1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Okay, so not to be a voice of dissent here but...

I bought a pair of Smiths true to my rivet chino size and really regretted it. I wish I had sized down from my normal 32 to a 31 or possibly even a 30. They just, for whatever reason, don't fit me as well as the rivet chinos do. In fact, my Smiths have turned into my denim that I wear when I'm going to a function where I don't want my clothes to be too fitted(like meeting a girl's parents for the first time, going to a biker bar, etc.).Maybe I got a weird pair in the batch, maybe my body is just weird, but this has just been my experience.

That said, it looks like there's a few people looking for a size 32. I'd totally be willing to trade mine for a pair of the same size Epaulet rivet chinos or Walt trousers in a color that I don't have(so long as they haven't been hemmed shorter than 30"). Shoot me a PM if you're interested. They're completely unaltered and have been worn less than a dozen times.

2. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We're working on it - had a little bit of crazy holiday rush in our shops which slowed things down. If not tonight, then definitely first thing tomorrow. Either way the voting will be up for a while, so they'll be plenty of time.

And rest assured, a little birdie told me that you've got an excellent chance of making the finals :thumbs-up:

3. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

[​IMG]

That's interesting, and different from my experience. I'm a 32 in the Slim Walts, Rivet Chinos and Smith denim. Aside from the rise, I haven't noticed a significant difference. If anything, I've found the Smiths to be slightly snugger around the thighs, but that may be because the fabric gives less.

Quote: Totally understood, man. A crazy holiday rush can only be a good thing! More of a curiosity on my part than anything else. Can't wait to see how the voting shakes out even from an objective perspective.

(Oh, and tell that birdie the check's in the mail. [​IMG] )

- K

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. applky

applky Senior member

To back this up -- I have the Ravello Brixton from the original run, and on several occasions when I've worn them into the shop recently, Mike has told me how concerned he is about the pre-order folks for Alden's late delivery on these. So rest assured that he's been on it even if there hasn't been much forum chat about it.

5. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

I too purchased a pair of Smiths in my Rudy/Chino size and had to return them as I felt they were just a touch too big and knowing denim can stretch, I did not want to chance it. Just my 2 cents.

6. tmw

tmw Senior member

I'm a 33 in the Rivet Chino and just took a chance and purchased a size 34 Smith jean. If they are much too large I may wind up experimenting with a hot wash/hot dry. Does anyone have any idea of what sort of shrinkage to expect?

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Any shrinkage will be irrelevant as they will stretch out back to their original size. It'll be too big unless you wear with a belt

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I wear a 33 Rudy, and I tried on a 33 Rivet chino once but it was too tight...I thought maybe I would try a 34 in the Smith, but judging by most replies here it sounds like it will probably be too big, especially if I see some significant stretch in the denim. Too bad there were no 33's left :(

9. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

You know, I just realized the Smiths I'm referring to that fit similar to my Rivets are the ones that went on clearance a year ago. Maybe the cut on those is different (i.e., slimmer) from the cut on the Smiths that went on clearance yesterday.

10. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

My 2 cents are that they are going to be too big. You will likely get some shrinkage in the length that will stay and temporary shrinkage in the waist\theigh which will stretch back out. I think sizing up is tough but who knows, you do a hot wash and a hot heat, maybe it will shrink enough.

All of that said, if you can get your size dialed in, it is a great bargain.

11. tmw

tmw Senior member

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I did manage to screw up and throw a pair of rivet chinos (stone color) into a hot wash and make them essentially unwearable for me. They are tagged 33 and still measure 33 in the waist but the overall fit is now too snug overall for my liking. Expect to see them in B+S soon..

12. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

Mike: I was trying to purchase one of the Gant madras shirts you have on sale right now, but when I added it to my cart, it wanted me to check out at the full price. Wondering if this was a bug you could help fix. Thanks!

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Within the last few weeks, I received my special order size 44L jackets in both the Brown Houndstooth and Olive Marl Harris Tweed, and I just picked both of them up from my tailor last night. I must say they are quite spectacular, and I'm extremely satisfied with both purchases. I was a little worried that the overall shape of the Olive Marl would end up being too big (it's my first tweed jacket), but everything came out perfect after all the tailoring was complete. My tailor kept commenting on how great both of the jackets were...he especially loved the fabric on the Brown Houndstooth.

My camera just stopped working, which is probably a good thing since I needed a new one anyway, so I can't take any pics now but I will post some as soon as I can. I'm upgrading from a Blackberry to the iPhone 4S soon so I'll test that camera out and throw some pics up here once I get it. And I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the customer service from Mike & Co. from beginning to end was phenomenal, and really made the whole process smooth and easy. :D

14. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Need to see the jacket after tailoring! I need to get time to do mine, but I'll be able to do it on my new sewing machine that I received for Christmas :) I'll also have to do the Charcoal Flannel Walts that I received, as well :)

Also in for 2 pair of 35 Smith jeans. I LOVE the fact that there's a 35 since the 36 is just a little bit loose on me and the 34 is a bit too snug on me...

15. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Will this be your first time working on the sewing machine? I have one at home that has never been used and just wondering how hard it would be to learn.

16. meso

meso Senior member

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

17. applky

applky Senior member

Awesome to hear! My experience is also that tailors love working on Epaulet stuff -- they like seeing well made clothing with great fabrics.

18. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Same here. She always comments on the quality of the fabric and patterns (shirts and pants)

19. mattp

mattp Well-Known Member

Mike and Adele: I was the guy with the computer glitch. Thanks for sorting that out. I appreciated your efforts to make things right.

20. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

In a bizarre and ironic twist I also went to pick up my Epaulet gear from my beloved tailor today, cocoa and navy donegals to be exact, and for the first time in nearly 3 years that I have been going to him (almost monthly too) he asked where I bought these pants. It was something along the lines of "what is this Ehhhhpaullllleeeeette?" I briefly went over the history of the brand and he advised me that they were some of the best trousers he's ever worked on. You should see the suits this guy tailors, I'm talking some serious designer shit... He typically has a 2-4 week back log during oscar season if that says anything. Felt like a boss on my way to the car after that, thank god for Epaulet.