• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the reason for my question. I finally received my Heather Gorse Galways, I took E width and they fit great. The toe box is roomy and I think these will stretch eventually but not enough for me to wear thick manly socks.
Hence I am thinking about buying another Galway but in a F width, my dilemma is whether to take the same size in F or go down a half a size. The Galway in E width long enough for me I probably would not want it any more length.

If you are planing to wear thick socks with the F last boots then go with the same size, I have the Galway in the F64 and E64 last but prefer the E fit, with the F fit last I have to wear quite thick socks ( falke tk2) otherwise my feet are swimming!

FWIW, I find I eventually stop wearing shoes/boots for which I must wear thick socks just to make fit. Perhaps that's because I'm not much for thick socks anyhow. But I also tell myself, for good or for bad, they are probably not the right size to begin with.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Be mindful about going down length with EG, I found that the difference is pretty noticeable (translation: unwearable) at least with 82 & 888. My friend, I think it's time for more EG... although C&J will greatly miss you! I question the latter's future though if they continue to make welted "athletic" shoes. No facial hair? Do you play for the Yankees? Are you Jeter?!? Picked up one of my long-awaited shoes. I believe this was the first pair of EGs that I really wanted... and it only took about a dozen other pairs before I eventually picked them up.
15261160612_6c4c95c244.jpg
15261160462_f60cf5e699.jpg
Thank you SkoAB! Now only waiting for the Shannons and Galways!
Nice, just got mine today too.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FWIW, I find I eventually stop wearing shoes/boots for which I must wear thick socks just to make fit. Perhaps that's because I'm not much for thick socks anyhow. But I also tell myself, for good or for bad, they are probably not the right size to begin with.

I do not completely agree with this. A boot like Viberg, Danner and even EG on 64 last with CC are not made to be worn with a dress sock. They are a more work boot style meant for a form of boot sock. When matching boot style to sock I find the fit far better than not doing so

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I do not completely agree with this. A boot like Viberg, Danner and even EG on 64 last with CC are not made to be worn with a dress sock. They are a more work boot style meant for a form of boot sock. When matching boot style to sock I find the fit far better than not doing so

I completely agree with this.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If thickness of sock is factored into the sizing equation at the time of purchase, I don't disagree with this. And I certainly agree that many styles of boots and shoes are not to be worn with dress socks.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Any word on the DOak Galways, Leaves? I'm...uhhhh...patiently....yea, that's the word. I'm patiently waiting...

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a cheaper alternative to DHL or whatever shipping service EG uses to the US? $90 for one pair of shoes is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I've ordered a few times from Jermyn St. and shipping is expensive because I believe it includes full insurance. Imagine what it was when I bought 2 Shannons (plus trees)!
Did we place the same order? DO plus Walnut CC top. I think it has only been 2 months.
I believe we're in the same batch so I don't expect them until the end of the year/early next year. I've waited a couple of years for Alden make-ups so I can definitely be patient. Arrived yesterday and getting worn today:
15081832230_bc673a1600.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads