• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner at Per Se - Suit or Blazer?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I enjoyed your book more than The Prince.

Nonetheless, The Prince is about 1,000,000 times better.

andyw

Reaction score
Wear whatever is more comfortabke and more you. You'll be presentable either way and the wait staff will treat you the same regardless.

Personally if the dinner is just a culinary adventure, I'd go in a blazer, no tie and have fun. If the dinner is a more formal occassion like a business event, personal milestone event, I'd go with the suit.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Wear whatever is more comfortabke and more you. You'll be presentable either way and the wait staff will treat you the same regardless.

Personally if the dinner is just a culinary adventure, I'd go in a blazer, no tie and have fun. If the dinner is a more formal occassion like a business event, personal milestone event, I'd go with the suit.

Thank you! Sometimes these threads where someone asks what to wear to an event get under my skin. Wear what you are comfortable in, for God sake, just respect the situation. Your first instinct is probably right. Go with it. Don't do what someone else would do. I think people on this forum often worry too much about the details of how they are dressed and miss out on all the other aspects of the occasion - in this case one of the best dining experiences you are likely to have.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
You should try Dorsia instead. I hear, though, that it's pretty difficult to get a reservation.

That was pretty funny.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
Per Se is no Alinea, but it is fabulous

My wife and I had Valentine's Day dinner at Alinea a couple of years ago; best 'nice' meal I've ever had.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My wife and I had Valentine's Day dinner at Alinea a couple of years ago; best 'nice' meal I've ever had.

marie_antoinette_a_la_rose_1783_oil_on_canvas2.jpg

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a suit to Per Se. I have had several business associates eat there with the expense account and they tend to always wear a suit. When in doubt, go conservative. Unless of course you have something to prove and want to be a rogue blazer wearer.

Edit: I agree with the comment below.... ball the fuc# out.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on.

This is StyleForum, it's New York City, and you're going to one of the finest restaurants in this city. A blazer and slacks is certainly acceptable, but ball the **** out and wear a suit. I would wear my favorite suit and show that evening who's boss.

andyw

Reaction score
I don't know how many on this forum know the NYC haute cuisine world, but you'll find many of the owners to be pretty laid back and possessing a fairly open mind on dress. Without disrespecting their rooms, there's a fairly wide latitude on what is accepted as appropriate dress. Those that frequent these places know what I mean, those that don't should feel relaxed in dressing sophisticatedly and in knowing that you won't be judged as a rube if you don't have a suit and tie on. After all, you are about to spend 3 large per settuing and the kitchen and staff will want to wow you. Bon appetit!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think they would appreciate it at Per Se if you showed up in a chef's tunic, with your name embroidered on it, and a toque.

Also, bring your own cutlery and wine glasses.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think they would appreciate it at Per Se if you showed up in a chef's tunic, with your name embroidered on it, and a toque.

Also, bring your own cutlery and wine glasses.

- B

I could do that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads