• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk

Reaction score
I have the Original Briefcase and a Zippered Tote Bag (and a few more). Of the two, I would say the Zippered Tote Bag is more practical - you can easily cram stuff into it, even bulky objects like shoes or clothes. You can stuff the Original Briefcase but that isn't what it is really intended for. To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.

So yes, a different use for each.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.

So yes, a different use for each.

I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business use

Silk

Reaction score
My point really is that the Original Briefcase is suitable for everyday business use. I agree that the Original Briefcase can hold the items you mentioned (and probably more) and make a fashion statement at the same time.

This is of course unique only to me but the Original Briefcase is not suitable for the other uses that I sometimes have in mind. I have tried squeezing in two pairs of shoes, another pair of slippers, a change of clothes, a couple of water bottles and the like. They did not fit so nicely unfortunately. In other words, the Original Briefcase isn't meant to be a gym bag (and I appreciate it has never really been represented as one anyway). And that's where I guess the Zippered Tote Bag would come into play.

To be fair, I like them both and use them both for different activities. :)

I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business use

HarrisonTran

Reaction score
I have a 256 very good for carrying laptop etc

I also have medium field bag for carrying everything else, got it mainly for water bottles and diapers during the weekend.

trvlr472

Reaction score

I have to agree. I'm a truck driver and own a few pieces of Filson luggage and quite a bit of their clothing and I have had an original briefcase for well over 10 years. Fashion has nothing to do with it. I wore out 3 cheap briefcases in less that two years before I bought the Filson. High quality stuff saves you money in the long run. It just sucks handing out the kind of cash good stuff costs at the time of purchase. As for what I carry and have carried in it on a daily basis while working and when I'm not working?

3 pairs of glasses, stapler, calculator , three chargers, a rather large organizer, an address book, a magnifying glass, various vitamins, and other personal items, a .45 auto, and up to 4 spare mags (when I'm not out on the road), spare batteries, digital camera, 2 cell phones , bluetooth headset, pens, a couple of notebooks, receipts, gloves and everything in between from time to time.

It still shows very little wear except for the four corners on the bottom which are slightly frayed and I take it everywhere with me when working and not. Yes, it's hard to find what I want in it from time to time but I know it's all in there.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 pairs of glasses, stapler, calculator , three chargers, a rather large organizer, an address book, a magnifying glass, various vitamins, and other personal items, a .45 auto, and up to 4 spare mags (when I'm not out on the road), spare batteries, digital camera, 2 cell phones , bluetooth headset, pens, a couple of notebooks, receipts, gloves and everything in between from time to time.

I would love to see the packed-unpacked pictures of those! Sounds like some crazy compartmentalizing skill was involved. With 257 I can definitely chuck anything I need for a day at school/work. 256 on the other hand.. :embar:

trvlr472

Reaction score
I would love to see the packed-unpacked pictures of those! Sounds like some crazy compartmentalizing skill was involved. With 257 I can definitely chuck anything I need for a day at school/work. 256 on the other hand..
shog[1].gif

There are some pics of it "mostly stuffed" earlier in this thread. They may be in the other Filson thread. When I was new to the forum I might have put them over there not knowing this thread existed. Compartmentalizing? NOT! As I said in the post, it's hard to find what I want but I know it's all in there. I've had the .45 disappear before. "I know it's in here some where............."
biggrin.gif

I just looked. The pics are in the "Official Filson" thread. Page 45, post#663.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Filson Original Briefcase. I can't remember exactly when I bought it but I know it's at least 10 years old. I've carried everywhere I've gone all over the country and whenever I have time off. I never go anywhere without it. It's held up well. I have one of their field bags that is almost as old and it has held up just as well. It has traveled constantly as well. Not the best pics but that's all I had time for right now.
Not sure if eww or awesome. Probably freaking awesome :slayer:

Ecstasy

Reaction score
My new Filson 256 original briefcase has a strap that is too long for my small frame (5'8"). Anyone shortened the strap before? Do you just punch holes at the clasp part of the strap or something?

trvlr472

Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the tag for that bag?

Do you mean the tag that is on the inside of the top flap? No, I don't but I could take and post one when I get home in a couple of days. I don't have the time to mess with it out here on the road. I'm amazed I had the time to crack open the laptop tonight.

Last edited:

trvlr472

Reaction score
Was more wax applied? I've never seen one develop a shining like that

Yes, I washed and re-waxed it by hand a couple of years ago. The lighting may have had to do with the shine when I took the pics. They were just quick pics with my Galaxy S4 and they were taken indoors under light. It doesn't shine like that under natural light. I'll see if i can take a few more pics of it when I get back home under natural light. There really is no "shine" it just looks like it was "waxed".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads