• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

letsi

Reaction score

I have the Original Briefcase and a Zippered Tote Bag (and a few more). Of the two, I would say the Zippered Tote Bag is more practical - you can easily cram stuff into it, even bulky objects like shoes or clothes. You can stuff the Original Briefcase but that isn't what it is really intended for. To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.

So yes, a different use for each.

I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business use

My point really is that the Original Briefcase is suitable for everyday business use. I agree that the Original Briefcase can hold the items you mentioned (and probably more) and make a fashion statement at the same time.

This is of course unique only to me but the Original Briefcase is not suitable for the other uses that I sometimes have in mind. I have tried squeezing in two pairs of shoes, another pair of slippers, a change of clothes, a couple of water bottles and the like. They did not fit so nicely unfortunately. In other words, the Original Briefcase isn't meant to be a gym bag (and I appreciate it has never really been represented as one anyway). And that's where I guess the Zippered Tote Bag would come into play.

To be fair, I like them both and use them both for different activities. :)

zipper tote 256 257 here. They are all loved equally

I have a 256 very good for carrying laptop etc

I also have medium field bag for carrying everything else, got it mainly for water bottles and diapers during the weekend.

Got to say I agree with most of what's said here and the fact that difference requirements meant different bag preferences :nodding:

I started out with a 256 navy harris tweed, purchased a 257 in Tan and a luckyXfilson collab sportsman bag and finally a 261 zippered tote in OG
I sold my 257 since it's not getting any use with the 261's addition and just bought a 230 small fieldbag in Tan (can't leave out the iconic filson color from my bag lineup) for my ipad and other misc items when I don't want to carry a bigger bag around. Still missing out on the brown but the contrast between the leather and canvas is a little lackluster for me so there's probably no place for it in the near future.

Here's what I've finally ended up with. The line up might change in due course but that's what keeps life interesting and fresh yeah? :satisfied:

BNf7B8h.jpg

Apologies for quality of this mobile snapshot...

Last edited:

alaskagriz

Reaction score
I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment. This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack. It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine. Now the bag is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257.

letsi

Reaction score

I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment.  This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack.  It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine.  Now the bag is perfect.  Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257. 

Well, I did think of removing one of the dividers on the side where it has the 3x protruding pockets but I don't want to void my Filson warranty after discovering that the leather holding the D-rings to the shoulder strap cracks easy (just discovered a hair line crack on those for my 256 as well) as well as the fact that the stitching on them comes off easy. A number of posters have made exchange due to that piece of leather and its rivet coming off from I have seen on this thread...

I'm not sure if it's revolve's stocks issues (got both the 256 and 257 there) or not... I'll not send it back but I'll probably hand carry the bag for the rest of its lifespan.

That said, if you removed all the dividers in your 257, isn't that functionally a 261 zippered tote but with top flap and shoulder strap?

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
N/A

Last edited:

bremser

Reaction score
I have a Filson large briefcase in white denim from Unionmade that I've had since January. Posting three mobile snaps - one of the closed exterior (side away from body), detail of side against hip of body and another detail of the top flap open. I had another tan colored camera bag that transferred indigo in the same location, so I was expecting it to be blue. Haven't attempted to spot clean that area, suspect it might not improve the look.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wow, that indigo ruboff actually looks pretty rad!

trvlr472

Reaction score
My field bag. It's not much newer than the original briefcase. it's got to be at least 10 years old.

Oops, sorry, that's the briefcase again. Here's the field bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads