• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dummies Guide for chubby men to look thinner

mc25

Reaction score
Figured Id post this up here for good measure. Im not a substantially thin man, nor am I chubby. I have a somewhat muscular frame (as in not lanky) with some meat on my bones. Any-who, I think it would be beneficial to put some tips as to what you do to look more slim.

Some tips:
Low rise jeans, straight leg jeans- They make the thighs and hips look smaller, and allow for a slimmer look.
Belt- Combined with low rise jeans, a non-chunky belt can be a nice addition. It takes away from the belly.
Striped Polo- I prefer horizontal stripes. A polo with a slightly large neck (not t large, but not tight cropped to the neck) and short arm length will give the appearance of a muscular frame.
Short T-shirt- A tshirt that sits slightly above the butt gives a slimmer appearance, because it drapes off of the shoulders, and doesnt sit off the butt. The tshirt should be above the elbow in arm length.

An example of this would be an outfit that I wear to work on occassion and get lots of compliments:
Black faded straight leg/boot cut jeans, with a black leather belt (not slim, but not big and chunky either), and a gray with black thick striped polo. Tucked in, it gave the appearance of a muscular frame, and longer. My small belly was eliminated, and my somewhat large legs covered.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best advice that I can give you is to buy clothes that fit perfectly. A lot of fatties will buy clothes too big in an attempt to cover their body up but it only makes them look more massive!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy clothes that are too small either. You end up looking like a trussed up sunday dinner.

I'm not sure I buy the bit about low cut pants. You just end up with a belly hanging over your waistband. Hardly a flattering look.

mc25

Reaction score
Depends on how big of a belly you have. If it is significant, than ya, low rise wont work. If it is a little pounch, than low rise and a belt are very flattering.

Definitely dont go to big, you are right emmanual, and to small will just enhance your fatness. So well fitted clothes are a must.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hoffman_2.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the low-rise idea - natural waist works best, but relatively slim in the legs helps.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
The best advice that I can give you is to buy clothes that fit perfectly. A lot of fatties will buy clothes too big in an attempt to cover their body up but it only makes them look more massive!

+1, many times I've had people ask me is I've lost wait and it's due to wearing stuff that is well fitted.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc25
Striped Polo- I prefer horizontal stripes. A polo with a slightly large neck (not t large, but not tight cropped to the neck) and short arm length will give the appearance of a muscular frame.

If you're trying to look slimmer, why wear a horizontal stripe polo? That would make a big guy look bigger? I'm 6'3 and 250 and I don't even bother looking at horizontal stripe shirts because it adds lbs. I well fit solid would look much better.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
If you're trying to look slimmer, why wear a horizontal stripe polo? That would make a big guy look bigger? I'm 6'3 and 250 and I don't even bother looking at horizontal stripe shirts because it adds lbs. I well fit solid would look much better.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2...rtical-stripes

I think that whole stripes thing is a dumb barometer in any case. Put it on and see if it looks good on you. Some stripe patterns are flattering and some aren't.

factorial

Reaction score
I think to play it safe you should only wear plaid shirts as they have both vertical and horizontal stripes so they should logically have double the slimming effect.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, thin chalk stripes look good, whereas thick rugby stripes would make anyone look wider
lurker[1].gif

GQBaller

Reaction score
00012f.jpg

Before
The Large Man
Horatio Sanz: Actor/comedian, Saturday Night Live alum
5'9"
250 lbs
"One of the problems I have is with shirts: Getting my neck size to match my body size is difficult, and sometimes the collar is too high, too"”I end up feeling choked. With pants, I wear mine a little high, and sometimes they ride up too much or feel like they're going to fall off if they're not high enough. Basically, I've spent my life trying to avoid wearing suits on a regular basis. The last suit I bought from a store was for my junior prom. It was kind of silver in color, and my mom adjusted it for me."
Don'ts:
"¢ Don't wear a roomy suit. It doesn't make you look slimmer"”it makes you look sloppy.
"¢ Don't go untucked.

00015f.jpg

After
The 5 Tips Every Large Man Should Know
1) Wear a pocket square. It brings the focus to your chest, not your gut.
2) Keep your jacket buttoned unless you're sitting down.
3) Wear a simple, elegant shirt. Avoid plaids and checks.
4) You can wear flat-front pants. They are engineered to be comfortable, even without pleats.
5) Avoid superskinny ties and lapels. Proportion with your torso is key.
Suit, $2,485, and shirt, $235, by Ermenegildo Zegna. Tie, $170, by Dsquared. Shoes, $795, by Church's. Cuff links and pocket square by Paul Stuart. Watch by Cartier.

mc25

Reaction score

True...I suppose it depnds on what type of build you have. I have a somewhat muscular frame, so the hori. stripes make my upper chest and shoulders look large and built. I NEVER wear vertical stripes, except for dress shirts. They give a taller appearance, but I find on polos etc they look stupid. Solids of course are always a safe bet. If you have a flabby chest and mid section, you can try hori. stripes, but youre right it may not work.

Originally Posted by factorial
I think to play it safe you should only wear plaid shirts as they have both vertical and horizontal stripes so they should logically have double the slimming effect.

Ummmm no. I personally think plaid looks best on muscular/slim frames. On a larger frame, some might be able to pull it off, but it usually gives either a larger appearance, or at the very least, not flattering, like an average shirt.

mc25

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
<SNIP>
After
The 5 Tips Every Large Man Should Know
1) Wear a pocket square. It brings the focus to your chest, not your gut.
2) Keep your jacket buttoned unless you're sitting down.
3) Wear a simple, elegant shirt. Avoid plaids and checks.
4) You can wear flat-front pants. They are engineered to be comfortable, even without pleats.
5) Avoid superskinny ties and lapels. Proportion with your torso is key.
Suit, $2,485, and shirt, $235, by Ermenegildo Zegna. Tie, $170, by Dsquared. Shoes, $795, by Church's. Cuff links and pocket square by Paul Stuart. Watch by Cartier.

Well done sir! Some GREAT advice!!
Also, just thought Id bring to attention the "avoid plaids and checks" sentence, for reasons I stated in the above post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads