• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, seeking some advise.
I am thinking to order my first belt and considering to go for a lined belt. I usually wear braces with my suits, jackets etc. but recently started to go into more casual (my tailor did some nice casual chinos). In a nutshell
- color australian nut (looks like the most versatile color)
- what do you recommend lining color ? do you advise same color or another one ? difficult to visualize this.
- size 1 1/4
- buckle ? Palladium myfair ? It looks like aspley is not an option at 1 1/4 width.
-thread color: soil
- 7 holes at 3/4

so really looking for a conservative belt. Probably this will be the only belt i will purchase for a while.
thanks.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, seeking some advise.
I am thinking to order my first belt and considering to go for a lined belt. I usually wear braces with my suits, jackets etc. but recently started to go into more casual (my tailor did some nice casual chinos). In a nutshell
- color australian nut (looks like the most versatile color)
- what do you recommend lining color ? do you advise same color or another one ? difficult to visualize this.
- size 1 1/4
- buckle ? Palladium myfair ? It looks like aspley is not an option at 1 1/4 width.
-thread color: soil
- 7 holes at 3/4

so really looking for a conservative belt. Probably this will be the only belt i will purchase for a while.
thanks.

Hi! Other people might have some feed back too, but here are my thoughts

Id consider a Baranil Calf Lined and Raised if you're looking primarily for a fairly light Chino type belt. The Mid Brown is a similar colour to the Australian Nut and is a great general purpose colour. The Palladium Aspley is a really good choice, though Id also consider the Palladium Aspley, in 35mm its a really good Chino width.

The Bridle Leather Lined and Raised is lovely and would certainly work. The reason I suggest the Calf is the Bridle is quite a hefty belt, its 6mm thick in the centre, vs 3.75 - 4mm for the Calf. Its a really statement belt and they look greats but I know I prefer the calf when I wear Chinos vs the Bridle for Jeans or Cords. If you do go Bridle Id say maybe Light Havanna for the lining, and the rest of your choices look good

Hope thats some help!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive just added our Harrow folio to the website. Its available in our oak bark tanned Bridle leather from Bakers in Devon, here in the UK. Perfect for a smart underarm folio that'll hold a laptop, notebook etc, its 15" x 10 1/2" x 1 1/2"

The Harrow

dsc_5866_2.jpg

dsc_5857_2.jpg
dsc_5869_2.jpg

20% VAT deduction for you lucky non Brits!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive just added our Harrow folio to the website. Its available in our oak bark tanned Bridle leather from Bakers in Devon, here in the UK. Perfect for a smart underarm folio that'll hold a laptop, notebook etc, its 15" x 10 1/2" x 1 1/2"

The Harrow

dsc_5866_2.jpg

dsc_5857_2.jpg
dsc_5869_2.jpg

20% VAT deduction for you lucky non Brits!

Charlie

Hi All,

We've added three new Bakers colours, Australian Nut (milk chocolate coloured), Dark Havanna (dark chocolate) and Black to the Harrow and some of the small leathergoods. They're only on the website for the Harrow at the moment but they are available for all the products we use Bakers leather for on request and will make their way to the website as we update the products.

The colours are in the same full grain oak bark tanned bridle as we currently use, so the same tremendous character, grain, patination and longevity as the Oak Brown and London Tan we've used forever

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello All,

We're just finishing the design in the next of our briefcase family, this time a smaller version (15x11x 3 1/2"). The case has the same sculpted handle all our briefcases have, but attached with hand plates rather than a top stay like the full sized case, a single compartment, stitched rather that wrap around straps and a different set of proportions. The overall idea is for a smaller, lighter weight case that will take a laptop and notebook, but with less weight and size as the full sized version. I really like the proportions. It'll be on the website soon

Charlie

IMG_6901.JPG

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Fantastic stuff, as always, Charlie!

What leather is the tan bag?

Hello All,

We're just finishing the design in the next of our briefcase family, this time a smaller version (15x11x 3 1/2"). The case has the same sculpted handle all our briefcases have, but attached with hand plates rather than a top stay like the full sized case, a single compartment, stitched rather that wrap around straps and a different set of proportions. The overall idea is for a smaller, lighter weight case that will take a laptop and notebook, but with less weight and size as the full sized version. I really like the proportions. It'll be on the website soon

Charlie

View attachment 1633662

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Ben. It’s Bakers oak bark tanned London Tan. It’s actually not the nicest shade or piece of leather hence it’s use in prototyping rather then production. Regular London Tan is a bit richer and warmer in shade

Charlie

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the timeframe on a bridle belt these days? How about a calf lined and raised?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi!

Time frames are a bit slower at the moment as we come out of lockdowns etc. We are going a bit slower but also our tanneries are which can slow things down. A regular bridle belt is currently 5-6 weeks, a calf L&R is 14, if you need them for a specific date just let us know though, we’ll do everything we can to help. As the situation stabilises we’ll get back to our regular lead times.

hope that’s some help!

Charlie

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Time frames are a bit slower at the moment as we come out of lockdowns etc. We are going a bit slower but also our tanneries are which can slow things down. A regular bridle belt is currently 5-6 weeks, a calf L&R is 14, if you need them for a specific date just let us know though, we’ll do everything we can to help. As the situation stabilises we’ll get back to our regular lead times.

hope that’s some help!

Charlie

Follow up question for you. You suggest an extra 0.5” for the lined and raised bridle belt. Do I need to the same for the lined and raised calf belt?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Follow up question for you. You suggest an extra 0.5” for the lined and raised bridle belt. Do I need to the same for the lined and raised calf belt?

definitley not. The calf belts are the same thickness as the regular belts and more flexible so no need to add the extra 1/2”

hope that helps!

Charlie

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Thanks Ben. It’s Bakers oak bark tanned London Tan. It’s actually not the nicest shade or piece of leather hence it’s use in prototyping rather then production. Regular London Tan is a bit richer and warmer in shade

Charlie

Got it – yep, that's what I suspected. Thanks!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Our new full grain oak bark tanned bridle leather colours from J&FJ baker have just landed with us. Heres a quick snap of the leather still with its bridle wax bloom. We're going to make it available for belts, accessories, watch straps and briefcases. Its not available on the website yet but happy to take preorders, just drop me a DM

Australian Nut to the Left, Dark Havanna and then Black

Charlie

DSC_7600.jpg

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

A few photos of belts from our new JfJ Baker leathers. They're all variations of the standard Bakers formula to our own spec, entirely full grain and oak bark tanned, so a beautiful leather that will age amazingly. We really love working with these leathers, its all we use in our briefcase range for example, the best bridle leather in the world available in our opinion and with far more character than more homogenous leathers

You can find them on the website here Bakers Oak Bark Tanned Bridle Leather Belts

Dark Havanna

dh_jeans2.jpg

Australian Nut

an_sun.jpg

Black

black_jeans.jpg

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Heres our Music Case, thought Id share some photos. As with all our briefcases this is full grain oak bark bridle from JFK Baker, made here in Devon, England, and entirely hand stitched. Its a slightly quirky design that I really like and is very suited to carrying a lighter load than a full sized briefcases or for those with a lighter frame (like me) who might not want the size of a full briefcase. Its 15" wide x 10" high and 1 3/8" deep (38cm x 26cm x 3.5cm approx)

The Equus Music Case

Charlie

DSC_7789.JPG

DSC_7785.JPG

DSC_7781.JPG

DSC_7777.JPG

DSC_7768.JPG

DSC_7758.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads