Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GzStudio

GzStudio Member

I have a nice talon 242 in tan (sorry OMG) if you decide to play matchy-matchy......:) It is a nice bag. The leather on it, especially the handle is massively over-built. One thing i noticed is that the early talon 242 does not have the compression straps inside vs. the late model talon, early ykk versions....

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

GzStudio, "overbuilt" is a great descriptor. Lots of heavy bridle leather used all over the bag. The handle is like a little brick of leather.

It's not the most popular bag in the vintage market (clamshell designs are less popular than duffles I think), but in its day, it was one of the most expensive piece of luggage they made.

Yup, my early Talon version does not have the compression straps and has no zip on the front pocket.

3. Tom Lebrando

Tom Lebrando New Member

IMG_7429.JPG IMG_7430.JPG
    Hey Soletrane, GzStudio, OMG ...

Have you guys noticed that some early 242s have brass reinforcement rivets at the attachment point for the handle and some do not? Wonder if this is a possible way to date these bags besides internal straps, Talon zippers and the outside zip pocket.