• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner at Per Se - Suit or Blazer?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PartagasIV
I had dinner at Le Bernardin last Friday, and wore a suit/tie--seemed to be the overwhelming choice with the men in the room.

Le Bernadin and Per Se are not on the same level, although they're obviously both in the far upper echelons of fine dining.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
No one on SF has ever made this joke before.

Good, I'm glad I could be the first! I know I've never heard the same joke twice! Who would have expected someone to have seen American Psycho before?

eh.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Le Bernadin and Per Se are not on the same level, although they're obviously both in the far upper echelons of fine dining.

Uhh... yes they are.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would wear a blazer and tie.

in my Pre-style forum days i was invited to attend a trip to vegas with the crew from the auto racing team i was working with.

One of the investors in the whole mess was a guy who was a serious steak lover, so we went to Charlie Palmer's in the four seasons.....in t-shirts, jeans, and me in a pair of work boots.

I think we offended everyone's sensibility quite thoroughly, the owner's best friend's Uncle was a chef there at the time, and declined to come out and say hello to us.

I dont think the manager minded much though, everyone at the table ordered ordered lobster and double orders of Kobe steak, and the best part. The waiter graciously asked us if we would like to know what the market price was for the steaks we were ordering (none of us had any idea the price of kobe) and my friend Adam looked at him and say...."nah, we're not worried about it".

Later on, after they sent us round after round of appetizers on the house, we found out the steaks we ordered were $200/ea and the bill for 6 people totaled $1600.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I know....what is the tasting up to now, $230 pp? I would still go though. In a suit.
When white truffels are in season the tasting menu can be over $300, $365.00 iirc. Adding Wine along with before and after dinner drinks make for an eye-popping bill.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Uhh... yes they are.
I disagree. Le Bernadin provides for a terrific meal, for sure. I LOVE seafood, so Le Bernardin is one of my favorites. However, Per Se, imo, clearly renders a different level of food presentation, service, and overall dining experience. For me, I enjoy them both, but there is no comparison between the two.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Le Bernadin and Per Se are not on the same level.

Yeah, I agree with the above, I think they are.

Still, I am waiting for the Keller h8ters and the Ripert h8ters to have a rumble in this thread.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, I agree with the above, I think they are.

Still, I am waiting for the Keller h8ters and the Ripert h8ters to have a rumble in this thread.

I'm no h8er at all. As if I have any ground to stand on. I don't even deserve to be in the same room as either of those chefs. That said, I agree with what JayJay said.

Although for me, it's all hypothetical.

paeday

Reaction score
I agree with above....Per Se is a level above Le Bernardin. While a very good restaurant, IMHO it is a step below the likes of Per Se, French Laundry, and Joel Robuchon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm no h8er at all.
I didn't mean you. I meant, say, Vox as the Ripert h8er and Matt as the Keller h8er.

I like them both, but then I have an unrefined palate and no money.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit. Only suit. When I went, I remember looking around and thinking less of the folks who weren't in suits. There is something quite formal about that place and I just think people look like they don't belong if they aren't dressed their best.

Per Se is no Alinea, but it is fabulous

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
Per Se is no Alinea

The student surpasses the teacher. Progress is still possible. Good to know.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Per Se is no Alinea, but it is fabulous
I agree. Same level of dining refinement but totally different dining experiences.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Per Se is no Alinea
Nowhere is.
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by Manton
The student surpasses the teacher. Progress is still possible. Good to know.

I enjoyed your book more than The Prince.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads