• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other Summer news it's Hoochie Daddy Short season

^^^ legit LOL at this video. It's awesome.

I'm glad that we're doing our part for Hoochie Daddies and "Hoochie Season" overall.

I love it! I've been living that Hoochie Daddy lifestyle for years now!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You are the absolute OG of this style! I feel that we were doing 5" inseam shorts for you back in like 2015.

In other entirely random news, we're going to launch a new Rivet Chino project tomorrow. Got a bunch of awesome fabrics, including three new colors of Space Dye Tweed. The collection is pretty workwear-ish (cannonball canvas, wabash denim, space dye, military sateen, etc).

I'm struggling with the name. We were batting around "Rough and Tough," but I'm not sure how appealing that is. It's fun that it rhymes. I started googling "Tough and" to get some ideas, and found that there is a movie from the 90's called "Tough and Deadly," which features Roddy Piper and a pre Tae-Bo Billy Blanks. There's a edit of all the face kicks that occur, and it's just - remarkable....

jms

Reaction score
I started googling "Tough and" to get some ideas, and found that there is a movie from the 90's called "Tough and Deadly," which features Roddy Piper and a pre Tae-Bo Billy Blanks. There's a edit of all the face kicks that occur, and it's just - remarkable....

The one when he pauses, looks back, and then kicks him over the railing 😂

It's either Tough and Deadly or Hoochie Handrail.

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
Did any of the Cali canvas suits shrink drastically during the dye process? Just got my gunmetal one in and the sleeves are comically short. Not sure if they need a good steam to relax everything or not?

I just got my cosmic camo Sinclair. I have not had a chance to measure it, but laying it out next to my existing sashiko Sinclair, I would estimate the sleeves are 3-4 inches shorter. I can't even close the cuff. The new Sinclair is one size down from the previous since the previous felt big, but I don't think that accounts for 4 inches of loss in the sleeve. The body is similarly short.

On the bright side, the Wilhelms are just about the right length without a hem.

Attachments

• difference.png
    difference.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 79

espen

Reaction score
I just got my cosmic camo Sinclair. I have not had a chance to measure it, but laying it out next to my existing sashiko Sinclair, I would estimate the sleeves are 3-4 inches shorter. I can't even close the cuff. The new Sinclair is one size down from the previous since the previous felt big, but I don't think that accounts for 4 inches of loss in the sleeve. The body is similarly short.

Ok so it’s not just me. The jacket is shorter than any Doyle I’ve ever had and the trousers feel more like really slim Rivets than the Wilhems I ordered.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been about that life...I look forward to the day when it once again falls out of fashion so noobs stop thinking I'm one of their hipster friends :rotflmao:
Though, my nieces never fail to make fun of my shorts...so at least I know I'll never be "in" style wise to them lol

L.I.T.

Reaction score

Ok so it’s not just me. The jacket is shorter than any Doyle I’ve ever had and the trousers feel more like really slim Rivets than the Wilhems I ordered.

PMing you soon about that.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are the absolute OG of this style! I feel that we were doing 5" inseam shorts for you back in like 2015.

Been about that life...I look forward to the day when it once again falls out of fashion so noobs stop thinking I'm one of their hipster friends :rotflmao:
Though, my nieces never fail to make fun of my shorts...so at least I know I'll never be "in" style wise to them lol

My wife used to occasionally get on me about the shorter shorts but she's gotten used to it to the point where now if I where anything over about 7" she says it looks strange. 5" is definitely my sweet spot!

I like that shorts for men have slowly gotten shorter again over the past few years. As a not-very-tall guy, for a long while most mass-produced shorts made me look like I should have been playing with the Fab Five circa 1991.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My wife used to occasionally get on me about the shorter shorts but she's gotten used to it to the point where now if I where anything over about 7" she says it looks strange. 5" is definitely my sweet spot!

I like that shorts for men have slowly gotten shorter again over the past few years. As a not-very-tall guy, for a long while most mass-produced shorts made me look like I should have been playing with the Fab Five circa 1991.

As a designer, I'm super glad that we're here. I'd always look to offer shorter inseams for our shorts, but they were always insanely difficult to sell. We'd even offer 5" swimming trunks in our stores, and guys found them to be too short.

There's nothing wrong with preferring longer inseams for the look, but the comfort of a shorter inseam on a hot day can't be overstated. It's rad that guys feel comfortable these days just wearing what they want. And I honestly love how the Laidback short came out, I think it's one of the best products that we've ever done.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't shout out particular shirting fabrics all that much, but we just received a makeup of the "Albini Alabster Floral," and it's really one of the best floral fabrics that we've ever offered. This thing was absolutely stunning in person!

The factory has enough for about five more units if you dig it. Here's the link on our site

DSC04987 copy.jpg

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score

Long shorts were so goofy. Being a suburban high schooler in the late 90s, my impression was the social ban on short shorts (or even medium shorts) for guys was rooted in gay panic. But that’s a heavy topic for Styleforum!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a designer, I'm super glad that we're here. I'd always look to offer shorter inseams for our shorts, but they were always insanely difficult to sell. We'd even offer 5" swimming trunks in our stores, and guys found them to be too short.

There's nothing wrong with preferring longer inseams for the look, but the comfort of a shorter inseam on a hot day can't be overstated. It's rad that guys feel comfortable these days just wearing what they want. And I honestly love how the Laidback short came out, I think it's one of the best products that we've ever done.
I have a running joke with my friends that my 5" shorts are too long and I need 3" or 4" to properly show off my thighs.

I have some 4" swim shorts that I would wear to pool parties that some of my more conservative Republican friends would try to make fun of me for wearing. I would just tell them "you're just jealous that your wife wishes you had a body like mine. When you look as good as me you too can show off."

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying being in HS with 2 future NBA players...and your dipshit coach using one of them (the taller one, no less!) as the base template for team uniforms. Nothing says intimidating like a bunch a pasty white beanpoles in 2X jerseys...the shorts honestly might have been even longer than Fab Five era. This was smack dab in the middle of tall T era :rotflmao:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying being in HS with 2 future NBA players...and your dipshit coach using one of them (the taller one, no less!) as the base template for team uniforms. Nothing says intimidating like a bunch a pasty white beanpoles in 2X jerseys...the shorts honestly might have been even longer than Fab Five era. This was smack dab in the middle of tall T era :rotflmao:

This reminds me of a chant we started at one of our HS home games. One of the visiting players was really, really skinny, so much so that when he lifted his arms, you could see through the armhole across his body through the other arm hole. We started chanting Larry...Birdchest. And, yes, I'm an old. Larry Bird was still playing at the time, although it was the last couple years of his career.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads