• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
It's incorrect, or at least inaccurate, in context. He's calling a 6x3 a "six-button" model to distinguish it from the other DBs pictured, most of which also carry six buttons.

To be fair: Pask is describing a 6x3 immediately after describing a 4x2 and calls the former "a higher, six-button model." (Notice that this again confuses button stance and button arrangement.) But the most obvious difference between a 4x2 and a 6x3 is not the total number of buttons, nor the height of the working buttons relative to other coats with the same button arrangment; rather, it's how many buttons fasten. So it's inaccurate to call that 6x3 "a higher, six-button model" than that 4x2. The label doesn't describe the crucial difference. But I take it that Pask does see the crucial difference: so I conclude that he's using the wrong words to describe it.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The NYT's T Magazine has a blog post on DBs seen at the Milan runways:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/coming-soon-double-breasted-suits/?hpw
Most are disasters

+1, are these people mentally challenged? Year and after, the only mens 'fashion' that gets turned out on runways is whimsical ill-fitting crap that no one will ever wear; and ignorant writers talk about how great it is, when the average senior SF member probably knows twice as much. I just find it incredibly odd that the only source we seem to have for well-fitted, skillfully executed suits is relegated to the hidden corners of internet forums posted by the clients themselves. These designers need to realize that the mens suit is not a women's garment you can flamboyantly change at will; it's a set, concrete form that you can slightly engineer in different ways to get different looks, that's the art and fun of it.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
It is sad that today, when the vast majority of people discuss clothes, they discuss designers' confections or shoddy RTW makers. This when in the 1950s and 1960s, more than 60% of Italian men wore bespoke clothes, or so it is said.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
It is sad that today, when the vast majority of people discuss clothes, they discuss designers' confections or shoddy RTW makers. This when in the 1950s and 1960s, more than 60% of Italian men wore bespoke clothes, or so it is said.

Probably because there's not many designers to select from in those days, and taste probably gravitated toward the tradition vs tacky/seasonal designs.

Though I think the artisan attributes are making a comeback to some of the designers ...

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I kinda regretted that I threw away a double breasted sportscoat that I threw away - but that coat was more than twenty years old and it was a grayish green that was popular in the early nineties.

It's hard to find a nice OTR double breasted suit with a nice fit. I tried on this one at the store in San Francisco but they stocked in in dark brown:

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/pau...it-2-button-suit-pexl-9994-t11-l/product.html

It's a bit slimmer fit but for that price I feel I can have one made truly to my preferences.

sborg

Reaction score
g457461.jpg

now this is classic style

Zarium

Reaction score

What would one say the distance between the pinstripes on a suit like this would be? I'd like to get something similar to this made, but I can't gauge fabric -> suit too well, and I wouldn't want something too narrow or bold in stripes. The suit in the above picture would be ideal.

thefinedandy

Reaction score
Great style. DB with patch pockets. It bridges casualness with formality. I am now bespeaking a tan DB suit 4x2 with three patch pockets.

I came back from Pitt Uomo a few days ago and found out that DB's with patch pockets are represented in almost every new a/w 2012 collection. Glad to see them back. But I do still wonder how clients will respond to DB's.

Last edited:

masterpp

Reaction score
Hi ,

Can someone please give me some advice and insight into selecting an appropriate button stance on a DB for a young guy.

I am 6 foot with an athletic build, and I am ordering my first DB from a bespoke tailor.

I am going for a 6 on 2, but I want to have an idea of what type of button stance would be most flatting for me.

I have identified 3 main broad options.

1. Low and Close together - Like Prince Charles.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pr...&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0,i:93&tx=63&ty=28

2. High and close together- but with a wider spread on the top 2 buttons- like this guy - this appears to give a sportier look.
http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/57491332713119923_QiOxDCB1.jpg

3. Wider set and bolder- like Matteo and some of the other italian guys seem to wear
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ma...ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:212,i:58&tx=56&ty=49

I am not sure what is the best way for me to go- I want to appear elegant, but also dynamic - at the very least i think a higher buttoning stance would be more appropriate to my age and build, but I cannot get my head around the amount of wrap i should ask for and the general stance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that's good advice. there's probably a natural sweet spot for the buttons that will reveal itself once you have the first fitting.

also, is there really a magazine called Cane News? Does Doc Holliday know about this?

Last edited:

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a subscriber to the Brolly Bellweather, which offers the latest forecasts for the umbrella industry. This just in: Black canopies still classic, whangees handles are the height of style and James Smith remains the coolest shop in London.

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my two cents on the subject......i have avoided DB for the past several years, considering them outdated. however, now that DB style seems to be back in, I tried on a trimmer cut jacket at a store I definitely added to my favorites of all time, Al Bazar. This is the first DB cut/ fit I've ever really liked, even the softer but possibly sloped shoulders seemed really good to me-- I would totally order a grey flannel suit from them in this cut if i could, and probably should have splurged on a tan solid while i was there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads