1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Having said all that now I will make this my #1001 posting.............HAHA

The first edition Filson's featured SOLID BRASS (not plated), which can be shown in Exhibit A. If you can show me a Plated Brass Filson that can do this I will fully concede. I mentioned @Soletrane because he has a first edition small duffel that does not feature this type of brass (which may be because it's plated). Underneath it you will see a Solid Brass Zippo that features a similar tarnishing effect.

Are you stating that Tin Cloth (dry or oiled) or shelter cloth isn't less costly that 22oz twill? That was my only point I was trying to make, that it is in fact cheaper in price and long-term quality/durability. Both of these points are not my opinion but are facts. Solid Brass patina's into a green tarnish (as dipicted on my #257) and dry tin cloth (which if that is what the interior dividers are now made of that I am wrong to say Shelter cloth) is indeed cheaper than 22oz twill. I have owned both variants of the same bag; the #257 and the #70257 and can state as FACT, that the interior dividers are of a lighter weight (therefore cheaper) made fabric, and not of the 22oz. Hope that settles things.

Exhibit A:

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

PeQAPfR.jpg

2. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

3. thefringthing

thefringthing Member

Pulled the trigger on the 50% off navy 257 and a small travel kit.

4. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

@OtterMeanGreen I so appreciate your passion for the Talon Era, and I am not an expert, so I will leave this whole thing with 2 final thoughts:

1. Plated brass can oxidize as seen in the above picture as long as it is truly brass plating. You could be right, I just don't think it compares to my weatherproof straps hardware (Which was made in 2016 mind you :)), but I came to that conclusion on my own, as others should too.

2. Heavier material does not necessarily correlate with more expensive. I happen to think that their oiled tin cloth is extremely pricey to manufacture. Your conclusion is reasonable, but not iron clad. This conclusion also disregards any other possible motivations that the folks at Filson may have had for changing the weights.

Finally, 1000 is an impressive feat. Keep up the good work ;)

5. OtterMeanGreen

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 8:16 PM

6. OtterMeanGreen

Thanks! Some interesting things to consider and will try to contain myself. I would like to see a plated brass Filson from later years feature that same tarnished green patina. I’ve searched myself before posting but couldn’t find one like it. @Toombs has first edition filsons that feature the same green patina, so I know I’m not in the minority here.

Also I’m not going to argue that Filson doesn’t use plated brass hardware, as I have been quite the agitator on that front (the Thorn in Filson side so to speak). Even provided proof of a member on here proving to Filson that their “then current” claims of solid brass aren’t true (To which the CS rep concurred).

Can anyone else back up the claims that dry tin cloth is either cheaper or more expensive than that of 22 ounce twill? Genuinely curious myself

7. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I have a 2008 strap that has some tarnish on it, so I guess the question is when would the switch have been made. I can post a pic if you would like. It is nothing as dramatic as the picture you posted, but you can see it beginning to turn.