• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green 888 vs Vass U?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm really contemplating taking the plunge to buy a very nice pair of oxfords as I'm in love with this styling. I'm really liking the Edward Green Beaulieu on the 888, like this:

beaulieu1.jpg

I've seen an offering from Vass though that is very similar, the Austerity brogue on the U last. Which do you guys think is better bang for the buck? I'm having trouble getting a price on Vass, can somebody link me to that?

Thanks in advance!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do know that the pair you posted is not on 888 last,right? It is on 82 last.
As for Vass pricing, it'll run you into $700-800 whereas EG retail price is over $1K. You might have to do MTO on both as they might not be available for sale RTW,well you'll do MTO with Vass anyways.
Between the two,I'd probably go with EG but both are nice. Vass is cheaper and just as well made as EG.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
You do know that the pair you posted is not on 888 last,right? It is on 82 last. As for Vass pricing, it'll run you into $700-800 whereas EG retail price is over $1K. You might have to do MTO on both as they might not be available for sale RTW,well you'll do MTO with Vass anyways. Between the two,I'd probably go with EG but both are nice. Vass is cheaper and just as well made as EG.
Really?! I thought that was 888 last. These are the ones I'm looking at, they're RTW: http://www.skyvalet1.com/detail.aspx?ID=210 So Vass is MTO at $700-$800? Isn't there a guy on the forum who does this?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Really?! I thought that was 888 last, you're definitely right though. So Vass is MTO at $700-$800? Isn't there a guy on the forum who does this?
Yes, you may get it through a forum member or directly from Vass. I wouldn't recommend U last if you have wider feet, U last is relatively narrow. You could order different widths from EG whereas Vass comes only in one width. Vass on F last and EG on 82 are nice
inlove.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main difference is the the U last is a long shoe, and the 888 is a short shoe.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
The main difference is the the U last is a long shoe, and the 888 is a short shoe.

The 888 is not the narrower and stylish last from EG ?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Yes, you may get it through a forum member or directly from Vass. I wouldn't recommend U last if you have wider feet, U last is relatively narrow. You could order different widths from EG whereas Vass comes only in one width. Vass on F last and EG on 82 are nice
inlove.gif

IDK, it just seems to me that the F last is a little more conservative. I'm fairly young and I just like the look of the U last a lot more.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
EG 888 (9/9.5), EG 82 (9.5/10), Vass U (43)

IMG_6772.jpg

Nice group shot. For me, this photo proves why the 888 and U last rock and the 82 is a bit awkward as it snaps inward. I have that exact same Vass shoe. Love it. Makes me wish I wear suits more often!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The River has a Swan's neck while the Austerity has more traditional brogue structure, but without brogueing.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Nice group shot. For me, this photo proves why the 888 and U last rock and the 82 is a bit awkward as it snaps inward. I have that exact same Vass shoe. Love it. Makes me wish I wear suits more often!
What do you mean by snaps inward? I have actually been starting to feel drawn in the opposite direction. I have the whole collection of Asquith/Mackay on the 888 and now am starting to wish I had similarly styled / color shoes on the 82 or F.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps snap inwards is a bit of an exaggeration, but I feel that the U and 888 lasts have a lot more shape around the inside of the foot. The 82 is pretty flat along the inside which throws off the balance of the sharp curve of the outide. See what I mean?

Personally, I find the 202 last to be an excellent (perhaps the finest) example of a round toe especially in D width which adds a touch more slender elegance. E width can seem a bit bulky depending on the model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads