• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Islander

Reaction score
They probably had a few in stock, and once those were gone they had to backorder. No big deal, just bad luck if you were in a hurry to get it. I know Filson drop ships for other retailers so I'm sure it will be there soon.

Picked up my medium duffle in brown today, love it.

emale

Reaction score
kidtwist: I've gone through law school and did my best to try to get by with a messenger bag. That didn't last long. Case books get ridiculously heavy with a shoulder strap or with handles. While it may not look as good, I would highly recommend going with a backpack. You could of course carry 1 book + laptop in a 257, and carry the remaining books in your hands, but that gets tedious too. I would never put 3 casebooks + laptop in a bag. You'll regret it after walking about a block, and your back will hate you forever.

Last edited:

halberdklown

Reaction score
Just got a filson 257, how waterproof is it? It just started raining constantly here in LA and I'm wondering how stupid it would be to leave my computer in there as I walk around campus. I usually use an umbrella, but my backpack always ends up somewhat soaked

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd call it water resistant rather than waterproof. Water does not exactly bead off the canvas, if that's what you're looking for.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd call it water resistant rather than waterproof. Water does not exactly bead off the canvas, if that's what you're looking for.

+1. However if you spray it with suede protector, those dripptiy-drops will roll right off your filson. keeps its clean too

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I put mine through three rounds of waterproof spray, and it's most definitely close too waterproof. It has also looks brand new after three months of every-day work.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with the medium or large travel bag?

I have the medium. I like it, although I wish it were a bit narrower. When you fill it, it is a bit wide for sizers. and carrying it around, sometimes, it flips upside down.

I've only had an gate agent do a double take but that was on thanksgiving where they were gate checking everything...but I've taken it on an Embraer too w/o a problem.

I like it though, have gotten a few compliments on it.

some pics, this is a few years old.

3408367217_b0cd9fe973_z.jpg

3409176698_4846e7a03c_z.jpg

3409177548_0efa3a9029_z.jpg

Last edited:

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

I have the medium. I like it, although I wish it were a bit narrower. When you fill it, it is a bit wide for sizers. and carrying it around, sometimes, it flips upside down.
I've only had an gate agent do a double take but that was on thanksgiving where they were gate checking everything...but I've taken it on an Embraer too w/o a problem.
I like it though, have gotten a few compliments on it.
some pics, this is a few years old.
3408367217_b0cd9fe973_z.jpg

3409176698_4846e7a03c_z.jpg

3409177548_0efa3a9029_z.jpg

Mind me asking, does this bag have a hard bottom, separate or built in?

THanks.

johnnyletrois

Reaction score

Im considering purchasing the Filson 257 for law school. My heaviest load is 3 BIG law school books and my laptop + a couple pens and highlighters. Does the 257 have enough space to meet my needs?

I use mine for law school. I have an ultraportable 11" laptop tho, and I haven't yet needed to carry around more than the laptop, two casebooks, and FRCP.

So for it's working great for me!

sterlingprice

Reaction score
Even without any treatment it is far more waterproof than I expected. I got caught in a downpour late summer; stopped; turned my bag upside down, and about a half pint of water poured out of the outside pockets. The inside was still dry.

Caveat -- it was only out in the rain for a few minutes, and I expect it would have soaked through if I had taken longer to get indoors.

thesecondprize

Reaction score

Even without any treatment it is far more waterproof than I expected. I got caught in a downpour late summer; stopped; turned my bag upside down, and about a half pint of water poured out of the outside pockets. The inside was still dry.
Caveat -- it was only out in the rain for a few minutes, and I expect it would have soaked through if I had taken longer to get indoors.

This is my experience, too. The exterior pockets are the most likely entry point for water (assuming, of course, you've zippered the top and buttoned down the flap), because water will pool inside them.

Samir

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a nice weekend bag/carry-on that would last me a while, and Filson products seem to fit the bill. Browsing their website and reading through threads, their small duffle bag seemed like a good choice. I went to a local dealer to check it out in person and was reasonably happy with it. It seems on the small side, but others have mentioned how it holds more than it appears capable of - good enough for me.

However, the store also had one of the Sportman's bags marked 40% off. The store owner said there was nothing functionally wrong with it, but he had left it in the window and it had "faded a bit". It's the brown model and it did look lighter than the Filson website's stock photo, but looked no different from other pictures I've seen like this. The original price tag also said it was $275 - that's $20 cheaper than on the website, although I do know Blackbird used to carry it at that price a couple years ago, although they said the size was slightly smaller at 17"x11"x11".

So, it looks like I can get the Sportsman's in brown for $165. Any "fading" looked fine to me and I would much rather have the price decrease. My main concern is how it matches up with the small duffle as a travel bag - anyone familiar with both? I've read that it's good to call up Crane's when ordering Filson products, but I'm not sure how favorable their pricing of the duffle could be to compete with the Sportsman's at $165. Any advice is great, thanks!

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score
Anyone know if a MacBook air 13" (with or without neoprene sleeve) will fit into a 232 medium field bag?

Looking at the dimensions it looks as if it may - 12.8" vs 14". I'm wondering if the smaller opening on the 232 prohibits you getting it in & out easily.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads