• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG
GzStudio, "overbuilt" is a great descriptor. Lots of heavy bridle leather used all over the bag. The handle is like a little brick of leather.

It's not the most popular bag in the vintage market (clamshell designs are less popular than duffles I think), but in its day, it was one of the most expensive piece of luggage they made.

Yup, my early Talon version does not have the compression straps and has no zip on the front pocket.

Hey Soletrane, GzStudio, OMG ...

Have you guys noticed that some early 242s have brass reinforcement rivets at the attachment point for the handle and some do not? Wonder if this is a possible way to date these bags besides internal straps, Talon zippers and the outside zip pocket.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The power of suggestion [sigh]. You guys have been talking so much about pre-BD and Talon that you have me reevaluating my first Filson - the 242 large carry-on (in photo on right).

I have had this so long I can't remember when I got it (late 90s, early 00s?). But it had been mostly by-passed for active duty in recent years by everything from roller bags to other newer Filson to a new leather duffle. But sometimes on a long journey you come back to where you started and truly see it again for the first time.

It's built like a brick sh@thouse. Wears like iron. And it has all those nice details of the early Filson bags. Like the small Pullman, which it resembles, it's also a great design to pack and unpack folded clothes.

View attachment 845643
I'd image that your 242 is like an old friend. It reminds you of who you once were(and still am) when you first bought it, and the journey's it has accompanied you on along the way. Don't ever sell it!!! Pass it along to whomever will appreciate it.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Looking at rivets is an interesting thought...I called Filson to see if it could estimate the age on my leather foeld satchel and was specifically asked about the rivets at the handle. Mine has none so I was told that my bag was built in 2000 or earlier as Filson started adding those at some point in 2000. That's for the field satchel...not sure about other bags.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I hear you on classic look of the Filson Brown. One of the best things I like about Otter Green is the fact that it was one of two colors originally offered for Filson (so it has plenty of history attached to it). No offense taken about my Otter Green, I hear a lot of Military guys comparing it to the "Big Green Weeny" (I hope I got that right lol). That's one cozy looking cabin you got there, is your pooch a snorer? Respect to a Brown goods man, I myself am even more of a Bourbon fan than a Filson fan, belong to a couple of threads as well. I'm a NEAT whiskey drinker, even with Barrel Proof/Cask Strength. Going on the Bourbon Trail is on my Bucket List.

In those samples are: George T Stagg (143 proof), CA Gold, 2016 William LaRue Weller, WhistlePig Rye, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Willet Family Estate 14, Heavenhill Single 14, Barrell Cask Strength

View attachment 845445
Nice little collection there, Otter. I too enjoy the brown liquor and have about 80 bottles in my little collection. Many of them signed by legends like Jimmy Russell (of Wild Turkey), Fred Noe (grandson of Jim Beam whose face is on the bottle of the white Jim Beam bottle), Bill Samuels of Maker's Mark and an up and comer like Trey Zoeller of Jefferson's Reserve. I've had the chance to spend some time with all of them over the past few years.

In fact, on a recent golf outing, I combined my passions for the brown liquor with my Heritage Sportsman bag as I loaded it up with about 5 bottles of bourbon, rye and scotch, Carpano Antica vermouth, Luxardo cherries and the various bar implements to make what I currently call the world's best Manhattan. Of course, I think the zippered 261 would have been a better choice given it's vertical orientation, but a man's gotta make do with what he's got!

Oh and my bourbon? I like it neat, as well, although I do like to add a drop of cold water to open it up.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice little collection there, Otter. I too enjoy the brown liquor and have about 80 bottles in my little collection. Many of them signed by legends like Jimmy Russell (of Wild Turkey), Fred Noe (grandson of Jim Beam whose face is on the bottle of the white Jim Beam bottle), Bill Samuels of Maker's Mark and an up and comer like Trey Zoeller of Jefferson's Reserve. I've had the chance to spend some time with all of them over the past few years.

In fact, on a recent golf outing, I combined my passions for the brown liquor with my Heritage Sportsman bag as I loaded it up with about 5 bottles of bourbon, rye and scotch, Carpano Antica vermouth, Luxardo cherries and the various bar implements to make what I currently call the world's best Manhattan. Of course, I think the zippered 261 would have been a better choice given it's vertical orientation, but a man's gotta make do with what he's got!

Oh and my bourbon? I like it neat, as well, although I do like to add a drop of cold water to open it up.

Thanks @mgrennier, I meant to ask you about your avatar picture but never got around to it. Are those America Oak Bourbon Barrels? I have a friend in Kentucky who makes one of the components used for a Cooperage. 80 bottles!!! I'd love to see a picture of your collection. I'm well aware of Fred Noe, respect him and his family greatly. I've had several examples of Booker's, one of the best widely available barrel proofed bourbons out there. That's awesome that you have bottles autographed, that alone gets my respect. I'd love for a chance to meet some of these superheros (in the bourbon world) LOL what a coincidence, as in my modest collection I possess a bourbon from Jefferson's Reserve. Have you had any of the bourbons listed in my sample bottle collection?

That's very cool you were able to combine 2 passions; Filson and Whiskey. Why do you think I'm such an advocate for the 266...because those side pockets make for such a secure bourbon holster. Are you also a cigar aficionado? For me a fine bourbon isn't usually without a great stick to pair it with. No points lost for adding some water to open it up a little, many experts do it. I just love the oily rich, viscous mouthfeel, which for me, a neat bourbon can only provide. My favorite so far has to be Geroge T Stagg 17 years aged. (143 proof)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @mgrennier, I meant to ask you about your avatar picture but never got around to it. Are those America Oak Bourbon Barrels? I have a friend in Kentucky who makes one of the components used for a Cooperage. 80 bottles!!! I'd love to see a picture of your collection. I'm well aware of Fred Noe, respect him and his family greatly. I've had several examples of Booker's, one of the best widely available barrel proofed bourbons out there. That's awesome that you have bottles autographed, that alone gets my respect. I'd love for a chance to meet some of these superheros (in the bourbon world) LOL what a coincidence, as in my modest collection I possess a bourbon from Jefferson's Reserve. Have you had any of the bourbons listed in my sample bottle collection?

That's very cool you were able to combine 2 passions; Filson and Whiskey. Why do you think I'm such an advocate for the 266...because those side pockets make for such a secure bourbon holster. Are you also a cigar aficionado? For me a fine bourbon isn't usually without a great stick to pair it with. No points lost for adding some water to open it up a little, many experts do it. I just love the oily rich, viscous mouthfeel, which for me, a neat bourbon can only provide. My favorite so far has to be Geroge T Stagg 17 years aged. (143 proof)
Yes - I've had all of the ones you just pictured. In fact, I had a glass of the Stagg in your picture just two nights ago at the Conrad Hotel bar in Chicago. I had a couple bottles of the Rowan Creek - gave one to a Cop after he helped me try to find my stolen laptop bag (unsuccessfully, but I rewarded him for the effort.

The Maker's 46 is an easy-drinker - doesn't get a lot of respect but if you do a blind side-by-side taste test with original Maker's, you can definitely taste the different, more refined notes. You may not know this, but the reason they called it "Maker's 46" is because it was the 46th iteration of their experimental samples and this one tasted the best.

I'd take some pics of the collection but right now they're in storage in my in-laws basement since we're temporarily renting a house on Sanibel Island, FL for 6 months. I only have a few bottles out. My current daily drinker is Blantons.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked this 256 up from Ebay a few weeks ago for use around town. I work from home and am self-employed, so my need for a briefcase is minimal. But I really like the Filson bags and quality, along with the items of Filson clothing I've acquired for more outdoorsy pursuits.

I took my son up into the mountains for a bit of fly fishing. He can't go super-high up yet because he's only been off oxygen for a few weeks (he's a 3 month old who was born 9 weeks premature). He seems to dig sitting by the river. After that, we hung out in downtown Boulder for a while. This bag did the trick to carry a few diapers, milk, and my necessities (tablet and paperback).

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh and yes, re: my profile pic? Those are barrels from the Breckenridge Distillery in Breckenridge, CO. I was out there for a family wedding and convinced a few family members to go out for a tasting. It's a nice bourbon.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I've had all of the ones you just pictured. In fact, I had a glass of the Stagg in your picture just two nights ago at the Conrad Hotel bar in Chicago. I had a couple bottles of the Rowan Creek - gave one to a Cop after he helped me try to find my stolen laptop bag (unsuccessfully, but I rewarded him for the effort.

The Maker's 46 is an easy-drinker - doesn't get a lot of respect but if you do a blind side-by-side taste test with original Maker's, you can definitely taste the different, more refined notes. You may not know this, but the reason they called it "Maker's 46" is because it was the 46th iteration of their experimental samples and this one tasted the best.

I'd take some pics of the collection but right now they're in storage in my in-laws basement since we're temporarily renting a house on Sanibel Island, FL for 6 months. I only have a few bottles out. My current daily drinker is Blantons.

WOW REALLY?!?!? Very cool indeed. So that means not only do you know what CA Gold is....but you've been privileged enough to try it? I love my Maker's 46, still haven't tried regular Maker's Mark, but then again I actually just tried Knob Creek Small Batch. I tend to stay away from the mass produced/run-of-the-mill restaurant bourbons, and usually stick to Barrel Proof and Single Barrel. Funny thing is I've been into the hobby for over 2 years and after all that time, I'm finally trying the bourbons people usually use to get into the hobby :lol:. I tend to drink the lower proofed, under $35 Bourbons whenever I go to the cigar lounge, which makes sharing much less painful wallet wise lol (that's where Maker's 46 fits right in). I agree with you on its complexity, straight whisky or not it's quite elegant. I had actually heard where it got its name designation, luckily they didn't settle on batch 45.....otherwise people would've thought it had something to do with the ABV lol.

That was very gentleman like sharing a bottle with the Police Officer (my sister's a Detective in Atlantic City, NJ). I like Rowan's Creek but I much more enjoyed its older brother, Noah's Mill. Blanton's was my first Single Barrel and very memorable. I make it a rule to never try the same bourbon twice until I've tried every bourbon on the market.....a very fun rule I think lol. Booker's and most of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection are my only rule breakers, because of the very different proofs and batches. What was your first bourbon; the one that electrified you into this exciting hobby? Mine was Woodford Reserve Distillers Select.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked this 256 up from Ebay a few weeks ago for use around town. I work from home and am self-employed, so my need for a briefcase is minimal. But I really like the Filson bags and quality, along with the items of Filson clothing I've acquired for more outdoorsy pursuits.

I took my son up into the mountains for a bit of fly fishing. He can't go super-high up yet because he's only been off oxygen for a few weeks (he's a 3 month old who was born 9 weeks premature). He seems to dig sitting by the river. After that, we hung out in downtown Boulder for a while. This bag did the trick to carry a few diapers, milk, and my necessities (tablet and paperback).

View attachment 845736

Awesome little story, I hope the 256 continues to work well for you and age along with you and your son.

BTW: if you don't mind me asking; what sort of business do you run? I recently sold my business but see myself starting another one that will hopefully outlast myself this time around. This day and age it's tough starting all over again (which is the boat I find myself in). I co-owned and operated a Small Batch Coffee Roaster and Cafe in Central New Jersey.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome little story, I hope the 256 continues to work well for you and age along with you and your son.

BTW: if you don't mind me asking; what sort of business do you run? I recently sold my business but see myself starting another one that will hopefully outlast myself this time around. This day and age it's tough starting all over again (which is the boat I find myself in). I co-owned and operated a Small Batch Coffee Roaster and Cafe in Central New Jersey.

I run a consignment/resale business through Ebay. It's sort of the perfect combination of all the things I studied in school (photography, web design, marketing) and segues nicely from jobs I've had in the past. I have no employees, and can work whatever time of day.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a consignment/resale business through Ebay. It's sort of the perfect combination of all the things I studied in school (photography, web design, marketing) and segues nicely from jobs I've had in the past. I have no employees, and can work whatever time of day.
Very Cool Indeed :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow it's been over 2 days since the last post..........hmmm can't think of anything to start this fun train back up again....thinking thinking thinking............

Oh I know. I meant to share this with the board awhile ago but forgot. I'm sure some on here have read this article but for anyone who hasn't or wants to re-read click the link below (why? because its awesome that's why). It's about.....wait for it....a pre-bedrock Filson 257 LOL. But it's so much more than that. It's about a young lad who inherits an early 1990's 1st Edition 257 from his father, who carried it for 20+ years as a Doctor. It has been all over the world and is still alive and kicking. I know I rag on about Pre-Bedrock this and Talon Zipper that, but it's for a point. Its about the romance and attachment we form to these things, that have earned such esteem for. It's something that is hard to put into words, which I think is the point all together. If we could describe it, then what would be the fun of that, right? This young bloke could've easily bought a new Filson or maybe even a ballistic nylon or Louis Vuitton; but he chose to carry the same bag his idol carried for the majority of his life...how can you not get a little emotional about that.

My point I'm trying to make (and probably failing at because I've become known on here as the Pre-Bedrock advocate, which is fair) is that a Filson doesn't need to be Pre-Bedrock, have the old leather or even possess Talons in order for someone to attach the same feelings to these wondrous things. Who knows, in 20 years when Pre-Bedrock goes the same route as the Model T (appearing at shows and obscure places), we could be saying the same thing about YKK's and these early Bedrock examples. If Filson follows suit like Eddie Bauer, these early Bedrocks might be worth something and you'll have someone like me advocating for it and creating a demand (@Soletrane lol). (and @GzStudio creating a marketplace for them of course)

http://bestleather.org/vintage-filson-briefcase-computer-bag/

(The article has some errors: like "huge YKK zippers" when clearly the zips read "Talons")

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, I have noticed the phenomenon of people being really proud of an heirloom accessory before (e.g. watch, briefcase, etc). I think it happens most notably when the product has current market value AND affiliative value.

I think you would agree, for example, if his father had carried around his stuff in a beat-up old Tumi nylon briefcase or even an old canvas Lands End Square Rigger briefcase, he probably wouldn't have had a story to post as there is little interest in these items today. Or alternatively, if his father had bought the Filson bag but used it twice and then stored it in the attic for the last 25 years, it certainly would be a lucky find but again, probably no story.

I think men buy nicer stuff for themselves these days than previous generations of men did so I think there will be a lot more nice stuff being passed down in the future. I think the irony is that many of these men will also not have used these items very much (they moved on to the next briefcase or bag or watch as fashion cycles change) so the affiliative value to the next generation is far less than say your great-grandfather's Hamilton pocket watch which he wore every day of his adult life.

I was laughing to myself thinking of how a similar story about my father's early 80s hard plastic Samsonite attache would read. Is it possible that all these rustic Americana bags from Filson, Vermilyea Pelle, Tanner Goods, Makr, JW Hulme, Billykirk, Go Forth, Wiil&Faulk, Gustin etc etc will seem like those Samsonites of old? Lol.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Maybe I should just give them away and start over.....maybe start selling brown Filson bags instead? High demand, short supply....

Actually was re-thinking this. Instead of the Talon era, I think I should focus on the extremely low-run, Highly sought-after Filson Passage series briefcases and bags. Those have to be collector's items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads