1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

so what bag replaced the 257?

is it as good/better than the older model?

if not, where can i find a new 257 at a good price other than ebay? or is ebay the best bet?

2. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Unless you want navy, which is on sale at Filson, eBay is undoubtedly your best bet.

3. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

thanks. and other than the 256, is there any other bag that works really well for work situations (laptop, notebooks, bagged lunch, etc.)?

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Was behind a guy on a flight to SFO. He had a brown 256. Two things struck me - how thick it was fully stuffed (more capacity than I thought). The 257 must be huge fully packed (but I get the need for capacity in a briefcase especially when traveling for business). The second thing I noted was the dreaded ‘furry’ underside of one his handle straps. This poor soul seemed completely unaware of his affliction too ;-)

Okay, my 257 is a Journeyman. Almost as much capacity as a 48h. Packed full as had to put cold weather clothes in there. It works better for me than carrying a large “travel” briefcase as I want at least one hand free (the other carries my duffle).

335268A0-D81C-4BB1-9CA6-5E0F71C90A73.jpeg

5. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Many other options, but it all depends on your personal needs. There is the tablet briefcase (smallest) 256 (medium) 257 (largish and kind of discontinued) and 258 (f-ing huge). The 257 is also very large, but works well for business travelers have a bit more to pack I look at it like 90% of people with fall into the 256-257 range.

Another sort of outlier option is the 24 hour (formerly the 72hr) briefcase. I have no experience with this bag, but it looks like, and has extra outside pockets which is a plus. It is however the only of the group that is primarily made of tin cloth, and some do not like that material for the day to day for a number of reason. I personally don’t care for it, but some swear by it.

A messenger bag wouldn’t be out of the question, but I personally don’t know why you would go with a messenger bag before a 256/257. There ya go, that’s my 2 cents.

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Trust me, Soletrane - I’ve had my eyes on the Journeyman - may even sell my Sportsman (ergh) to get one. I would have a problem getting ONE more Filson bag right now as I just took a little inventory and I may be at Filson Bag Overload Syndrome (FBOS) levels.

Either that or the 261 tote which I continue to watch and like more and more as I like the form factor.

I also just “won” a Barbour Beacon Sport Jacket on the big board so my self-imposed limit of spending on myself is approaching peak levels.

7. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

@TinMan3 , I agree with you about the 256/257 split - 90% of the people that need a briefcase will fit into one of those. I’d like to break it down a bit further and say that of the 256/257 split, I’d say that 80% would be more than happy with the 256 and the rest (20%) would want the 257.

I currently have two 256’s (will be posting a Talon-era one soon) and my daily carry is now the 257 - mostly because I travel so much and I appreciate the little extra room (by the way - to me it looks the same from the top, I only really notice the bigger size when I set it down and look at it from the side). I do appreciate the extra space inside though.

Now - @thefastlife: re: the 24 Hour Bag. I will tell you that it is a GREAT bag. It is basically the same size as a 256 with 2 big beautiful pockets attached to the front. The biggest down side is that it is made of the lighter-weight “tin cloth”.

Note: while the bag is made of lighter-weight material, the bag itself weighs almost exactly the same as the 256 - very, very close. I risked strange looks at home and weighed them on the kitchen scale.

I’ve owned two 24 hour bags - one in Navy and one in Tan. While I loved the Navy one, I thought the tan one looked “dirty” instead of “patina’d” after a while. Plus, the lighter-weight tin cloth just is not as heavy duty as the 22 oz twill on the 256/257. It’s more likely to last only 15 years instead of 30 years! I did find that it developed small holes in the corners but not too bad if you take care of it.

Some of us on here feel like the “ultimate” Filson EDC bag would be the 24 hour bag made of 22 oz twill. But, that is not in the cards, right now.

Hope this is helpful....

8. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I currently use a 256, but with the monstrosity of a laptop and all the gear I have to carry around with my traveling office as an auditor, a 257 would be a nice addition for me. I have been keeping an eye open on eBay for a super cheap one. The 256 is the perfect commuter, but doesn’t quite suffice the traveling office. It is surprising spacious though. It’s amazing how much I get in there.