• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sambam

Reaction score
This Black leather in the pic is French calf I believe. It came in pretty stiff so we made some ebay boots out of it. Or new French calf is much more supple. But it along with Water Buffalo are the thinnest leathers we carry.

Last edited:

hendjosh

Reaction score
i'd be interested in seeing more pics of those horsehides...

Sorry it took a bit to post some new pictures of these boots as I had to clean them up a bit. Notes on the lighting I have pretty bright and somewhat blue-tinged office lighting so the color is a deeper red in person especially outdoors. IMG_20180120_163013.jpg IMG_20180120_163023.jpg IMG_20180120_163103.jpg IMG_20180120_163122.jpg
For reference of others: These are Leather: Brown Horse Hide, Semi-dress, toe-cap, Last: semi-dress

MadM

Reaction score
I did it again..
Pair no. 4 is now in the making. I really liked the feel of the classic last so i went with again.
Classic work boot
Brown dress
Commando mini lug halfsole
Standard heel
Close trim
8"

Ian Copeland

Reaction score
This may be violating some bylaw (for which I apologize and accept the consequences in advance), but I am selling my pair of SDs, size 12E, in the Buy/Sell section, as well as on eBay. A great deal for some wonderful boots that never quite felt at home on my feet. That being said, I hope to reunite with a pair of better fitting (or at least more idiosyncratically fitting) White's in the future, perhaps following an in-person fitting. In the end, the toe box just impeded ever so slightly on my wide big toe, and since it fell just under the plastic canopy of the box, the leather couldn't stretch to accommodate it. Wider than 12E seems like a bit of an overcorrection -- I'll probably explore the possibility of a soft toe in the future. Anyway, I plan to continue my purveyance of this thread regardless.

IMG_2929.jpg

sambam

Reaction score
Any leather options to build Farmer-Ranger from Hathorn Hi-Line last C461 , maybe CXL. In catalog very poor options. Thank you.
Call our order dept. They can walk you through the options. Your can use the 461 last on that build.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Just put in an order at Bakers for an unlined brown rough out SD with unstructured toe box, single midsole and commando half sole.

Should make for some good walking boots, I think.

I'm torn on the halfsole.

I have a pair of Nicks in waxed flesh with a commando half sole that I use for winter wear. I like how the half sole looks, I do not like how the exposed part of the half sole will absorb water.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is to take a regular sole and have the backend trimmed off that goes into the heelstack then ask for it to be fitted that way on the boot. That way, no leather is exposed on the bottom and you get to preserve the look of a full leather heelstack.

I wore my Nicks today in a little bit of wetness, was not even out that long, and have them drying in front of me. Before I started drying the soles correctly I would go back out and the cold would just shoot up through the soles into my feet.

I'm also thinking about trying out some Alpaca footbeds.........

Last edited:

TH3515

Reaction score
Just put in an order at Bakers for an unlined brown rough out SD with unstructured toe box, single midsole and commando half sole.

Should make for some good walking boots, I think.
The half sole makes the heel look nicer, but it does feel different to walk on. I have two pairs of SD on full Vibram 700 soles and one pair with composite half soles. I think that the heels on the half sole SDs feel harder, less shock absorbing. So for a dedicated walking boot (as in walking longer distances on concrete), I would go for full soles (possibly even honey Vibram 100s which would give the heels an even higher rubber to leather ratio and should be a slightly softer rubber than the black soles).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads