• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Similar shoes to these Johnston & Murphys?

bigbrother690

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of these captoe Oxfords for dancing (30s-40s style) in tan calfskin. I had been looking for a good classic captoe with leather sole and rubber heel in a design that could easily pass for the era (which, let's face it, isn't that difficult given men's dress shoe style hasn't really changed all that much). Anyway, I would love to find others in different colors, designs, etc., at a similar or lower price point, but I'm not quite sure with all these entry-level vendors like Meermin, et al with which I should go. These feel very comfortable and look right with all my vintage outfits. I'd love to find brogued ones, two-toned ones, different colors, etc. (leather sole and rubber heels are imperative, which is one reason why I can't buy more J&M- those offerings are limited.) Tips? Thanks!!!

Braid

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of these captoe Oxfords for dancing (30s-40s style) in tan calfskin. I had been looking for a good classic captoe with leather sole and rubber heel in a design that could easily pass for the era (which, let's face it, isn't that difficult given men's dress shoe style hasn't really changed all that much). Anyway, I would love to find others in different colors, designs, etc., at a similar or lower price point, but I'm not quite sure with all these entry-level vendors like Meermin, et al with which I should go. These feel very comfortable and look right with all my vintage outfits. I'd love to find brogued ones, two-toned ones, different colors, etc. (leather sole and rubber heels are imperative, which is one reason why I can't buy more J&M- those offerings are limited.) Tips? Thanks!!!

Where are you based? Depending on location some brands might be cheaper than others and you might have access to factories.

Panama

Reaction score

Clarks used to do a similar Oxford made in either India or Vietnam usually called a Boss of some kind such as Coling Boss or Dorset Boss.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.