• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Islander

Reaction score
Thanks R. You happy with the SNS?
Come on Vancouver, for $190 I will put a brand new 256 in your hands... save me the shipping!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My trusty Filson 258 after ~14 months of use. I replaced the leather strap with a wider, custom made, fixed-length strap made of military grade cotton canvas webbing.

TPbUDh.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks R. You happy with the SNS?
Come on Vancouver, for $190 I will put a brand new 256 in your hands... save me the shipping!

love it. looks great with fit my 256 :D thanks again.

P.S. could you provide some feedback? thanks!
My trusty Filson 258 after ~14 months of use. I replaced the leather strap with a wider, custom made, fixed-length strap made of military grade cotton canvas webbing.
TPbUDh.jpg

gorgeous. and a lovely pic too

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

here's a super quick modification that I made to my zippered tote bag:
1. find and extra thin belt from the wife/girlfriend and thread it through like so:
6311453518_737632237f_z.jpg

2. then put the outside handle under the belt - which holds it down so it won't flop around. The belt will become a shoulder strap and the inside handle will become the other shoulder strap.
6311453620_97e51bf431_z.jpg

3. Now the tote can become a convertible back pack.
6310936785_62aa79ea54_b.jpg

Now your hands are free again.
I've had it like this for a year and there's been no problem with durability and its actually comfortable. the belt tucks into the outside pouch pocket when not in use. I've done this when riding a bike/commuting (no more fugly sport backpack/bike tote), and especially for travel with other luggage.
The above pic was from a Europe trip starting in Prague. The tote bag was my extra carry on. If you've seen one you know its cavernous and can hold tons of stuff.

I love this idea! I have stopped using my zippered tote recently because I find ti tough to keep in my hands while I am fumbling with iphone, camera, babies, etc. I have been cursing that it doesn't come with a shoulder strap but your solution looks good. I will try it! Thanks!

goalie35

Reaction score
Looking at getting a Filson bag to use as a diaper bag. I don't love the 257 or medium field bag because of the flap/straps (think that would be a pain if accessing it frequently), or the tote bags because of a lack of internal organization and a real shoulder strap. Anyone care to dispel these assumptions or suggest a bag that would be perfect for me? Thanks so much.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love this idea! I have stopped using my zippered tote recently because I find ti tough to keep in my hands while I am fumbling with iphone, camera, babies, etc. I have been cursing that it doesn't come with a shoulder strap but your solution looks good. I will try it! Thanks!

this setup looks horrific. just get one of the briefcases instead.

Looking at getting a Filson bag to use as a diaper bag. I don't love the 257 or medium field bag because of the flap/straps (think that would be a pain if accessing it frequently), or the tote bags because of a lack of internal organization and a real shoulder strap. Anyone care to dispel these assumptions or suggest a bag that would be perfect for me? Thanks so much.

Filsons are not known for their internal organization. Either get a zippered tote and deal (plenty of outside pocked, not much inside) or get one of the briefcases, or get something else. Personally I don't see the point of a Filson as a diaper bag, they age great, they aren't for convenience, unless you plan to have infant babies for 10 years straight?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this setup looks horrific. just get one of the briefcases instead.

Not ideal, I know... but the bag itself is great so I would rather not just have it sit in a closet. I wouldn't carry it around all day like that but there are times when I need both hands free and this looks like a good and simple solution. That being said, I am thinking about buying a medium field bag.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not ideal, I know... but the bag itself is great so I would rather not just have it sit in a closet. I wouldn't carry it around all day like that but there are times when I need both hands free and this looks like a good and simple solution. That being said, I am thinking about buying a medium field bag.

I only use the strap when I'm traveling or on my bike commute. Basically situations where I need to carry heavier things and need unencumbered hands/arms.

So when I get to my destination I just tuck in the strap and use it as a regular tote. No matter how secure/ergonomic messenger bags are - they suck compared to backpacks when it comes to hauling a lot of stuff comfortably.

Then again backpacks suck when it comes to looks - so I like having the extra strap that hides easily in my tote as a compromise.

rkusmant

Reaction score

get the tote bag and get camera bag insert, similar to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0292K701KQEC4XWG4VST

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The insert is a great idea for bottles etc but the lack of a strap on the totes is a problem if you have to carry a baby around. I thought about it and decided that a medium filed bag is the best bet. A small field bag would probably be sufficient if it is just a few diapers and other baby stuff.

But actually, I ended up getting a non-Filson backpack because I usually have a baby in a sling of some sort so the shoulder strap style didn't work well. If you are just looking for something to hang off the back of a stroller then a tote bag would be fine.

FOP

Reaction score

I would suggest the Sportsman's Bag. Made (presumably) to haul skeet-shooting gear it carries like a duffle but has usable exterior pockets and internal dividers/organization.

(GIS shows it fully loaded and fit pics)

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best filson bag for travelling (we're talking flying home for two weeks over Christmas etc)? I don't have a lot a clothing as it is and I've caught the 'pack light' bug...so I'm trying to decide between a large duffle or an XL duffle. The large looks about right but I'm wondering if the XL would/wouldn't be overkill. Any recommendations on colour (I'd like the tan if it was a dark tan, but judging by pictures it looks lighter then I'd like so I'm leaning towards green)?

If you've got one to sell I might be interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads