District 9 looks like a cool movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by JSC437, Aug 11, 2009.

1. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

Very good flick. A little heavy handed at times, but the special effects are out of this world.

If I could think of one word to describe it, it would probably be "impressive."

2. justtemple

justtemple Senior member

I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon, pretty excited is me.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

was fucking amazing. A++++++. to me this restarts the scifi genre.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

The more I think of it, the more I dont like it. They were too heavy handed with the big evil corporation bit and were always too eager to show gross stuff.

Spoiler:
    When the Alien first completed the liquid and put it in the cylinder, why didn't they just jump down the trap door and go to the mother ship then? "No, lets wait and talk to these angry humans first!" The intelligence and behavioral difference between Chris and the other aliens was too great. The Colonial was also a lame b-movie type villain. He yells at people, is cruel, enjoys killing, too tough to take orders, and he shaves his beard stubble?

Seeing this movie makes me feel better about not seeing King Kong.

5. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

Wicked fuckin movie. The alien weaponry was probably the coolest I have ever seen in sci fi.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

The more I think of it, the more I dont like it. They were too heavy handed with the big evil corporation bit and were always too eager to show gross stuff. Spoiler: When the Alien first completed the liquid and put it in the cylinder, why didn't they just jump down the trap door and go to the mother ship then? "No, lets wait and talk to these angry humans first!" The intelligence and behavioral difference between Chris and the other aliens was too great. The Colonial was also a lame b-movie type villain. He yells at people, is cruel, enjoys killing, too tough to take orders, and he shaves his beard stubble? Seeing this movie makes me feel better about not seeing King Kong.
    none of these are valid criticisms as everything is explained in the movie. chris is one of the few 'leader' aliens. all the others are basically just mindless workers, idiot savants, with a penchant for making advanced weaponry but no common sense or understanding. when the humans first started cutting into the ship, he ejected with the command capsule (which provided the navigation) and hid out. also you didn't know what their plan was - clearly if they had just lifted off and left, they would've been shot down like wikus was. they probably had a whole plan that was ruined. the only reason he rushed the deadline was because he wanted (at first) to get wikus help, and later to return to the home world ASAP to get military reinforcements to stop the experiments. he left the crew behind because he had no way to feed them.

7. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Wicked fuckin movie. The alien weaponry was probably the coolest I have ever seen in sci fi.

The weapons were awesome. See my below comment about a specific weapon

spoiler.......

that thing that was done with the robot suit and the magnetizing the bullets was bad ass !!!!!

8. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Visit south africa and you'll find that it is quite possible for non whites to be very racist.

I'm not going to argue this point for 10 pages because I don't necessary believe it, but the what I'm saying is that discrimination is different than racism because historically non-whites have never been in "power", racism deals with a power imbalance, discrimination doesn't.

9. Helix

Helix Senior member

Haven't seen the movie yet but i'm fairly hesitant becuase from what I have seen in trailers it looks like Jackson took Alive in Joburg and tried to LOTR it up a bit.

10. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Should be seeing it on Monday, hopefully it's as good as it looks.

11. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

none of these are valid criticisms as everything is explained in the movie.

chris is one of the few 'leader' aliens. all the others are basically just mindless workers, idiot savants, with a penchant for making advanced weaponry but no common sense or understanding. when the humans first started cutting into the ship, he ejected with the command capsule (which provided the navigation) and hid out. also you didn't know what their plan was - clearly if they had just lifted off and left, they would've been shot down like wikus was. they probably had a whole plan that was ruined. the only reason he rushed the deadline was because he wanted (at first) to get wikus help, and later to return to the home world ASAP to get military reinforcements to stop the experiments. he left the crew behind because he had no way to feed them.

But Chris didnt lead anyone. Even if he was one of the special aliens, was he the only one there? There was no one else like him, other than his son. His buddy was dumb and got shot pretty quickly. If Aliens do have classes and different abilities, they should have made them look differently for their different functions, kind of like worker ants/soldier ants/ect... It also doesnt make sense that a race so advanced would even have aliens so dumb, much less have them on a ship doing anything important.

I dont want to think I'm being too tough by asking this much from the movie, but they tried very hard to make the whole situation seem real, so these things bother me.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

But Chris didnt lead anyone. Even if he was one of the special aliens, was he the only one there? There was no one else like him, other than his son. His buddy was dumb and got shot pretty quickly. If Aliens do have classes and different abilities, they should have made them look differently for their different functions, kind of like worker ants/soldier ants/ect... It also doesnt make sense that a race so advanced would even have aliens so dumb, much less have them on a ship doing anything important.

I dont want to think I'm being too tough by asking this much from the movie, but they tried very hard to make the whole situation seem real, so these things bother me.

if you read some of the director comments, basically the aliens operated as a hive mind, and over time (the 25 years they had been there), the hive collective psyche basically forced one of the workers to 'develop' intelligence and respond to the need to return to the ship, and that's chris. also he couldn't bring anyone with him because he couldn't provide for them.

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

if you read some of the director comments, basically the aliens operated as a hive mind, and over time (the 25 years they had been there), the hive collective psyche basically forced one of the workers to 'develop' intelligence and respond to the need to return to the ship, and that's chris. also he couldn't bring anyone with him because he couldn't provide for them.

If so, then cool idea, but a movie should stand on it's own. It's ridiculous to expect people to hunt around for extra info to understand a major part of the story.

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

I dunno, I don't think it mattered. To me this movie was the breath of fresh air the scifi genre has desperately needed. It's honestly the best scifi alien action movie since... Aliens.

15. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

Saw it tonight and thought it was really good.