• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Carry (Picture Edition)

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

willy, I have the black kaijin hook and it does not bend through hard use, it is very sturdy. However, it is no longer black, but mostly copper with a bit of black on it. I get compliments on it and the patina, but I prefer the black murdered out look. My $.02

Good to know. I've kinda wanted one for a while but was always worried about key retention since it doesn't have a locking mechanism. As cool as it looks, I would hate to lose my keys just from having the hook somehow slip off a beltloop while jumping around/running/being drunk or something. :embar:
Hey... Jeeze, did not even notice it has bent. It may happen over long use, but I did have someone try to steal my wallet a couple of months ago. May have bent then..

Cheers. :)

Ah, I see. Thanks.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know. I've kinda wanted one for a while but was always worried about key retention since it doesn't have a locking mechanism. As cool as it looks, I would hate to lose my keys just from having the hook somehow slip off a beltloop while jumping around/running/being drunk or something. :embar:

This will not happen. I have to deliberately take the hook off and put it on. You will be golden - I have actually had just as good of results as with a carabiner.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone recommend a decent small flashlight to me? I usually use a Mini Maglite, but wouldn't mind upgrading if there are better options. (I use this a lot as I live on a small farmstead that I'm turning back into a working farm, and so checking on chickens, dogs, and so on at night is a frequent occurance!)

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a Fenix E05 R2, $20 on amazon.

No issues, owned for 7 or 8 months, runs on a AAA, 27 lumens IIRC, and it puts off plenty of light for me. Simple and compact which is what I want on my keychain.

Good luck.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could someone recommend a decent small flashlight to me? I usually use a Mini Maglite, but wouldn't mind upgrading if there are better options. (I use this a lot as I live on a small farmstead that I'm turning back into a working farm, and so checking on chickens, dogs, and so on at night is a frequent occurance!)

I have a Jetbeam E3S XPG-R4 which puts out 155 lumens on a single AA and a Nitecore DFI XPE-R2 which puts out 145 lumens on a single AA. Both of which are very pocket friendly and shines a blinding amount of light, good enough to fully light up a large room/long hallway/dark stairwell/etc.

You should look into these online retailers like: GoingGear, 4Sevens, and BatteryJunction amongst others.

GoingGear also does great reviews on lights through their Youtube channel.

Here's some lights that I've recommended to a few SFers:

1 cell CR123 lights:
Quark MiniX 123 -210 lumens.
Quark 123 Tactical R5 -205 lumens, SFer gettoasty has this.
ThruNite Neutron 1C XML -255 lumens.
Sunwayman V10R R5 -210 lumens, magnetic control system.
Sunwayman V10R R5 Ti -210 lumens, magnetic control system. Baller version of the above in titanium.

1 cell AA lights:
ThruNite Neutron 1AA XML -145 lumens.
Zebralight SC51 -200 lumens on a single AA is very impressive.
Sunwayman V10A R5 -140 lumens, magnetic control system.

2 cell CR123 lights:
EagleTac P20C2 MKII R5 -300 lumens.
EagleTac P20C2 MKII XML -Updated version of the above, 524 lumens.
Quark 123² Turbo "X" -Uses the latest XML emitter and puts out 450 lumens.
Quark 123² Turbo, R5 Edition -Although it doesn't put out as much light as the above(this puts out 230 lumens), it uses the older R5 emitter which can throw farther whereas XML emitter lights put out a giant wall of light in your immediate vicinity. Really up to you as far as preference goes.

2 cell AA lights:
EagleTac P20A2 MKII -230 lumens and R5 emitter.
EagleTac P20A2 MKII XML -271 lumens, updated version of the above.
ThruNite Neutron 2AA 2 x AA XM-L LED Flashlight -260 lumens.
4Sevens Quark AA² Tactical, R5 Edition -205 lumens.

But yeah, as far as choosing; just read specs, compare, watch videos(a lot of video reviews are on youtube), and read reviews.

Last edited:

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my Emerson QC7 and Chris Reeve Sebenza small folder.

0eead6fb.jpg

Not home at the moment but have another Chris Reeve fixed blade and William Henry. Will probably start using the Sebenza as EDC soon in place of my Emerson, but it's been in the box for a while..

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do so many of you carry knives?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool. I'm going to go back and read this entire thread... it's fascinating. I have a Leatherman Freestyle
00ae.png
that I carry sometimes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

a lot of people have good luck with the lights from dealextreme.com
They have a big enough community of reviewers that post full reviews/pics/videos that you can avoid the duds (which there are many of). Stick to things that have a few reviews or have been reviewed on somewhere like candlepowerforum

I just ordered one of these yesterday to store in my motorcycle (I paid the extra dollar or two for this version with the extension tube so I can run it with either one battery or two) after it was suggested on there:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-cree-c3-flashlight-with-2xaa-extension-tube-bundle-4452

I have a knife from there that is nice for the $7-8 it cost but I wanted to add something a little smaller to my motorcycle toolkit so I have ordered that sanrenmu 710 since DX didn't have anything I liked in that size.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do so many of you carry knives?

Why don't you try it for yourself, carry a small knife, and report back. I own plenty of knives and tried carrying one with me as part of my EDC. OK now, come in close. I am going to tell you something every other weekend warrior won't admit - for most people, carrying a knife is completely unnecessary. Go to any EDC forum and find a thread with a title like: "What did you use your knife for today?" and they'll say things like "UPS dropped off a package and I cut it open with my Sebenza". Or "I opened my bills with it." Once in a while you'll get someone really interesting like a paramedic (the 1%) and they'll have great stories about how they cut up a trauma victim's sweatshirt or they cut IV tubing with it. Or similar stories from firefighters or police officers.

Most people and I mean *most* people, have no need for a pocket knife on a daily basis. Do i cut stuff? Sure all the time. I have a box cutter at home and at work. I have letter openers at both places. I have two blocks full of knives in my kitchen. I have a seatbelt cutter in my car. I carry a knife when I go hiking or camping. But when I walk around the city, go to the movies, or sit here at work, no.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to carry a leatherman squirt. Little multi tool with knife, pliers, screwdrivers, file, etc. I used it on occasion although probably 75% of the time I used it, I was home and could have just grabbed a real tool in a couple of steps.
I forgot to ditch it before getting on a plane and the TSA confiscated it....

I felt very little need to replace it....I have a bottle opener on my key chain, and that is about the only tool I use now.

No desire to carry all of this **** in my pockets--some of it would be nice to have around, but pocket-bulk sucks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

focalprice.com
payment through paypal, and recommended on some edc forum, so should be safe enough.

Did you get yours? They refunded my money and the 710 doesn't show up on their website...maybe you got the last ones (I think I ordered right after you as I was inspired by this thread) :)

I went ahead and reordered off of brilliantstore which was about the same price and free shipping...hopefully they get it to me (but since these guys all drop ship from asia ...it will be a while). They take paypal too as well as a bunch of other sources so I am not super worried about shadyness (running an amex through paypal is about as safe as you can get as a buyer)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads