• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How would you rate a double-breasted suit with a massive lapel inspired by Carlos Dormond? Is it too flashy or arrogant to wear in a business setting or formal events? And where do you think it would be appropriate to wear this type of suit?

View attachment 1943767
Definitely pro wide lapels on a DB suit. Not sure if I posted this before here, but here’s one of mine.

BE3034E2-B06D-49B0-ADDE-390CCEBE9F99.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am between 6'4" and 6'5", so I will always stand out, regardless of what I am wearing. My colleagues never comment on the pockets or other details of jackets or trousers (why should they?). If I get comments, they are either on shoes or things such as: "Why do you wear suits almost every day?". Interestingly, the gauntlet cuffs brought me a friend. He reached out to inquire why I would order jackets with that feature. I have helped him on his sartorial journey.

Most of my colleagues dress casually, but a few (very few) dress well. Today, the campus will be empty, but I will most likely go there to write and will choose a spring combo, as it is a beautiful day. Once, a colleague saw my office's light on a Sunday and knocked on my door. I opened it, and surprised, he asked: "Why are you in a suit and tie on a Sunday?" "Because I dress for myself."

And that is why I go with gauntlet cuffs and extremely slanted pockets. They amuse me. I am not in a conservative environment (at all! I have colleagues coming to work in shorts and t-shirts), so I don't feel I need to conform to conservative business dress rules. I also don't need to come to work more than a couple of days a week, but I still show up often, as I feel I am more productive away from home. Thus, why not put on a nice ensemble if I am to leave home? But even walking into the Senate in Rome, nobody mentioned my suit's details, although a couple of Senators asked me where I got my suit (and my friend took me to his tailor so I could opine on his new suit). I also don't mind wearing a three-piece suit while meeting a bank's CEO. If he (or she or they) find it an affectation, so be it. From my peripatetic life, I have gathered that fit is king. Seeing somebody in a well-fitting suit is so rare that whatever idiosyncratic details will be ignored. Then again, maybe that is a lie I tell myself to keep wearing jackets with weird gauntlet cuffs.
Well you asked for my opinion there’s need to justify yourself to me. I wear purple and pink jackets fwiw.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you asked for my opinion there’s need to justify yourself to me. I wear purple and pink jackets fwiw.
Well, you did ask me a question. I felt like presenting the context for my answer instead of just replying to it. And yes, you are the overlord of this thread. It is only fair that I explain a bit of my reasoning for joining the fray.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you think it's appropriate for business purposes?
Something being appropriate largely depends on local dress code. However, why wouldn’t wide lapels be appropriate?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Yes!

A splendid take on the DB configuration, although the gentleman in the 2nd photo should have buttoned the middle button AND taken his hands off the pockets; not only is he distorting the fluidity of the garment, but more to that, he is destroying the meticulously-tailored pockets!

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads