• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying being in HS with 2 future NBA players...and your dipshit coach using one of them (the taller one, no less!) as the base template for team uniforms. Nothing says intimidating like a bunch a pasty white beanpoles in 2X jerseys...the shorts honestly might have been even longer than Fab Five era. This was smack dab in the middle of tall T era :rotflmao:

I wish I could find it now but there’s video of Jalen Rose playing in some local youth rec league back in the ‘80s when he was about 12 and he’s just towering over all the other kids. It’s comically unfair.

We’re moving away from shorts but now I’m reminded of this scene from what is definitely one of the top Simpsons episodes of all time:

Reactions: jms

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Rivet Chino Preorder Project: 12 Perfect Fabrics for Fall

YYlxUW1uoJ0y1wUOmEYb6_wgtDetuSTymZlzxYJ8rjEE9dRcpZwqsj0sZ8uv2_2XIYpCVEkeT9FlooF-XYq72W-UzF0E-BS7gikELey8QpIau8R07zC5aiw=s0-d-e1-ft

We're back with a phenomenal new preorder project! This time around we're offering a phenomenal range of 12 cotton and cotton-blend fabrics... each of which is perfect for the upcoming Fall/Winter season.

We've got THREE new colors of our famous Japanese Space-Dye washable tweed. There's four stripe and herringbone patterns. Three gorgeous Japanese broken twills. One perfect military olive cotton. And the raddest "Big Chief" flannel that you've ever seen!

Preorder now to save 25 to 30% off the MSRP and secure your ideal fabric and size. We have vibrant photos and an HD video available through the link.

Pre-Order Link Below
RIVET CHINO TWILL, SPACE DYE, AND TWEED PROJECT

d3eAaNuMnbL9Ro0nrbPH_llQoEUwznMIwhotz53ZIqF_vML8usvAbCYlw6HSXC-PNtHx0VtYMjTzLF76mWU4dYhjlMiBtrzXLsEG9594ScUHf0GUQcsjFC8=s0-d-e1-ft

Nq6sjMKTh5Y2NVyPamNlFs_wG22wHwm8WxhiH-KqsoAO1W_JhTJzf_e_XjVgdeITJUPzGnVRu3KRzsGCZDrUmj2iJjjfhcalUSqX2v7S1MTavMbB4jgjiII=s0-d-e1-ft
ZgaNzr2_Vica9615CL0-RBef8QAQ75xQOENu-Ur3FJQJSqs_JFnQoVfN35nCWXIPOahrcESB5VI--Ieio5BvfyE5rJiDl4KkgKkPfVBv7y1z-hoaCLTOI7Y=s0-d-e1-ft
yLxEUDj0wnHmpf_YKfmDu9k5TbqE63Y-UAvT5Hm88EdGxFjqUBCyo-2pst4zl0pYttzHnw_Va_TgCdpezA5DreFb1RexOY03sVT6mEe4Z56menEn5-ugi14=s0-d-e1-ft
Sl-LEcryQGTsA1CKt0dhsLh8h8adqGotKkWXhBDXbJhhEjAwsdZ1RcvqV3wnBpsxq8LhWqySmuZ-nC9A6nGQ_X_xlAxGRZDVLJ8dfDEwrihZUrcRZqoU09I=s0-d-e1-ft
SRtko181P9tuevzj8ZiPsrUbb9qocZtF7jcc_RQ0W1Awhwq6mGVNVhH5sHD1A1gxYcry0yAb6lNd8UIb8GveA8njWu6aHJg22jUNZwayHFRQ2JlqE5_Cm-4=s0-d-e1-ft

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Long shorts were so goofy. Being a suburban high schooler in the late 90s, my impression was the social ban on short shorts (or even medium shorts) for guys was rooted in gay panic. But that’s a heavy topic for Styleforum!

As a retailer, it was fairly impossible to sell any shorts with a length less than 7" even a few years ago. Longer, baggier shorts were a trend from the late 90's on that really lasted. It's weird, because shorter shorts were definitely the norm in the 1970s and most of the 1980s. I mean, even Radio Raheem was wearing about 6" inseams in Bed Stuy in 1989...

radioraheem.jpg

Longer, baggier shorts and pants really ascended in the early 1990s as a backlash to this trend. You saw it in skate culture, "alternative" rock, and hip hop. And this was definitely reflected in basketball uniforms - exactly as you guys said. I think that shorter shorts were seen as less masculine, because so many guys in popular culture and sports would only wear long ones.

It's refreshing that much of this stigma has gone away. Shorter inseams are straight-up more comfortable. It was really satisfying to make these shorts!

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
I noticed the absence of Wilhelms in this rivet chino pre-order. Are we just not ready for the higher rise like the shorter shorts? How did the Wilhelms do in the Cali canvas? I know my two new pairs of Cali Canvas Wilhelms are great.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a retailer, it was fairly impossible to sell any shorts with a length less than 7" even a few years ago. Longer, baggier shorts were a trend from the late 90's on that really lasted. It's weird, because shorter shorts were definitely the norm in the 1970s and most of the 1980s. I mean, even Radio Raheem was wearing about 6" inseams in Bed Stuy in 1989...

radioraheem.jpg

Longer, baggier shorts and pants really ascended in the early 1990s as a backlash to this trend. You saw it in skate culture, "alternative" rock, and hip hop. And this was definitely reflected in basketball uniforms - exactly as you guys said. I think that shorter shorts were seen as less masculine, because so many guys in popular culture and sports would only wear long ones.

It's refreshing that much of this stigma has gone away. Shorter inseams are straight-up more comfortable. It was really satisfying to make these shorts!

Michael Jordan set trends on a lot of things besides just sneakers. Long shorts were another. As were bald heads.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed the absence of Wilhelms in this rivet chino pre-order. Are we just not ready for the higher rise like the shorter shorts? How did the Wilhelms do in the Cali canvas? I know my two new pairs of Cali Canvas Wilhelms are great.

glad that you like them!

because our Willhelm customer base is smaller than the rivets, I’m not able to offer the same extent of a fabric selection. But I think we can run a Willhelm pre-order for this in a few weeks. Most likely use some of the best selling fabrics from this rivet production, and adding some basics like navy and olive cannonball canvas.

All of these fabrics will be available for custom RTC orders on Tuesday as well. The pricing should be pretty fair, I think about 225 for the cottons and a little bit more for the space dye. So you will be able to get a Wilhelms in any fabric and size through that process.

chrispy650

Reaction score
Just got the laidback shorts in the air force blue. Fabric is awesome but I’m also loving the fit. I have thicker thighs (wilhelms fit nicely) so the larger thighs and the shorter inseam are perfect for me.

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Just got the laidback shorts in the air force blue. Fabric is awesome but I’m also loving the fit. I have thicker thighs (wilhelms fit nicely) so the larger thighs and the shorter inseam are perfect for me.

Happy you love the fit! We reworked it from scratch to make it more comfortable whether you have big or small thighs. Our new pant coming soon will have the same top block as the short.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Happy you love the fit! We reworked it from scratch to make it more comfortable whether you have big or small thighs. Our new pant coming soon will have the same top block as the short.

+1, that's so great to hear @chrispy650 !

@L.I.T. really spearheaded the effort to optimize the fit on these. Even though shorts are relatively simple, getting the exact proportions right took a bit of trial and error. I think that the fit ended up uniquely good, and really strikes the balance of a thigh that's generous enough to be comfortable but can still look tailored and sharp.

I've done a lot of shorts in the past, but I feel that the Laidback short and our Mesh Basketball short are the two best shapes that we've offered.

And as Ming said... we're going to release the "Kata" pant later this month, which is essentially the Laidback short as a full length pant. Our pricing on it is going to be really strong, and we'll have a huge project going around it.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
20% OFF ALL SASHIKO BLANKETS!

Although these work well inside and outside the house, they're really spectacular as a beach or picnic blanket. They're soft, comfortable, and machine washable. When we get back from the beach, we just shake the sand out, toss it into the machine, and it's good to go. The size is perfect: large enough to sit or lay on comfortably, but compact enough to comfortably fit into a standard washing machine. Plus they look awesome!

You can take 20% off the whole collection this weekend with the code blanket20

They're in stock and ready to ship immediately, so expect to have them in hand quickly!

Click here to see the whole assortment.

Aubergine Blanket Main.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Air Force Wool Possibilities

For you guys who got the Air Force shorts, I'd love to know what you think of the cloth. I'm honestly really smitten with it, and I'm thinking of where we can offer it this Fall.

I think that the color is perfect. It's very "Blue Angels," and it's a great, saturated dark French Blue.

The fabric is definitely comfortable and tough as hell. Machine washable. And entirely mothproof if that's a concern.

Outside of the radness that it's deadstock and mil-spec, it's also fairly inexpensive. Bit more pricey than basic cotton, but definitely a lot cheaper than dress wools.

I love this as a pant. We can certainly offer it in items like the Rivet/Wihelm, and the new Kata pant. Pricing there is going to be just a bit higher than a simple cotton.

And I love thinking about it as RTC trousers. This would be absolutely brilliant as a Taylor or a Nico.

For jackets... I'm not so sure. Could you guys envision this as a Doyle or a Sportcoat?

Short Air Force.jpeg

jms

Reaction score
It does look like a great shade for a casual pant or even dress trouser.

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking forward to seeing those. Can I make the suggestion of having at least one of tbt back pockets with a button? I get anxious about my wallet in looser elastic pants when they don’t have one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads