• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite plain white t-shirt?

PeasantLLC

Reaction score
Try Generra's white tees. They do a crew and v-neck. One style is 50% cotton, 50%modal that feels incredible and washes up perfect. The fit is cut close to the body without looking like a muscle shirt. We have a lot of guys that buy in bulk and use them as undershirts, but they're really ment to go either way. I'm currently sold out of that style, but I would highly recommend hunting them down. The 100% cotton style will be showing up later this season.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ino
hmm what do you guys do about yellowing of white tees?

try Adidas "cotton tech", it supposedly doesn't stain. I'm trying it now and so far it works great.

as for my plain white t-shirt of preference, aa v-neck hands down.

thesternowl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ino
hmm what do you guys do about yellowing of white tees?

Do you mean yellowing under the arms or yellowing of the shirt in general?

Yellowing under the arms is likely solved by what ahaz recommended.

General yellowing on the shirt...well...I've had this problem and tried to figure out the source of the discoloration myself. I could very well be wrong (perhaps someone could enlighten me) but I'm pretty sure it's caused by prolonged exposer to cigarette smoke from nights at the bar or in clubs. Not sure what to use to fix this phenomenon though I'm sure bleach would help...I've just never tried.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard/read that yellow caked anti-perspirant stains are permanent.

I never had any luck getting them out, one of the reasons I switched to straight deodorant (funny, the alzhiemers warnings didn't motivate me to change, but once my shirts were getting ruined, I couldn't switch fast enough).

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap 2xist undershirt shirt at TJMaxx on a whim and really like it, I don't know how it'll hold up over time, but it's perfectly fitted and comfy
(and has a tight collar a MUST for me, I hate big loose open collars on an undershirt).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Using bleach for a long time will make your whites yellow.

You could try using bluing on them - it's a faint blue dye that is supposed to make them appear whiter.

I loved the Polo RL white undershirts (sized down) until I washed them and now the collars look all weird. T-shirts need to have a band all the way around the inside of the collar so the collar doesn't curl.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cd1
could anyone point me in the direction of a hanes beefy t wholesaler?

walgreens used to sell them for like $2 a pop. Couldn't beat that deal as far as screenprinting goes.

soultek

Reaction score
The Uniqlo T I bought last week was 4.90$, donno if it's Pima Cotton. I like the fit (I'd say a little slimmer than a regular cut T, with normal sleeves). Good material feel and weight.

They come in like 25 hues V or crew neck. Next time I'm in new york I'll be tempted to buy one of each..

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to say I ordered a lot of tees from OAKNYC (I mean their own brand) last yr. Those fit me really well and the quality is pretty good. Love them!

Ahaz

Reaction score
What about plain tees that run a little longer? I have some older Fruit of the Loom that fit the bill, but the fabric is terrible and the new ones I bought today are shorter.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White T Guide:
1. Go to Foot Locker or some similar store
2. Purchase Big White Tee (Size up 3-4 sizes)
3. Go outside, take your old Big white tee off and throw it in the trash, then put your fresh new Big White Tee on
4. Repeat the next day

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Uniqlo uses pima - I really want to check some out now. It sounds as though they may do a pima and a regular cotton - can anyone confirm? How does the fit compare to AA? I might beg and plead with a NY Steezer to grab some for me.

Anyway, I mostly agree with rauch, in that I think paying triple digits for a plain tee is lunacy; however, speaking of pima, I've picked up l/s stuff from both Adam+Eve (slightly AJ) and Splendid Mills and been really pleased with it. S/s are just under $40 for the A+E and just over for SM, but I think that's a good value if you like the fit - quality/construction are a cut above AA (although I'm a big AA fan).

RobSay24

Reaction score
I swear by Uniqlo's plain cotton tees. You can't beat 3 for $12 (or $4.90 ea.). They fit great on me (slightly fitted). I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. and a medium is perfect for me. I must have 10 tees in my closet now. As for undershirts, 2xist in the winter and Fruit of the Loom in the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads