Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Great story, Cold Iron. Really enjoyed that...

2. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

NevadaBob - reminds me of the Steve Martin scene in 'The Jerk' when he orders the "really fresh wine - I don't want any of that OLD stuff!".

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Cold Iron,
    Great story. The last photo is classic.

4. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

Thanks for the welcome mgrennier! I purchased a Filson rain coat a few years ago so I knew of the brand, but never had the desire to make a major luggage purchase. Last September on a business trip to Seattle, I took a factory tour and shopped the HQ store. I was told about the outlet store about an hour north by a fellow shopper and made a visit, where I happened upon the Labor Day sale (buy 1 item, get 10% off, 2 items 20% off, 3 or more items, get 30% off). Not one to pass up a deal, I naturally bought at least 3 items, mostly vests and more coats, although I picked up a Daypack, a McCurry Sportsman bag (which I have yet to use) and a few zippered totes. In January I bought a small bucket bag which I've been using almost daily to/from work to augment my aging leather briefcase (a Bob Timberlake from Bass Pro Shop). The briefcase was falling apart at the seams after 5 years of daily usage, so I sought its replacement, deciding on a Filson. Doing my research online, a stumbled across this thread and read the entire 450 + pages. When this year's outlet Labor Day sale came up, I pulled the trigger on whatever they had. I called them up, and the folks were very helpful, telling me over the phone what they had at a given day of the sale as they were still unpacking boxes of luggage items throughout the 3-day weekend. I also purchased two medium field bags which don't show in the pictures.

I must say, so far I like that Heritage Sportsman bag the best. It was a special edition, with the Horween leather accents. The two-tone leather of the Horween and dark brown bridle leather doesn't look good in the pictures, but I like it in person, seems to have a different character than in the pictures online. It also is made entirely of 22 oz. Rugged Twill instead of the 15 oz. Tin Cloth pockets of the current model. That makes it very stiff and ruggedly built. I liked it so much when it arrived, I bought a second one as a spare :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM

5. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

Thanks speedy611 for the welcome, much appreciated. Yes, it's the small Pullman. I also added 2 x Medium Field Bags during the sale (I hit up both Filson outlet stores over the Labor Day weekend as they have different inventory at any given day), one green and one tan. They are smaller than I anticipated, but I like the design and will put them to use during my travels.

After using the 256 for a week, I figured I'd like the 257 better, so I bought a tan, NWT, from eBay which arrived last week while I was away. I think this is a perfect size for me, that extra 2 inches of width will suit my needs better. I will use the 256 for airline travel, keeping my contents trimmed down to save my shoulder.

I will report on my use of the Suit Cover, it was a bit frivolous at the time, but I will use it during car business trips, and/or long weekends. It doesn't appear to hold more than a few hangers of items, but that's OK, I've got lots of folding space in the other items in my inventory, as you've noted. I suspect the Pullman and Suit Cover will be companion items for those trips.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM