opinion here, and that's a good thing! But, all said, the very best thing to do is to try them out for yourself and see what you prefer. I love my Talon 256, but also love my 2015 bedrock 256, and was more surprised by how incredibly similar they were rather than how different they were. I have said this before, but inspecting the product prior to purchase is a must for me.

Not all three digit build numbered Filson's have leather that is easily distinguishable and come with suede undersides and brass fittings that turn green (just ask @Soletrane ). Also first editions didn't come with build tags and smells are a matter of how the bag was used, where it was used and what it was used for. I say "made with cheaper materials" as a matter of fact (not opinion). Shelter cloth and lighter weight interior twill dividers are both less costly than the usage of the 22oz variant. First editions did not feature shelter cloth and lightweight interior twill in their main compartments. These are dead giveaways for Filson's that are either repaired by Filson later in the bags life or feature the newly redesigned components when Bedrock revised the materials. Bedrock has had the reins for over 6 years now and many #70258's have come out since then. When I say "made with lighter weight dividers" I am referring to the main dividers of the #70256, #70257 and #70258 and the sewn in dividers and organizers in the main storage compartment, not the front pocket dividers of of the #70258, which may have featured lightweight material since before the transition of the #258 into the #70258.

My point wasn't to disparage the newer versions of the 70256/70257/& 70258's but to simply point out the differences and why it's important to exercise some brand awareness when shopping for your next Filson (or first Filson). There's not much information about this online, which is why I took the time to first explain it. I'm not here to debate the differences between first editions compared to new Filson's, as there have been changes along the way that have affected each iteration. The point of my post was to point out the main underlying differences between the three digit build number bags and the five digit build numbers. Not all eBay sellers correctly list their Filson's as the right versions. For instance they include titles with 3 digit build numbers like "#257" but in the pictures (if they think to include build tag shots), you can clearly see that they are of the 5 digit variants. I'm pretty sure it's unintentional mostly, as the #257/256/258 are iconic numbers sequences in the Filson community and very recognizable, unlike that of the 70256...etc.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all three digit build numbered Filson's have leather that is easily distinguishable and come with suede undersides and brass fittings that turn green (just ask @Soletrane ). Also first editions didn't come with build tags and smells are a matter of how the bag was used, where it was used and what it was used for. I say "made with cheaper materials" as a matter of fact (not opinion). Shelter cloth and lighter weight interior twill dividers are both less costly than the usage of the 22oz variant.

Not trying to get under your skin @OtterMeanGreen but these are your opinions. The early editions of Filson did NOT have brass fittings. They are plated. I have both and the brass is heavier, and denser. That has been pointed out here multiple times. We also do not know that twill is more costly than shelter cloth and shelter cloth is not what is used, it is dry tin cloth, at least the ones that I have seen. We can assume that these materials are cheaper due to the weight, but we do not work for Filson, nor are we the supplier so we cannot say for sure. I know that this was not the "point of your post, but you threw in some things that are very much debatable and stated as fact that simply are not and it should be noted that not everyone shares the same views, that is all.

Now the question is, will you use your 1000th post to reply to me? ;)

Last edited:

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Yeah, I doubt this is a management directive lol. If it is they're in serious trouble. I have had some questionable experiences with Filson CS. However, I have also had some great experiences, so I should give credit where credit is due.
Yeah, this was the first weird experience I've had with Filson CS. Back when I got my 2009 258, they were great with an issue I had. You mentioned you doubted it was a management directive but get this, the rep put me on hold after I asked my question, and when she came back on she said her supervisor confirmed her thought that the rough leather was placed there purposefully--to offer more "grip" as I mentioned earlier. So either that's the leather they're going with now (which I don't think is the case), or they were both making things up as they went along (more likely), or she didn't actually check with someone and just told me she did. I should also add, however, that she was very willing to authorize a return for the strap and the bag, so that's important to note (but with shipping paid for by the customer, of course).

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(but with shipping paid for by the customer, of course).
Funny that you say that... Filson is now offering FREE RETURNS for all online purchases. Straight from the website:

RETURN SHIPPING CHARGES
Shipping is now free on returns made in the US or Canada. We will ship exchanges to customers with addresses within the United States at our expense. Customers outside the U.S. are responsible for all shipping charges, duties, tariffs and taxes for both returns and exchanges. When shipping, please insure your package for its full value. Filson is not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced packages/items. We cannot refund shipping charges.

I looked into this because I got one of those water bottles from USFS and it was all banged up when it arrived. So went online to see if I could get a free label and there it was!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not gonna take the bait @TinMan3, not for #1000. Speaking of which it's hard to believe that I was able to contain myself after all this time and dedicate all 1000 to just this Filson thread. OMG now makes up for more than 1/10th of this thread, what an honor (I totally just referred to myself in the third person, you heard that right). I actually should've hit this mark months ago, but since I didn't start contributing until mid to late June 2017, here I am. That's about 150 posts a month; my God how do you guys put up with me lol?:rotflmao:

Well now that I hit 1,000 I will be checking out some of what Styleforum also has to offer, maybe I'll join in on a Redwing Heritage thread, or an Alden Indy thread lol. Maybe they will come to know just who I am and how relentless I can be at times. For post #1000 I give you the first ever shot of my #257 and #266 together in the same frame. The backdrop is my childhood play table that also was my Mom's childhood table and her Mom's (it's about 90 years old and still is quite table-like). Such can be said about my possible 26 year old, SOLID BRASS FEATURED (lol @TinMan3 ) #257 First Edition....had to get that in there. Thanks for putting up with me all these months and here's to another thousand :cheers:.

IMG_0356.JPG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to get under your skin @OtterMeanGreen but these are your opinions. The early editions of Filson did NOT have brass fittings. They are plated. I have both and the brass is heavier, and denser. That has been pointed out here multiple times. We also do not know that twill is more costly than shelter cloth and shelter cloth is not what is used, it is dry tin cloth, at least the ones that I have seen. We can assume that these materials are cheaper due to the weight, but we do not work for Filson, nor are we the supplier so we cannot say for sure. I know that this was not the "point of your post, but you threw in some things that are very much debatable and stated as fact that simply are not and it should be noted that not everyone shares the same views, that is all.

Now the question is, will you use your 1000th post to reply to me? ;)

Having said all that now I will make this my #1001 posting.............HAHA

The first edition Filson's featured SOLID BRASS (not plated), which can be shown in Exhibit A. If you can show me a Plated Brass Filson that can do this I will fully concede. I mentioned @Soletrane because he has a first edition small duffel that does not feature this type of brass (which may be because it's plated). Underneath it you will see a Solid Brass Zippo that features a similar tarnishing effect.

Are you stating that Tin Cloth (dry or oiled) or shelter cloth isn't less costly that 22oz twill? That was my only point I was trying to make, that it is in fact cheaper in price and long-term quality/durability. Both of these points are not my opinion but are facts. Solid Brass patina's into a green tarnish (as dipicted on my #257) and dry tin cloth (which if that is what the interior dividers are now made of that I am wrong to say Shelter cloth) is indeed cheaper than 22oz twill. I have owned both variants of the same bag; the #257 and the #70257 and can state as FACT, that the interior dividers are of a lighter weight (therefore cheaper) made fabric, and not of the 22oz. Hope that settles things.

Exhibit A:

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

PeQAPfR.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads