Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

OMG, I have noticed the phenomenon of people being really proud of an heirloom accessory before (e.g. watch, briefcase, etc). I think it happens most notably when the product has current market value AND affiliative value.

I think you would agree, for example, if his father had carried around his stuff in a beat-up old Tumi nylon briefcase or even an old canvas Lands End Square Rigger briefcase, he probably wouldn't have had a story to post as there is little interest in these items today. Or alternatively, if his father had bought the Filson bag but used it twice and then stored it in the attic for the last 25 years, it certainly would be a lucky find but again, probably no story.

I think men buy nicer stuff for themselves these days than previous generations of men did so I think there will be a lot more nice stuff being passed down in the future. I think the irony is that many of these men will also not have used these items very much (they moved on to the next briefcase or bag or watch as fashion cycles change) so the affiliative value to the next generation is far less than say your great-grandfather's Hamilton pocket watch which he wore every day of his adult life.

I was laughing to myself thinking of how a similar story about my father's early 80s hard plastic Samsonite attache would read. Is it possible that all these rustic Americana bags from Filson, Vermilyea Pelle, Tanner Goods, Makr, JW Hulme, Billykirk, Go Forth, Wiil&Faulk, Gustin etc etc will seem like those Samsonites of old? Lol.

2. GzStudio

GzStudio Active Member

Actually was re-thinking this. Instead of the Talon era, I think I should focus on the extremely low-run, Highly sought-after Filson Passage series briefcases and bags. Those have to be collector's items.

3. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

I've never even heard of the Passage Series Filson before. A quick google images search and I'm in the know, but not really a fan to be honest. I'm sure this is not the case, but it almost looks like Ballistic Nylon from first glance.

What was the meaning of this series and when was it released?

4. GzStudio

GzStudio Active Member

This was a 'series' that never should have came to fruition....it was bad and replaced almost just as quick as it was introduced. It was that bad. It reminded me of really cheap vinyl luggage....the kind that lasts of course.

5. OtterMeanGreen

I hear ya!!! @Soletrane and I agree wholeheartedly. An heirloom possessing some current market value sure helps. If everything comes together it does make for one heck of a story to tell (such is the case in the article). I hope my Filson #257 (or even my 266) can be part of a story in the very distant future. I agree about people today buying nicer stuff, but with companies wising up (like Bedrock Filson maybe) and utilizing "planned product obsolescence" to create near future market retention, and the fact that people today are brought up in a "throwaway culture", I would be surprised if these potential heirlooms even survive to being just that; an heirloom. This is in regards to items that are meant to be used through heavy usage, like a Filson. I hope I'm wrong, but given examples in my own life make me terrified for the future. I'm sure many old enough to remember (I was born in 1984 so I can recall) that things of the past lasted a hell of a lot longer than the things we buy today. Maybe it was a car, a refrigerator or washing machine. It's funny but I don't remember these things breaking down much and I can recall them lasting for decades of heavy use.

I consider myself very lucky to have discovered Filson, because it made me appreciate being handed down heirlooms. In my past I would just look at it as something old and dingy (something that I didn't attach many nice thoughts to), and now I look at it as a valuable treasure. I imagine each item has a story to go along with it and a memory I feel honored to be able to continue. Just recently I was gifted by my mom, her Girl Scout Knife she used as a kid in the late 1950's. I plan on restoring it and using it until I'm ready to part with it, and hand it down to the next generation.

I would love to see that article about your fathers hard plastic Samsonite, I could just image how it would read. It reminds me of that Saturday Night Live movie "MacCruber" for some odd reason

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM

6. OtterMeanGreen

LOL Something just seemed a bit off when I first saw it, like I was surprised to see a Filson logo on something so ugly. I wonder under whose command this series released during, I can't image it was Stan Kohls or even a Mark Korros.