• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send it back for a replacement

Short and sensible answer. Unfortunately I don't have an equally short and sensible response why I won't likely return the Journeyman:
1. I don't think they make it it in Navy anymore which I greatly prefer.
2. The new version uses more tin cloth and less leather
3. I am not convinced the new one will be any better.
4. I paid 1/2 price so i don't feel so ripped off as if I paid the current MSRP.
5. Backpacks are very functional items for me in the sense I don't care for them the way I do the duffles. So it doesn't bother me as much if I found this problem on a duffle or briefcase.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short and sensible answer. Unfortunately I don't have an equally short and sensible response why I won't likely return the Journeyman:
1. I don't think they make it it in Navy anymore which I greatly prefer.
2. The new version uses more tin cloth and less leather
3. I am not convinced the new one will be any better.
4. I paid 1/2 price so i don't feel so ripped off as if I paid the current MSRP.
5. Backpacks are very functional items for me in the sense I don't care for them the way I do the duffles. So it doesn't bother me as much if I found this problem on a duffle or briefcase.
So where did you find the Journeyman for half price? I saw a guy in the office today with one (his was tan) and I thought I could see myself carrying one but I don't want to pay full boat.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So where did you find the Journeyman for half price? I saw a guy in the office today with one (his was tan) and I thought I could see myself carrying one but I don't want to pay full boat.

Hank's Clothing. They were running a half off sale for a while. Technically still are, but all the luggage has been sold out for a while (when you go to put it in the cart, it indicates sold out).

The Journeyman was one of the last things to sell out so I bought it. They had like 257 at half price not too long ago.

Despite my complaints about the leather now a few months later, I remember being thoroughly impressed with the quality of the construction and materials when I first received it.

It has saved my bacon on several trips - as the extra capacity has allowed me to take home souvenirs or put an extra pair of shoes inside so I can use a smaller carry-on.

My only complaint beyond the leather issue is that I will need to add a sternum strap. But otherwise the design is great for hauling a laptop etc.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning from Madrid today with my inaugural trip with my leather duffle. I know this forum is for Filsonistas, so I will keep my comments limited to a comparison to my usual Filson duffles!

On the plus side, this bag is lighter and more comfortable to carry than my Filson. The comfort aspect because the handles are rolled leather. Secondly, the Horween Essex leather of the bag has a softer feel than Filson twill so as your leg brushes up against it while you walk, it feels pretty nice! It can also carry a lot of clothing and contain it into a relatively narrow compact form.

On the negative side, while it's not flimsy or likely to tear, I won't toss it around curbside or on the sidewalk or check it like my Filson bags. Leather patina is great, but I don't want giant scratches on it.

Overall, this is a bag to carry clothes for a business trip and to my mind, it excels in this respect. I am liking the less rustic look especially for international business travel where I feel my Filson duffles can translate stylistically almost as military, safari or camping gear. Granted, it's not great for carrying hard sided gear and I would prefer the Filson if I am going to be in rough weather (or "rough" airports in certain countries).

So most of us tend to categorize our bags by use - I see the leather duffle as my airline carry-on for business travel. For everything else - I will go Filson

IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG

GzStudio

Reaction score
Awesome!!
By any chance is this the guy? I nearly bought a MTB from this guy. His prices are a little high and he usually only has TAN lol

http://www.ebay.com/usr/gzstudio77?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I remember the conversation and it looks like you have your direction figured out, which is a quite good one :). For what I sell, I price what the market will bear and thus far, people are willing to buy. I also mainly do 'or best offer' as something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Tan is by far the most popular and requested (Filson Tan I call it).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the brands you mentioned there. I'm an avid rock climber and backpacker/hiker; and Filson stuff is not aimed at those activities. The fishing side of me? For sure that's one of their targets. I came to know Filson by way of Pendleton. My high school biology teacher wore lots of Pendleton wool flannels, and started me on the path to appreciating the more classic outdoors brands. Yet I still wear Patagonia and Arc'teryx more than anything else.

The more I dig, the more I dig the differences between brands and what they excel at.

I wear Arcteryx daily during the fall and winter months (I have 4 of their covert cardigans) along with many filson shirts to work. I also have an Arcteryx backpack, pants, and shells that I use for camping/hiking/snow. I do use Simms more than Filson for fly fishing (although I think the filson waders are/were made by simms?).

I think Filson is going more towards a mass, everyday use model, while still keeping the niche categories of products they started with and introduced over the years. I think this diversification (tracker shirt?) allows for the niche products to remain and new products to be developed, as I do not think Filson would survive on niche products alone (odds are this is why Filson was put up for sale/sold orginally). I see no issue with this, other than the reduction in material quality in their pieces vs retail price. I think this quality reduction is due to their desired profit margins, massive amounts of products offered, and their supply houses ability to give them what they want in the time frame needed to meet their profit margin goals(Horween, wickett & craig,etc...). It's unfortunate, but needed to stay competitive and grow. Arcteryx is another example of this, but does have a little better quality control on their outsourced products from other countries.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great points, GzStudio. I think profit margins aside, Filson is trying to make its signature products in the US unlike most other brands so they can't get the huge cost savings that provides so they have to reduce their material costs, increase prices, drop models that don't sell etc etc.

I am curious if Filson outsourced manufacturing overseas but provided pre-Bedrock quality if the Filsonados would still be fans.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Great points, GzStudio. I think profit margins aside, Filson is trying to make its signature products in the US unlike most other brands so they can't get the huge cost savings that provides so they have to reduce their material costs, increase prices, drop models that don't sell etc etc.

I am curious if Filson outsourced manufacturing overseas but provided pre-Bedrock quality if the Filsonados would still be fans.

I would have no issue with them outsourcing if the new product was superior. That said, I find Filson would have a hard time doing this 100% based on their 'Made in USA' moniker....but they are slowly drifting away from that anyway, so maybe they can.

I do think their model is a bit schizophrenic in the fact that they want to be and portray themselves to be this 'heritage' or niche brand, but are trying a little too hard appeal to the masses/new audiences (leather purse?).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They did outsource production of some stuff (only clothing, as I recall). It failed miserably. Quality was fine. People who quality clothes manufactured overseas will still go with Patagonia.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They did outsource production of some stuff (only clothing, as I recall). It failed miserably. Quality was fine. People who quality clothes manufactured overseas will still go with Patagonia.
They also recently outsourced the production of the rolling travel bag - which I own in Navy. Customer Service told me it was due to their limited expertise in producing the plastic parts, wheels, etc.

That said, it seems to have the same leather and the same rugged twill as my Made in America Navy Medium Duffle. I have no problem with it, honestly.

Now if they were to outsource the manufacture of their Original Briefcase or their rugged twill duffles, I think you'd see a minor revolt (on this forum) and a drop in sales/reputation in the general marketplace.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the conversation and it looks like you have your direction figured out, which is a quite good one :). For what I sell, I price what the market will bear and thus far, people are willing to buy. I also mainly do 'or best offer' as something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Tan is by far the most popular and requested (Filson Tan I call it).

I wear Arcteryx daily during the fall and winter months (I have 4 of their covert cardigans) along with many filson shirts to work. I also have an Arcteryx backpack, pants, and shells that I use for camping/hiking/snow. I do use Simms more than Filson for fly fishing (although I think the filson waders are/were made by simms?).

I think Filson is going more towards a mass, everyday use model, while still keeping the niche categories of products they started with and introduced over the years. I think this diversification (tracker shirt?) allows for the niche products to remain and new products to be developed, as I do not think Filson would survive on niche products alone (odds are this is why Filson was put up for sale/sold orginally). I see no issue with this, other than the reduction in material quality in their pieces vs retail price. I think this quality reduction is due to their desired profit margins, massive amounts of products offered, and their supply houses ability to give them what they want in the time frame needed to meet their profit margin goals(Horween, wickett & craig,etc...). It's unfortunate, but needed to stay competitive and grow. Arcteryx is another example of this, but does have a little better quality control on their outsourced products from other countries.
Fair points. I may've put my foot in my mouth with that comment "prices are a little high", thought about deleting it, but that wouldn't be what I'm all about (which is transparency, which you will see clearly in my former posts). I did see you have some Filson in Otter Green so I can't fault you for only having Tan (or Filson Tan) as that is the most popular color for Filson Rugged Twill Luggage (I believe outselling Otter Green 2 to 1). To be completely honest I didn't think that you were the one that @mgrennier bought from...I mean would anyone think this world is that small lol? Didn't think we'd cross paths again so my apologies for insinuating that your items are priced high. You know your market and I'm positive that you've had more than a few successful transactions to prove it.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Fair points. I may've put my foot in my mouth with that comment "prices are a little high", thought about deleting it, but that wouldn't be what I'm all about (which is transparency, which you will see clearly in my former posts). I did see you have some Filson in Otter Green so I can't fault you for only having Tan (or Filson Tan) as that is the most popular color for Filson Rugged Twill Luggage (I believe outselling Otter Green 2 to 1).

No worries on my end, everyone is entitled to their opinions :) it takes a lot to hurt my feelings. I am an open book and I try very hard not to hide anything. It just isn't right.

I personally like otter green on many of filson's products. I also like moss in their heavy tin. I do wish they made the heavy tin briefcase in their dark tan....I'd like them to bring back from the 'archives' the heavy tin in general. I guess Gustin has decided to go that route instead.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this is certifiably the most controversial topic point of Filson today, and certainly one of the most discussed points on my behalf. In the end its all personal opinion as to what their gut tells them is right. Where as I agree completely that Filson is trying to go the Eddie Bauer route and go mainstream...maybe appear in a few shopping malls and get picked up by major suppliers like Bass Pro Shop or maybe even large sporting good chains. I however think that they were better served as a very niche and targeted market. I think this strategy will even result in them losing their once coveted "hipster market". I'd personally rather they not attempt anymore sacrilege on a company I feel truly calls back towards a different and simpler time. I know this may shock some people but I'd rather them try to hang onto their roots and fail doing so then to mutate into something that I firmly believe the average filsonite, talonite, filsonado (whatever terms people like) would hate to see. There is certainly a plus side for this...well for sellers like yourself only; which is that second market pricing would go through the roof with buyers wanting to experience that pre-bedrock quality and reliability. Whereas buyers like myself and @Soletrane would certainly not want to see those prices get any higher. It's already tough to justify to family the benefits of buying a 20 year old briefcase for more money that a brand spanking new one lol

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries on my end, everyone is entitled to their opinions :) it takes a lot to hurt my feelings. I am an open book and I try very hard not to hide anything. It just isn't right.

I personally like otter green on many of filson's products. I also like moss in their heavy tin. I do wish they made the heavy tin briefcase in their dark tan....I'd like them to bring back from the 'archives' the heavy tin in general. I guess Gustin has decided to go that route instead.

Pitching in. All my Filson stuff is bedrock except my vintage double Mac Cruiser. I'm more than happy with the quality and I haven't paid full boat for any of it.
I happened into the London Filson store today and I have to say that everything still felt of tremendously high quality and the uniqueness / heritage wasn't overplayed.
That said the nylon stuff is junk and the sales guy basically admitted it wasn't selling that well and was a tough ask next to the twill!
Anyway I generally agree that the 2 pronged approach of old and new side by side would make sense from a market share perspective. Getting repeat business for goods so durable makes having a high lifetime value per customer quite challenging!

So let's agree that we must be vocal in ensuring quality doesn't slip (further?) but that we are harsh critics and probably atypical!

GzStudio

Reaction score
I think this is certifiably the most controversial topic point of Filson today, and certainly one of the most discussed points on my behalf. In the end its all personal opinion as to what their gut tells them is right. Where as I agree completely that Filson is trying to go the Eddie Bauer route and go mainstream...maybe appear in a few shopping malls and get picked up by major suppliers like Bass Pro Shop or maybe even large sporting good chains. I however think that they were better served as a very niche and targeted market. I think this strategy will even result in them losing their once coveted "hipster market". I'd personally rather they not attempt anymore sacrilege on a company I feel truly calls back towards a different and simpler time. I know this may shock some people but I'd rather them try to hang onto their roots and fail doing so then to mutate into something that I firmly believe the average filsonite, talonite, filsonado (whatever terms people like) would hate to see. There is certainly a plus side for this...well for sellers like yourself only; which is that second market pricing would go through the roof with buyers wanting to experience that pre-bedrock quality and reliability. Whereas buyers like myself and @Soletrane would certainly not want to see those prices get any higher. It's already tough to justify to family the benefits of buying a 20 year old briefcase for more money that a brand spanking new one lol

Filson used to be carried by major chains; Cabela's and Orvis are 2 that quickly popped into my head. I do not believe Bass Pro ever carried them, but I could be wrong. REI now has some online stocked items. The new owners stopped going that route and are going directly to the consumer as their main channel, while still keeping the 'flagship dealers' out there. I am not sure how long that will last though. They are definitely branching out to a wider audience for a larger revenue stream. This along with cost cutting measures means higher gross margin, which I am sure is what Bedrock really cares about. LL Bean went this route as well as Orvis. You can see what it did for Orvis. I had high stock in that company in the 80's and early 90's, but it has since gone to crap in my opinion and now I see Orvis fleece vests in Costco....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth