• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

khakisofcarmel

Reaction score
Mahogany pin grain leather, double sole, narrow waist, hand burnished edge, 82 last
DSC00129.jpg

ialwayslose

Reaction score
I have a question:

Does anyone else who enjoys a few styles of EGs find the vast majority of EG styles utterly repulsive? I won't name any specific names, but as I look through the past 20 pages of the thread, I see approximately 1 pair every 2 pages that looks WONDERFUL, and the rest look either overdone or rather anachronistic/antiquated such that I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously in them.

I am asking if this aesthetic preference is unique to me, or if others feel similarly. I obviously am asking a biased sample here, but I would love to know what say the people who appreciate these shoes most.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question:

Does anyone else who enjoys a few styles of EGs find the vast majority of EG styles utterly repulsive? I won't name any specific names, but as I look through the past 20 pages of the thread, I see approximately 1 pair every 2 pages that looks WONDERFUL, and the rest look either overdone or rather anachronistic/antiquated such that I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously in them.

I am asking if this aesthetic preference is unique to me, or if others feel similarly. I obviously am asking a biased sample here, but I would love to know what say the people who appreciate these shoes most.

Hey, I am with you, however, try looking at John Lobb .. - That's a full scale disaster on it's own ..

I wouldn't wear/buy 90% of EG styles, however I am not sure if It would be rightful to call them repulsive ..

Also, EG has most styles than any other shoe brand I would spend my money on .. For example - Chelsea, Cadogan, Berkeley, Beaulieu, Cardiff, Picadilly, Dover .. You can't argue with that - those are timeless classics ..

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question:

Compared to what?

ialwayslose

Reaction score
Hey, I am with you, however, try looking at John Lobb ..

I wouldn't wear/buy 90% of EG styles, however I am not sure if It would be rightful to call them repulsive ..

Also, EG has most styles than any other shoe brand I would spend my money on .. For example - Chelsea, Cadogan, Berkeley, Beaulieu, Cardiff, Picadilly, Dover .. You can't argue with that - those are timeless classics ..

This raises an interesting question to me. I thought about my post, repulsive is too strong perhaps, but I would agree that any shoemaker be such that the majority of shoes likely do not appeal to any one person. For me, John Lobb ends up being the one that while I still find many of it's designs horrible, I have ended up with six pairs that I enjoy, while I have only ended up keeping a single pair of EGs. I wonder if it's truly just simple aesthetic preference, or if other factors come into play. For example, I think that the environment in which I work (a "professional" setting so to speak), the EGs would look very out of place compared to JLs or G&Gs, and I wonder if this drives my preferences. Also, my age, as I am young and I find that the photos of similarly young people in E.G.s don't seem to work for me

ialwayslose

Reaction score
To take it to an extreme, it would in a way be the same as seeing a 19 year old wearing double pleated, cuffed, high-rise brown trousers to his job at CVS.

I don't think you can truly say that looking at this kid "funny" would only be an individuals aesthetic preference.

Hence my question.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The solid calf Galways are growing on me. A lot.

They've definitely got something growing on me too... Nice shot @Burzan as always!

Nice suede jodphurs - I opted for the smooth leather, but these are very sharp, MrV.

Thanks mate - I thought they were pretty chill. I hope you enjoy yours often!

I have a question:

Can I ask you a question? What does it really matter? How is the answer to your question going to add any value?

ialwayslose

Reaction score
Can I ask you a question? What does it really matter? How is the answer to your question going to add any value?

Well, you could arguably question the inherent value of any question on this forum. This whole forum, about styling/fashioning oneself, is barely more significant than the most vain qualities of the earth, and adds no value to someone who doesn't value such things.

To me, coming to an understanding as to why I actually enjoy the things I enjoy is worth answering as it helps me enjoy things more significantly in the future.

If I don't do that, then I'm just spending money on things I think I like for reasons that I think I know, which is fine, I suppose.

For example, if I come to realize that there is solid objective reasoning beyond just my personal aesthetic preferences as to why a 19-year-old should almost never wear double pleated high rise trousers, as a hypothetical 19-year-old I have good reason now not to do it.

Now if there is good reason for me to not wear EGs along a similar vein, then perhaps I can save myself and some other forum members some money, and more importantly direct my enjoyment elsewhere.

It was a largely theoretical question that you could apply to any "appreciation thread" on this forum. I applied it to this one because of my personal aesthetic reaction to the photographs herein.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads