1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sambam

sambam Senior Member

Yes it's Horween. It's a pretty rugged wearing leather. The more it ages the better it looks.

2. sambam

sambam Senior Member

No cost cutting. Same leather insole and leather shank as our Whites line. Just a different price point boot. You don't need to use the insert. Not everone can spend 500 on a pair of Whites. We will keep pushing our Whites line too. Its our bread and butter.

3. DubbySmurf

DubbySmurf New Member

Thanks for the info. Any differences in thickness/wax coating between the three WF options?

4. petersim

petersim Active Member

I just treated my self to a pair of Centennial Hikers this Xmas [red dog roughout/blackcolar] with this christy wedge sole and I can say, even with the mostly flat arch, it is THE most comfortable boot I own. And this one looks to be the same except for the lack of padded collar [good!] and uni-backstay/counter. PLUS, the only reason I could get this boot is because I told my wife it would come in well under $400 [closer to 300 at Bakers]. Like Sambam said, not everyone can justify dropping $450+ on a pair of boots.

It is WORLDS better than Redwing crepe sole boots [of which I own two]. Yes, it is the same out sole, but the leather midsole, thicker leather insole and leather shank completely isolate your foot from anything on the ground, while still providing running shoe cushioning. Plus the fit for me is perfect. I also own a bounty-hunter and this boot has instantly replaced it as my favorite.

I for one applaud White's for making this MTO boot that can be had for $100+ less than their hand lasted, stacked leather sole boots. I get every bit of joy wearing this one as I do my bounty hunters. Plus, it is much easier wearing it around the house.

Bottom-line, this boot gives you a superior option to Redwing's heritage line at the same [MSRP] price-point. And by the way, you can also get other sole options to almost duplicate Redwing's blacksmith if you don't like wedge soles.

Don't wait, just get a pair!

And, oh, if you DO like stacked leather soles, get a pair of Hathorn Travelers. Same price, just fewer MTO options. [SAMBAM, bring back the roughout option on the Travelers!!!!!]

5. sambam

sambam Senior Member

No. All the same. Same thickness as Chromexcel as well. 6.5 to 7 ounces is the norm.

6. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

Just received SD boots with leather thickness 2-3 oz in heel and tong area. Any standard available for leather thickness in SD boots? Also, leather samples 2.3mm - 3.00mm, In reality much less thick.

7. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

8. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

9. gte872h

gte872h Senior Member

The black leather is calfskin I believe.

10. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

You right, Black Calf. Paper-thin leather 1.00mm

11. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

12. gte872h

gte872h Senior Member

FWIW, I bought that makeup for my father from whitesriver a while back. He picked them out and he has worn them hard and pretty much daily and they’ve held up quite nicely. I had the chance to see them in person over the holidays last month and they are not an issue. If you are looking for heavier leathers, there are plenty of options.

13. sambam

sambam Senior Member

This Black leather in the pic is French calf I believe. It came in pretty stiff so we made some ebay boots out of it. Or new French calf is much more supple. But it along with Water Buffalo are the thinnest leathers we carry.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 5:48 PM

14. rustygold

rustygold Active Member

Semi-Dress Black Calf and Vaquero Bullhide