• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

District 9 looks like a cool movie

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
confused.gif
I thought it was gonna be a cool movie about aliens.

So did I. Then I payed attention to the previews and the ads I see around town. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Edit - Need I say more... "District 9 is a 2009 science fiction film produced by Peter Jackson and directed by Neill Blomkamp. The film is set for an August 13, 2009 release date.[2] It takes place in Johannesburg, South Africa. District 9 is based on Alive in Joburg (video), a short film directed by Neill Blomkamp, Sharlto Copley, Simon Hansen and Shanon Worley. The title is influenced by the real-life District 6 in Cape Town. Copley also portrayed one of the interviewed policemen. The short film is about aliens landing in South Africa and becoming confined to a specific area and forced to work."

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watching "Alive in JOburg" reminds me about the widespread riots against African immigrants last year.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
From the trailers and what very little I've read about it, I foresee this being a sci-fi flick with disguised hollywood liberal undertones of diversity, inclusion and anti-prejudice. To the kids it will just be a summer blockbuster, but to anyone a few credits shorts of a liberal arts degree it will be a "powerful and critical" self-reflection of how we treat those who are different. The sole intention of which will be to have every person leave the theatre thinking, "wow, I never thought about it before, but those aliens are just like (insert generic minority\\under privileged\\under represented group title here)"
Blomkamp has said he drew from the Apartheid when making it. That said, I don't give a rat's ass about the political undertones, the movie looks amazing.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
Blomkamp has said he drew from the Apartheid when making it.

That said, I don't give a rat's ass about the political undertones, the movie looks amazing.

Most good sci-fi has some level of social commentary.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind social commentary, I just don't want it in my face saying, "See, we're so much better than you, WE understand."

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how they have black south africans in it talking about wanting to keep them segregated. It's like a sci-fi aesop fables!! THIS **** IS SO DEEP!!!!

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I love how they have black south africans in it talking about wanting to keep them segregated. It's like a sci-fi aesop fables!! THIS **** IS SO DEEP!!!!
At least it may dispel the myth that only white people can be racist
laugh.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
At least it may dispel the myth that only white people can be racist
laugh.gif

Speaking purely academically only white people can be racist because racism, like sexism, is rooted in a historical power imbalance. Women and other minorities can discriminate based on sex and color, etc., however, racism is the sole domain of whites... or so I have been told.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder how the opening weekend will be? i want to go tonight but I have family in town
frown.gif
LVoer_ I am under the same understanding.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went to see this movie. It was very very good. Union Square was sold out so I had to go to Kips Bay. Sold out everywhere. I have a feeling this movie is going to be a huge hit. People were clapping at the end of the movie. Late summer blockbuster

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I wonder how the opening weekend will be? i want to go tonight but I have family in town
frown.gif

LVoer_ I am under the same understanding.

About the movie or about racism? LOL. Or both?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Speaking purely academically only white people can be racist because racism, like sexism, is rooted in a historical power imbalance. Women and other minorities can discriminate based on sex and color, etc., however, racism is the sole domain of whites... or so I have been told.

Visit south africa and you'll find that it is quite possible for non whites to be very racist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads