1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior Member

LOL If only, that sounds like a dream deal. That's why I love when eBay sellers give you the opportunity to let the Buyer just buy it outright. I have no problem with a little bidding war, as it can be exciting and get the blood pumping, but I've always appreciated a no nonsense deal. I would appreciate the nod, thanks!

2. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

My female / tan comment was a joke at your expense, implying that tan is masculine where as ...other colours- such as perhaps Otter green - might be less so!!!
    ;-)

3. OtterMeanGreen

HAHA well played speedy. Speaking of Otter Green since you're an old member here, do you remember this guy? I wonder how he achieved this, almost looks like the Tote has mutated into some form (like the Black Spiderman in the 3rd movie installment).

huh.jpg

Also it appears that John Stewart (love him or hate him) has an affinity for a nice Patina

980x.jpg

4. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

That top pic is a Filson strap looped through or clipped to the body tab to make a sort of backpack like sling. I initially wondered about the ability to carry the tote “hands free” but the friction of the straps on the shoulder seem to work well enough that it stays out 90% if the time. The upside is you never have that second dangling strap issue that happens with a 256/7/8.

Love the patina in the second pic!

5. Noonan67

Noonan67 Member

Not really new, bought an original briefcase in green in 91, just out of college. I've liked the green color since then, every single bag I own is in OtterGreen.

6. OtterMeanGreen

Wow!! Very cool, respect to a fellow Otter Green appreciator. Also 1991? That means that the Rugged Twill Luggage Line was started then and not what I originally calculated, which was 1992.

7. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Well-Known Member

I broke down and bought the navy 257 from the Filson website the day it was reduced further to 50% off. I have a tan 258 that was built in 2009, and I picked up a new tan 256 in August. The 2009 bag set the standard for me--rigid, hearty twill (I'm not sure I've broken in the top flap yet, 9 years on), and thick, smooth leather.

Both the 256 (with a 3/17 build date) and the navy 257 (with a 10/17 build date) seem to have a different twill--a fabric that doesn't seem quite as dense, and didn't have the light waxy feel that my old 258 had. The shoulder pad on the strap of the 257 was funky too--that dreaded rough, crackly stuff that's been talked about on the forum before. The CS person on the phone said that was deliberate in order to keep it from being too slippery, which I just don't buy.

Bottom line: for someone new to Filson, the navy 257 will be a delight. Still an excellent, high-quality, good-looking, overbuilt bag. But compared to the high standard Filson set for itself way back when, the new ones come up just a hair shy.

8. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

That is the biggest load of garbage I have ever heard. I'm almost embarrassed for them that they would make that excuse.

9. Noonan67

Noonan67 Member

It may have been 92, not sure of the exact date. The bag never had a build tag, as far as I know. I need to load a photo, it has aged well.

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I imagine that’s true that for many first-time Filson owners, the dry, crackly leather will fly below radar.

I am hoping - perhaps naively - that the new ‘translucent leather’ might be better. My reasoning is that it couldn’t be worse than the leather in recent production.

Coincidentally, I was just noting how the bridle leather on my Filson Field satchel is thick with a nice gloss. So they definitely have the capability to produce products with better leather. I also hear their new weatherproof leather bags are excellent too.

Sort of a shame that the bridle leather on my heavily used $35 Frost River dog leash is far superior to the bridle leather on Filson bags costing 10x as much!! And with heavier brass.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:18 AM

11. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I think it’s just a spontaneous excuse from an individual CS. A load of garbage nonetheless.