• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thebunk

Reaction score

X-post from WAYWT...

Gitman Vintage Camo Shirt
Epaulet Stone 12oz. Rivet Chinos
Alden Ravello Shell Chukkas
I am not a fan of the camo look that many splooge over here, but if anyone can pull it off, it is you my man. Always look forward to your pics. Please keep it up.

yulun405

Reaction score

That's my main gripe about Gitman is the box pleat in the back since it adds to the hunch back effect regardless of whether it's tucked or untucked. You can have the back darted to make it slimmer and more contoured to your back, but you will still get a bit of a poof effect with the box pleat, especially with heavier cloth like the oxfords. I hate box pleats on shirts in general, but what can you do when the rest of the shirt is killer?

I took them to my tailor as well to darted the shirts. But still, the "hunch back" effect are still there. I absolutely love the fabrics of Gitman shirts. I guess the only work around is to layer it with a jacket/cardigan.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've outdone yourself on this one. Of course the pic of you and your daughter(?) puts this one over the top.

Agreed. Nice pics, kg.

I am not a fan of the camo look that many splooge over here, but if anyone can pull it off, it is you my man. Always look forward to your pics. Please keep it up.

Thanks, guys.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

And yes, that's my daughter in that one little pic. She looooves the camera. :)

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my main gripe about Gitman is the box pleat in the back since it adds to the hunch back effect regardless of whether it's tucked or untucked. You can have the back darted to make it slimmer and more contoured to your back, but you will still get a bit of a poof effect with the box pleat, especially with heavier cloth like the oxfords. I hate box pleats on shirts in general, but what can you do when the rest of the shirt is killer?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Have you had any of your GVs darted? I was toying with the idea of having that done because of the annoying box pleat.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, Thanks so much for all of the orders yesterday! Holy s***! Our UPS guy nearly had a heart attack. USPS guy will have one today. I can't get any tracking info until our site comes back online, but we packed and shipped nearly every order that came in yesterday. We're thrilled that you guys like the new merchandise so much!
Just kopped brown houndstooth and the cramerton cloth walt's, and had to stop there before things got "ugly" (to quote my governor). :devil: Mike, I know you mentioned that you'll be able to take special orders for some of the sportcoats in long lengths. Will this be possible for the brown houndstooth Weller at some point? I'd love to complete a suit in that fabric.
Absolutely. I'm planning to take Short and Long orders on the Weller Medium Grey, Weller Houndstooth, and Caine Hopsack. And I'm working on a full MTO program as well. The pricing is a little higher than the off-the-rack styles, but for those who already own sportcoats and/or trousers, we'll be able to offer a range of suiting and jacket fabrics for special order. Really excited for that!
Mike, I just ordered my first Gitman Vintage in Olive in large from you guys and was concerned about the fit. I remember you saying that Gitman does not fit you all that well. I am 6'1" 185lbs with a 44 inch chest and a 34 inch waist... should I be concerned? Just received my shipment notice. Can't wait!
No, I actually think that's going to work for you. I'm 5'10" with a 42 chest, and I sit right between the Gitman/Ashland medium and large. With your larger chest, I think that the large is going to be a solid fit.
X-post from WAYWT...​
Ass-kicking as always. Best match-up that I've seen for that camo shirt yet!
To the people who have experience with Gitman Vintage shirts, how do you think of the shirt back pleat? I have quite a few of them but every time I tuck my shirt in, the back pleat always comes out. How do you deal with it?
Ah, just saw this. So is the hunchback effect equally prevalent with the darting?
The combo of the back pleat and a very slim shoulder/armhole/upper arm cut is what gives the "hunchback" effect on some guys. Not everyone though - I've seen Gitman Vintage shirts fit people like a dream. It largely depends on your build. Light darting can definitely eliminate the hunchback look. It's exactly what I did for our Ashland shirts - I relaxed the top of the shirt a bit and put light darting in the lower back.
Got my Desmond jacket (and matching Rudy trousers) back from the tailor today, all I had to do was shorten the sleeves a bit on the jacket and I'm happy with the result. I'm a bit curious though about the lapels, as the way it came "out of the box" seemed like a 3 roll 2, but I don't think this is the way it was intended to be.
Thanks, glad that you're pleased with it! Originally I intended the Desmond to be a 3 roll 2. But since it's fused and not canvassed in the lapels, it functions like more of a true 3-button. You can't really get the roll with that soft construction and lighter weight cloth. But it still looks polished with the 3-button stance.
I feel as though you mentioned getting a restock of the brown belts, but I can't seem to find the post. Is that right? Either way, would a 33" waist be too small for a size 36 belt? The page says 34 would be best but, since there's a 36 in stock still, I'm wondering how big a difference that 1" would make? Thanks! PS For anyone on the fence I got a pair of the blue marl flannel last year and can vouch for their fantasticness. Hard to imagine a better fall pant.
I'd recommend waiting for the 34. We should get them pretty soon. I know that hoofpicks and natural CXL's are coming in next week. I believe that the Black and Brown CXL single prongs will be fast on their heels. These belts will really last you, so it's worth a short wait to get the correct size. Double prongs will take a bit to restock. I bought more buckles, but they're about 6 weeks out. So if anyone out there craves the double prong and we've got your size, then don't wait too long to pick it up.
Hey guys, a quick note - our site provider, prostores, is having some technical issues and our online shop isn't taking orders. It should get fixed in the next few hours (I'm posting this at 11:20 EST).

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

got the navy lambswool and the navy cut-away gingham. Killer combo for work?
and Mike the new pants are amazing... blown away every-time you release something.
Have a question though I'm looking to purchase a 3/4 length coat for work. Will you be stocking this sort of coat this fall? I saw one from MB last fall you carried. Thanks.
Oh, and sorry that I missed this one. YES! We'll have two options. The Gant MB Chesterfield is returning for the Fall - we actually just received it last week. It's gorgeous - navy wool body with a chocolate velvet collar back and brown suede elbow patches. I'll get that online this week. They tweaked and improved the fit for this year too. We're also running a single-breasted Harris Tweed 3/4 topcoat from the Southwick for Michael Kuhle line. I can't wait for that. It's going to be so f-ing bad ass. Like distilling Michael Caine in his heyday into a coat.

thirdman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the belt. I think I will wait for a restock.

The tweed topcoat sounds great. What color/s will it be available in?

Thanks!

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
LOL at site crashing due to high demand... sucks, but not the worst problem one could have!

also got a kick out of one of the photos for the new trousers given what I was wearing yesterday:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads