• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

District 9 looks like a cool movie

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I'm not going to argue this point for 10 pages because I don't necessary believe it, but the what I'm saying is that discrimination is different than racism because historically non-whites have never been in "power", racism deals with a power imbalance, discrimination doesn't.

Try getting a job as a white person in south africa. The balance of power has shifted.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Saw it yesterday...my initial feeling was that it was a damn good sci-fi movie. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, meaning I usually just check out the popular stuff (like Alien, etc)...there were a couple sequences that were really well done as far as took me by surprise. On the whole however, I found the entire movie to be pretty formulaic........

What the hell was up with the damn "tracker beam" thing from the ship...that was about a 10 minute sequence, I don't think anyone needs to sit through the dramatic music with the ship growing closer and closer to the mother ship...we get it, its tense, they fired an RPG at the thing and earlier the whole rocket thing....but WTF, why not actually throw in some slo mo Matrix camera work while we're at it...ugh. Not to mention how many times can we do face shots of Wikis in the mechanical suit, in pain because he was just shot from that one particular human dude who somehow never gets shot because he must have placed alien bullet magnets on all his troups as they all are blown to bits or killed with flying pigs with him standing right next to him. Not to forget, the western cowboy movie style stand offs where each embodyment of good or evil (Wikis or the Colonel) gets the drop on the other one but somehow is too slow to get their weapon up on target and shoot the other who's standing like 20 feet away....I almost forgot, so you manage to break into the evil corporation, you get tied down in the lower level and men with guns are closing in on you. You're an alien with super weapons, you've been living in an oppressive foreign world for 25 years and have spent 20 of those years collecting some fluid that will help you get back to your planet, the fluid is now back in your possession and "OH MY! These people are doing experiments on us?" and you suddenly lose all track of time and space and just stare at some body of a fellow alien...never mind you've seen much worse than that in your every day life in your shack city....Oooh, almost forgot, so you're the human turning into an alien...all you want is to be human again and get back to your wife (who doesn't appear to love you anyhow, but that's another story) and the one being that can help you screws up and decides in a moment of critical time importance that it'll take 3 years to fix you....and what do you do? You decide "*******, I'll do this all myself" and knock the one alien that actually knows what its doing out and leave it for dead....

I'm done, this movie had more holes than a town hall meeting....it was entertaining to watch but ultimately frustrating...not unlike said town hall meetings...

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
The weapons were awesome. See my below comment about a specific weapon

spoiler.......

that thing that was done with the robot suit and the magnetizing the bullets was bad ass !!!!!

Spoiler:
My favorite weapon was the psonic blaster that he stole from the Nigerians and escaped with.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I'm not going to argue this point for 10 pages because I don't necessary believe it, but the what I'm saying is that discrimination is different than racism because historically non-whites have never been in "power", racism deals with a power imbalance, discrimination doesn't.

That viewpoint is a nice platitude but breaks down upon any level of scrutiny. There are plenty of situations throughout history where blacks have had power over whites/asians/hispanics and have behaved in a racist manner.

It's human nature, like greed, envy, etc.

youalreadyknow

Reaction score
Great movie imo, the undertones were well done and the overall concept was really well done I thought. Making it look like a documentary as well also helped add more seriousness to it so it didn't just seem like a typical sci-fi movie.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see about 3 movies a year. I saw it got rad reviews and wanted to check it out and it didnt disappoint. The best part was the graphics. Im not an explosions guy but all this was seamless. Looked actually real when about 99% of it was in computers. That is usually a huge turn off for me and I laugh at the rediculousness.

It was cool, entertaining but some parts were a little slow. There were some holes but I dont over analyze the movie except: (except when he build a bomb, lol, wtf?)

Good time, worth the $10

the law

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imightbechad
Very good flick. A little heavy handed at times, but the special effects are out of this world.

If I could think of one word to describe it, it would probably be "impressive."

^^^^ Exactly.

I saw it on Friday. The first half was a bit heavy handed with its "message," the last half was more action. Very enjoyable.

I don't get to see many movies, but this was worth it.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and to think the movie was low budget. I would love to see what it would have been like on a real budget. One of th best movies as of late.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was alright. The plot took too long to build and ended too abruptly. It obviously set up for a sequel.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going tonight
smile.gif

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the fact that certain aspects of the plot and even certain scenes seemed directly ripped from (or paying homage to) David Cronenberg's The Fly, I found it to be an impressive film with emotional content that is absent from most sci-fi movies. Definitely worth the money. By turns disturbing and thrilling, and sometimes both at once.

During the climax, the protagonist's rage and despair seemed utterly real and identifiable.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good movie, best scifi in years.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Despite the fact that certain aspects of the plot and even certain scenes seemed directly ripped from (or paying homeage to) David Cronenberg's The Fly, I found it to be an impressive film with emotional content that is absent from most sci-fi movies. Definitely worth the money. By turns disturbing and thrilling, and sometimes both at once.

Oh jeez, now I'm really going to have to go see this. One of my fav. movies.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I warched it tonight and I really really enjoyed it. I really got into the movie and felt for both parties. I just hope they don't **** up the sequel.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Even though I had to sit with all the mongoloids at The Grove to watch the flick I loved it, refreshingly original for a sci-fi. My friends hated it because Giselle wasn't in the movie killing aliens and flying space ships.....and we had to sit four rows from the movie screen.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads