• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely true. I find my personal preferences have evolved since September when I l accepted I won't be returning to the office in the foreseeable future. These days I'm into more casual leather and colors and rubber sole, otherwise DOAK would've been up there on my list. I bought three balmoral boots earlier this year (Redwood Shannon on 202, DOAK Shannon on 82, tan hatch grain G&G Canterbury), and will need to find a new home for at least a couple of the boots. Will probably keep the Canterbury because of double wensum sole.

Since you mentioned it, the other company that EG is often compared to is GG. GG makes fantastic shoes. Other than not fitting me well, the other personal issue I have with GG is their overall aesthetic.

IMO, GG makes much sexier and more photogenic shoes compared to EG. They look amazing dressed up but herein lies the problem (also speaks to your comment about being casual). GG is hard to dress down and be worn casually.

In comparison, EG tends to be "just" conservative and smart. That subdued nature lends itself to either being worn casually (Chelsea notwithstanding) or formally (Chelsea).
I don't believe that GG offers that versatility across their spectrum of styles, colors, and lasts.

We'll use one of my favorite styles for comparative purposes. The Hove and Dover are each of their company's flagship SpTD. The Dover is hella more versatile, and although I'm biased it doesn't make the comment false haha.

Shine up those Dovers properly, and you can wear them with a suit in certain offices. Pick'em up in suede or keep them matte, and you can easily wear them with jeans or chinos. Good luck wearing GG's Hove with a pair of jeans. Not that you couldn't wear them that way, but be prepared to have them stand out like a sore thumb within a casual outfit.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned it, the other company that EG is often compared to is GG. GG makes fantastic shoes. Other than not fitting me well, the other personal issue I have with GG is their overall aesthetic.

IMO, GG makes much sexier and more photogenic shoes compared to EG. They look amazing dressed up and herein lies the problem (also speaks to your comment about being casual). GG is hard to dress down and be worn casually.

In comparison, EG tends to be "just" conservative and smart. That subdued nature lends itself to either being worn casually (Chelsea notwithstanding) or formally (Chelsea).
I don't believe that GG offers that versatility across their spectrum of styles, colors, and lasts.

We'll use one of my favorite styles for comparative purposes. The Hove and Dover are each of their company's flagship SpTD. The Dover is hella more versatile, and although I'm biased it doesn't make the comment false haha.

Shine up those Dovers properly, and you can wear them with a suit in certain offices. Pick'em up in suede or keep them matte, and you can easily wear them with jeans or chinos. Good luck wearing GG's Hove with a pair of jeans. Not that you couldn't wear them that way, but be prepared to have them stand out like a sore thumb within a casual outfit.
GG lasts always appear longer and pointier. I never really got over that.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GG lasts always appear longer and pointier. I never really got over that.

You beat me to the comment. I was going to include pics so here goes.

The GG Hove is a beautiful shoe but that longer line makes them look like dress shoes. SpTDs at their core are not really dress shoes.
Screenshot_20220127-191443_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-191400_Chrome.jpg

'Ol reliable.
20220127_191730.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-191651_Chrome.jpg
20220127_191716.jpg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, GG makes much sexier and more photogenic shoes compared to EG. They look amazing dressed up and herein lies the problem (also speaks to your comment about being casual). GG is hard to dress down and be worn casually.

You’re spot on there.

I have also found (with an admittedly far smaller sample size) that G&G don’t seem as well made. Not that they are poorly made, but that they sacrifice strength and longevity for style. For example my Arrans don’t have any eyelets, every pair of Banbury or Shanklin I own does, even if they are blind. The Arrans will wear sooner as a result.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re spot on there.

I have also found (with an admittedly far smaller sample size) that G&G don’t seem as well made. Not that they are poorly made, but that they sacrifice strength and longevity for style. For example my Arrans don’t have any eyelets, every pair of Banbury or Shanklin I own does, even if they are blind. The Arrans will wear sooner as a result.

I'm happy you added context to the "G&G don’t seem as well made" comment. That would have been the headline to the SF homepage. Some clickbait!

Generally speaking, GG use thinner leathers for many of their styles. TBF to them though, you'd need thinner leathers to make the shoes look as beautiful as they do.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of tan, as it is the absolute lightest color I would select. Perhaps I wouldn't purchase a tan because some are too light brown for my tastes. Saying that, EG's tan color has so much depth and character that it makes other maker's tans look bland and lifeless. It makes them look as exciting as beige haha.
Edwardian antique is sublime

I suppose it's a matter of personal taste/preference. Many G&G shoes are works of art to my eyes but too pretty for my personal taste and wardrobe (mostly non denim 5 pocket jeans and chinos when I worked out of the office). I mostly wear boots and love the Thorpe, Glencoe and Burnham. The Thorpe is no less awesome than the Galway. And my Burnham on round deco last is probably the nicest pair of Chelseas I've laid my eyes on (also one of the flashiest pairs of footwear I own).

I agree with your overall assessment though. If I were to buy a pair of shoes for myself I'd consider suede Dover or Sandigram ( to name just two) over any RTW model from G&G. EGs are easier to dress up or down while G&Gs don't fit my personal style. Leffot ran a hatchgrain Rothschild on Ridgeway that I would probably wear, but G&G's RTW offerings and many MTOs I see on Instagram are not for me.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that I own a single pair of G&G, which is a hatch grain Thorpe... I will just say that it's among my favorite boots in my collection and I think it's easier to wear casually than my 82 lasted Doak/Mink Galway. I also find the MH71 last fit to be sublime. No doubt, many (most probably) of the models are highly dressy and don't work for my current needs but they are beautiful shoes indeed. Just depends upon the specific makeup and ones needs.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy you added context to the "G&G don’t seem as well made" comment. That would have been the headline to the SF homepage. Some clickbait!

Generally speaking, GG use thinner leathers for many of their styles. TBF to them though, you'd need thinner leathers to make the shoes look as beautiful as they do.
I own dozen pair of EG and even more from G&G. Speaking of SpTD, Dover is nicer compared to Hove but for boots I prefer Thorpe than Cranleigh.
The lasts offered like MH71, GG06, DG70 etc (not pointy) are amazing. It’s a matter of personal taste and it’s my subjective opinion. Although G&G’s are louder than EG but that doesn’t make them less inferior compared to EG.
Not sure why a dressy model needs to be at the same time casual too so you can dress it down ? There are specific dress and casual shoes at G&G and at C&J etc too but most lasts offered at EG are more conservative except 888 last.
G&G also makes GG06 last which is a round last so all lasts are not pointy like Deco square. Burnishing on G&G is on par with EG and the patina service offered by G&G is one of the best. I like both EG and G&G equally so hard to choose just 1 brand over the other.

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically I find Thorpe superior to both Cranleigh and Nevis. Nothing against EG, I have a Cranleigh on order and am targeting a Nevis MTO this spring. Both are exceptionally nice, but Thorpe is perfect in my eyes. It's the king (along with the Galway)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree with your assessment and I own dozen pair of EG and even more from G&G. Speaking of SpTD, Dover is nicer compared to Hove but for boots I prefer Thorpe than Cranleigh.
The lasts offered like MH71, GG06, DG70 etc (not pointy) are amazing. It’s a matter of personal taste and it’s my subjective opinion. Although G&G’s are louder than EG but that don’t make them less inferior compared to EG.
G&G also makes GG06 last which is a round last so all lasts are not pointy like Deco square. Burnishing on G&G is on par with EG and the patina service offered by G&G is one of the best. I like both EG and G&G equally so hard to choose just 1 brand over the other.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion and tastes. My opinion is not the law of the land, so therefore it is not beyond contestation haha. Consequently, you can absolutely disagree with me.

I don't recall saying GG was inferior or "less inferior" to EG (I'd have to re-read that to confirm). Nor would I have said that EG themselves were inferior. Actually, I may have stated that GGs are more beautiful than EGs.

Now I do firmly believe that beauty is the primary reason that I find GGs less versatile than EGs. I just find GGs harder to wear with casual clothing. Casual being what I find myself wearing these last two years.

As for the EG burnish or patina preference, their colors seem more conservative in comparison to GG. Which again makes them easier to pair.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You certainly are entitled to your opinion and tastes. My opinion is not the law of the land, so therefore it is not beyond contestation haha. Consequently, you can absolutely disagree with me.

I don't recall saying GG was inferior or "less inferior" to EG (I'd have to re-read that to confirm). Nor would I have said that EG themselves were inferior. Actually, I may have stated that GGs are more beautiful than EGs.

Now I do firmly believe that beauty is the primary reason that I find GGs less versatile than EGs. I just find GGs harder to wear with casual clothing. Casual being what I find myself wearing these last two years.

As for the EG burnish or patina preference, their colors seem more conservative in comparison to GG. Which again makes them easier to pair.
I think the real comparison, my friend, is how Edward Green compares to Saint Crispin’s. That’s the real Ali v. Frazier.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically I find Thorpe superior to both Cranleigh and Nevis. Nothing against EG, I have a Cranleigh on order and am targeting a Nevis MTO this spring. Both are exceptionally nice, but Thorpe is perfect in my eyes. It's the king (along with the Galway)

The Thorpe is a great looking boot, and it is GG's (probably) most popular boot. That said I forgot about it haha. I was thinking of the Wigmore at the same time that the Galway came to mind. ??‍♂️

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the real comparison, my friend, is how Edward Green compares to Saint Crispin’s. That’s the real Ali v. Frazier.

Don't say that to a GG fan. You'd completely dismiss them haha.

But yes good man, we are foot brothers with regards to StC and EG. ????
Honestly, StCs feel like they want to be the EGs of the HW'd world. They exude that same classic conservative yet elegant aura that EG has.

I'll say this much about StC that EG can't touch.. provided you get your fit right, it feels like a suit of armor is on your feet. The combination of that pegged waist and long stiffeners provide that locked in and loaded feel.

Sutefan

Reaction score
Through the years, I've come to realise I really dislike wearing pointy shoes. The EG 82 last is beautiful, but anything more becomes too much for me. It's a personal preference of course. From G&G I really like the gg06 shape. Mh71 is also good, but doesn't fit me very good.
I'm a fan of the classic last from StC too. I find the StC make quite rustique, and think they work best for derbies, chukkas and boots. Their Janus Calf Suede is fantastic for that.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
The Thorpe is a great looking boot, and it is GG's (probably) most popular boot. That said I forgot about it haha. I was thinking of the Wigmore at the same time that the Galway came to mind. ??‍♂️
It's strange that nobody stocks it as a stock model; I was lucky enough to get one of Mehra's last ones. Maybe that's part of the appeal. I find GG's clicking on the Horween Hatch is a bit inconsistent. My pair has less than optimal creasing and I've seen similar on other pairs too.

Re Rosewood: if you look at the panels that didn't receive hand finishing (like overlapping pieces on a Galway), the underlying colour is very tan. Goes a long way to explaining why each pair seems to come out pretty different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads