• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sutefan

Reaction score
Well actually, the second stc on personal last fit pretty bad, and someone else purchased it the first day it came in, so lucky break on my end, I guess. Was made on their Russian Calf. Looked awesome.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of EG vs. STC (a wonderful discussion, by the way), two of the orders I placed during STC’s December trunk show have arrived. Wow… posting on the STC thread now.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with fitting on a St. Crispins personal last too. I am 8 UK TTS and needed some extra room for toe area and the shoes that came in were almost like 9 UK. Luckily leffot offered to remake or refund to me. And I choose refund at that time and didn’t have patience to wait another few months.

Nico

Reaction score
Did you guys with negative experience with StC fit get measured by Phillip Carr?

Maybe more relevant to the topic: don't you find the StC lasts slightly (too) elongated compared to, imo, the superb EG proportions?

Sutefan

Reaction score
Did you guys with negative experience with StC fit get measured by Phillip Carr?

Maybe more relevant to the topic: don't you find the StC lasts slightly (too) elongated compared to, imo, the superb EG proportions?
I don't think it was his mistake at all. But we tried to get a little more space after using a derby for a while, and when this was adapted to a chukka, I got too much volume over the instep, and the shoe just wouldn't sit on my feet. Philip is a great guy.

As to your second point, that is why I now wear mostly bespoke, EG, Santari and Alden. Prefer a different balance now.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well actually, the second stc on personal last fit pretty bad, and someone else purchased it the first day it came in, so lucky break on my end, I guess. Was made on their Russian Calf. Looked awesome.
I had a bad experience with fitting on a St. Crispins personal last too. I am 8 UK TTS and needed some extra room for toe area and the shoes that came in were almost like 9 UK. Luckily leffot offered to remake or refund to me. And I choose refund at that time and didn’t have patience to wait another few months.

This is precisely why I continued to reiterate the importance of a proper fitting pair of StCs. The fit on these is finicky at times.

As to your second point, that is why I now wear mostly bespoke, EG, Santari. Prefer a different balance now.

+1 on this comment.

Nothing like using a proper fitting pair of shoes. This is why I'm a bit (a lot) fanatical about fit. Just no substitute for it.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EG's proportions are some of the best in the industry. While StCs (imo) attempts to replicate what EG does in terms of a simple elegant classic last(s), (and they come close actually) you can't unseat the champ that easily. ?

In a perfect world, if I could bring over StCs construction, fit (when they fit), and feel to EG, would I ever truly need to turn to another brand?

Sutefan

Reaction score
EG's proportions are some of the best in the industry. While StCs (imo) attempts to replicate what EG does in terms of a simple elegant classic last(s), (and they come close actually) you can't unseat the champ that easily. ?

In a perfect world, if I could bring over StCs construction, fit (when they fit), and feel to EG, would I ever truly need to turn to another brand?
I don't really think Saint Crispin's tries to replicate anything. Their last and patterns are unique. As an example, they're very specific in not copying the Dover or Galway patterns, and have their own identity. I really like that about Saint Crispin's.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really think Saint Crispin's tries to replicate anything. Their last and patterns are unique. As an example, they're very specific in not copying the Dover or Galway patterns, and have their own identity. I really like that about Saint Crispin's.

I wasn't referring to StCs overall appearance copying EG, as their shoes look very much like a Central European shoe. EGs look unapologetically English, but with a sense of refinement and elegance.

That attribute of EG is what, I believe, StCs tries to emulate. The production of a classic elegant timeless shoe, and they do a fine job of portraying that across most (if not all) of their shoes.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Thorpe is the one boot/shoe GG makes that trumps EGs comparative offering (nevis).

EG has the highest batting average across its range of getting it right. Truthfully you could be set for life with three pairs (dover, galway, and chelsea). I also like early to mid 2000's lobb before they started making purple sneakers and such.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Thorpe is the one boot/shoe GG makes that trumps EGs comparative offering (nevis).

EG has the highest batting average across its range of getting it right. Truthfully you could be set for life with three pairs (dover, galway, and chelsea). I also like early to mid 2000's lobb before they started making purple sneakers and such.

Those would be their three most iconic pairs. Can't go wrong when you own all three.

Lately forgetten about but, JL's 7000 & 8000 lasts are ??.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads