Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

My grail shoe. Bar none. Gorgeous

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

3. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior member

Thanks gents. Just my luck I got caught in the 5 minutes of drizzle in Southern California today while wearing these guys. A little deer bone, Saphir Renovateur, and elbow grease with a horsehair brush and they're looking back to normal.

I've got a serious case of EG lust for the Walcot oxford in Dark Oak antique on the 808 last. Can't seem to find it anywhere but am on a major hunt. If anyone has any leads, I'd be grateful.

4. benf

benf Senior member

For those of you with suede shoes, what is your shoe care routine? Do you:
    - brush it after every wear (ala calf)?
    - what kind of brush is best (crepe, natural bristle or brass)?
    - use a cleaning product such as Saphir Omni-Nettoyant suede cleaner? If so how often? For comparison I uses renovateur on calf uppers ~*2/yr

I have stayed away from suede since I've found that it tends to stain easily (Gucci and Tod's) but would consider adding a pair of EG or GGs in suede for variety.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Saphir makes a water/stain-repellent sort of like Scotch-Guard. Make sure the shoes are clean -- by using the Saphir shampoo, if necessary-- and then go outside to apply the other stuff. (Let it air out for a while-- it smells pretty foul.)

6. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior member

One of the benefits of suede is its low care requirements. It is more similar to shell that way. I don't brush my suede shoes after every wear, that's too much. Others may but I certainly don't. When I get a new pair of suede shoes I brush to raise the nap, spray with Saphir Suede Conditioner, let dry, lightly brush to raise the nap, then spray with Saphir Invulner and let dry. Then I brush to raise the nap and wear frequently. If they get particularly dirty or the nap looks too flattened out I'll lightly brush, but not super frequently. If I've worn them a lot I'll reapply Saphir Invulner to help protect them. If they are REALLY dirty I'll shampoo with the Saphir product, let dry, and do the new-shoe routine I mentioned above. One of the benefits of quality suede is its resilience. Don't baby them too much.

7. Article 26

Article 26 Active Member

Return from a rather arduous day at the local EG trunk show, 3 whiskies and only 2 pairs commissioned... I'm growing up!
    IMG_3522.JPG
    ^Whimsical commission from a TS i attended in the U-states-A years ago, thought fit for the occasion!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017 at 6:30 AM

8. Mehran

Mehran Member

Deciding between a pair of Dovers in Mushroom Suede, Snuff Suede or Redwood Calf. I already have Rosewood CC Dovers (and enough shoes to last me a life time), so versatility isn't key here, but I prefer a more summer-ish color.

9. heelguy

heelguy Senior member

I really like the Redwood (which I have). Could see the Snuff also.

10. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Mushroom for summer. Snuff is more of a fall color IMO. Redwood is surprisingly the most versatile, 3/4 season color for my wardrobe.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mushroom should mate perfectly with khakis.

I'd also thought that it would be fun to use grey suede to re-create Hush Puppies.