• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beedub

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, sizing isn't really an issue, I find I'm always a Large in the shirts and that works for me and I always wear a T-shirt underneath so the high gusset isn't a major problem either. Someone has told me that the 19th century shirt has a similar gusset to the workshirt, can anyone else back this up?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I bought 2 19th bd shirts this season (grey plaid and grey stripe) and found them to be normal sized. 19th bd always runs long, so I get them hemmed so I can wear them un-tucked without looking too sloppy. In general I don't find EG shirts to vary enough to change sizes, with the exception of the grey / blue stripe miner shirt from a few years ago that ran a full size too large.

I agree that miner shirt from FW13 ran ridiculously large and long (for not being one of their long shirts). I tried on the grey plaid locally and I found my normal 19thC b/d size to be way too big. The size down looked better, but I ended up passing. I find the fitting of their shirts (19th C's and work shirts) can vary from year to year, which always makes me reluctant to buy online without trying on first. Of course, YMMV.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree the high gusset is a critical feature of the EG work shirt design. But I can understand that slim, tall guys may have a problem with the gusset riding up too much. A few seasons ago, when I was still learning the EG aesthetic, I bought a work shirt one size down for a closer (too close it turns out) fit. The high gusset drives me nuts in that case.

NXNW

Reaction score
I agree the high gusset is a critical feature of the EG work shirt design. But I can understand that slim, tall guys may have a problem with the gusset riding up too much. A few seasons ago, when I was still learning the EG aesthetic, I bought a work shirt one size down for a closer (too close it turns out) fit. The high gusset drives me nuts in that case.
That's pretty much me. 6'1 w/ 38 chest and every shirt I tried on this last season left my sides showing, skip the long denim popover I picked up. Drives me nuts too. Few medium jackets I tried were fine though.

yesssir

Reaction score
For you taller guys, are you able to tuck in your 19th century shirts due to the gussets and how high the lowest button is? From the comment above it sounds like they're best worn untucked for guys over 6ft like myself.

blue peter

Reaction score
For you taller guys, are you able to tuck in your 19th century shirts due to the gussets and how high the lowest button is? From the comment above it sounds like they're best worn untucked for guys over 6ft like myself.

hey, yesssir - I'm 6'3" and currently go for mediums in 19cbd (thinking of moving up to L) and if I tuck, which I rarely do, the bottom button hits just above belt buckle. Side gussets are just beneath visible belt line. If I were to wear a size M to the office, I'd have to use a pair of shirt stays to keep things nice and neat.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much me. 6'1 w/ 38 chest and every shirt I tried on this last season left my sides showing, skip the long denim popover I picked up. Drives me nuts too. Few medium jackets I tried were fine though.
That was my experience going down to the small and I'm not tall or that skinny. Drives me nuts and the bottom button rides up so it looks like the shirt is a popover or unfinished.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only wear my 19th C b/d untucked. As such, I only wear them on weekends. I think the shirts are designed to fit with EG trousers which have for the most part a high rise. The shirts can be more easily tucked into a high (or higher) rise pair of trousers. But even that may not work for very tall, slim guys.

yesssir

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I'll probably try one out and plan to wear it untucked.

On another note Nepenthes is now 50% off everything except outerwear :D.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 6'2" and wear them both tucked and un-tucked. If I tuck, I just make sure that the pants have a high enough rise and, like @bry2000 said, the EG fatigues work great for this.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I'll probably try one out and plan to wear it untucked.

On another note Nepenthes is now 50% off everything except outerwear
biggrin.gif
Do they have any shirts in a size small left?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads