Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

Funny when I was in search of that perfect Talon-Era Filson it wasn't the #257, it was actually the #256 in Otter Green. I had bought 2 of the #257's prior; one from Hanks and the other from Nieman Marcus. I ended returning both not because they were Bedrock; can you believe it lol? In total I've owned 4 Bedrock Filson's, sold 1 and returned 3. I returned one 257 because of the apparent leather issue, one side of the straps being of a light flimsy (almost cardboard like) leather. The other had that cheap wrinkling of the leather that was already starting to chip away. Plus the interior 22 oz twill dividers of the bag were clearly missing, replaced with lightweight waxed canvas. However the possibly 1990's #257 I possess today, although clearly heavier by its rugged twill contents, actually feels lighter on its feet. I'm glad I went with it because in the end I'd rather have the extra room when travelling, instead of having everything fit just right in the #256 but not have any extra space to spare. I would recommend looking for a Talon-Era #257 and experiencing all its glory for yourself....maybe @GzStudio has one that you fancy.

2. OtterMeanGreen

LOL good to know, I'll be sure to be on the lookout when travelling for any Filsonado's that have a Filson branded lock and key. If I fall asleep I'll have be careful my bag is not in view, as I also have a Filson branded lock & key.

3. OtterMeanGreen

That Sportsman looks BROWN, I had no idea they made that in BROWN and that they were made with YKK. I originally thought it was only offered in Tan, Otter Green or Black

4. OtterMeanGreen

Thanks @GzStudio I really do appreciate it.

5. GzStudio

GzStudio Member

IMG_7399.JPG My work-around for no key clasp in my Restoration talon'd 256.

6. OtterMeanGreen

Awesome idea, I'll have to stop off at Eastern Mountain Sports and get something similar from their rock climbing section.

7. speedy611

speedy611 Well-Known Member

I like the S biner style. They sit quite well on the leather tabs, and can accomodate a lanyard for key/knife, and/or the back strap of a baseball hat.

8. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I saw a navy blue Sportsman at the upscale dept store Fortnum & Mason in London a couple years back. It was amazing but expensive. Should have bought it [sigh]