• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benf

Reaction score
For those of you with suede shoes, what is your shoe care routine? Do you:
- brush it after every wear (ala calf)?
- what kind of brush is best (crepe, natural bristle or brass)?
- use a cleaning product such as Saphir Omni-Nettoyant suede cleaner? If so how often? For comparison I uses renovateur on calf uppers ~*2/yr

I have stayed away from suede since I've found that it tends to stain easily (Gucci and Tod's) but would consider adding a pair of EG or GGs in suede for variety.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saphir makes a water/stain-repellent sort of like Scotch-Guard. Make sure the shoes are clean -- by using the Saphir shampoo, if necessary-- and then go outside to apply the other stuff. (Let it air out for a while-- it smells pretty foul.)

eyeheartny

Reaction score
For those of you with suede shoes, what is your shoe care routine? Do you:
- brush it after every wear (ala calf)?
- what kind of brush is best (crepe, natural bristle or brass)?
- use a cleaning product such as Saphir Omni-Nettoyant suede cleaner? If so how often? For comparison I uses renovateur on calf uppers ~*2/yr

I have stayed away from suede since I've found that it tends to stain easily (Gucci and Tod's) but would consider adding a pair of EG or GGs in suede for variety.

One of the benefits of suede is its low care requirements. It is more similar to shell that way. I don't brush my suede shoes after every wear, that's too much. Others may but I certainly don't. When I get a new pair of suede shoes I brush to raise the nap, spray with Saphir Suede Conditioner, let dry, lightly brush to raise the nap, then spray with Saphir Invulner and let dry. Then I brush to raise the nap and wear frequently. If they get particularly dirty or the nap looks too flattened out I'll lightly brush, but not super frequently. If I've worn them a lot I'll reapply Saphir Invulner to help protect them. If they are REALLY dirty I'll shampoo with the Saphir product, let dry, and do the new-shoe routine I mentioned above. One of the benefits of quality suede is its resilience. Don't baby them too much.

Article 26

Reaction score
Return from a rather arduous day at the local EG trunk show, 3 whiskies and only 2 pairs commissioned... I'm growing up!
IMG_3522.JPG

^Whimsical commission from a TS i attended in the U-states-A years ago, thought fit for the occasion!

Last edited:

Mehran

Reaction score
Deciding between a pair of Dovers in Mushroom Suede, Snuff Suede or Redwood Calf. I already have Rosewood CC Dovers (and enough shoes to last me a life time), so versatility isn't key here, but I prefer a more summer-ish color.

heelguy

Reaction score
Deciding between a pair of Dovers in Mushroom Suede, Snuff Suede or Redwood Calf. I already have Rosewood CC Dovers (and enough shoes to last me a life time), so versatility isn't key here, but I prefer a more summer-ish color.

I really like the Redwood (which I have). Could see the Snuff also.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mushroom should mate perfectly with khakis.

I'd also thought that it would be fun to use grey suede to re-create Hush Puppies.

hkp2k

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am on a mission to pick up a pair of Doak EG Dovers in the 606 last for my birthday next month.

I stopped by to get fitted a few weeks ago when I was in London on vacation, and tried on both 8UK and 8.5UK. The 8.5UK was recommended to me based off of a quick measuring of my foot on some wooden device, but they felt a little voluminous to me, and to be honest, the salesman did not seem very interested in providing me with a good fit (which was completely the opposite experience from my visit to C&J where they were most helpful). I would really like to try some D width sizes to see if they fit any better. For reference, My brannock size is 9-9.5 in between C & D widths (see picture) and here is a list of sizes in other brands/lasts.

What is the best place in the U.S. for me to try on different sizes/widths to ensure I get a proper fit? I live in Kansas, so there is no place near me, but I am willing to mail order a few sizes, or fly somewhere if needed. I just want to make sure my entry into EG is done right from the beginning.

Thanks for any advice!

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are between a 9-9.5 on the Brannock, then I would trust the sales associates recommendation of the UK8.5. That style will always have more volume than an oxford so that is to be expected. You dont want to go short on length of the shoe and I think between an 8/8.5 there isnt a significant difference from initial try on, but wearing them in hour 5 and beyond you will be happier with the additional comfort. Just my experience.

hkp2k

Reaction score
Thanks Justin, I agree with you! My concern is that there were no width measurements taken at all, nor did he even feel how the shoe fit on my foot. Let's just say I didn't come away with confidence that the salesman put much real effort into trying to help me find the right size. What I would really like to try is an 8.5D UK or even a 9D UK size, but that seems to be difficult to find. I certainly don't want to overthink things, but at the same time I would like to be confident that I have the best size for my foot.

I have called Axel's in Vail and they said they are not planning to restock their Dovers (which as I understand are D width). He said they could order them, but nothing I could try on.

I just noticed that Sid Mashburn apparently sells D width Dovers, and offers free returns. Maybe I will just order a couple of sizes and try them on my carpet to have some real time to evaluate.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
606, like 202, has got the new resin lasts, I think. So that means a "normal" E fitting might now be a little too spacious. 11E fits me pretty well in both, but whichever model I was sampling sang more when I moved to 11D.

FWIW, I get a surprisingly awesome fit in the 11E 82. I am a little curious whether 32 has changed much-- I got a very good fit in 11E with that, once upon a time.

hkp2k

Reaction score
I touched base with Sid Mashburn and they have D widths and E widths in stock and free return shipping, so it sounds like that may be the easiest way for me to try out both sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads