• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

revrend

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but those don't look to be quite as Cuban (i.e. shaped/tapered) as what I've seen in the past. Maybe I need to reassess the Cuban Heel on my next boot.

Honestly, I think it always looks way more pronounced in photos than it does on the foot with White's. I have other boots where the Cuban Heel is pretty damned obvious when I'm wearing them, but it's pretty subtle on my Bounty Hunters. It's noticeable, but it doesn't really look out of place.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok...modified makeup based on feedback and discussions

• #8 CXL leather
  • no toe cap
  • single celastic toe
  • leather liner (cream)
  • no pull tab
  • antique eyelet and speed hook combo
  • standard trim
  • standard heel (possibly minus 1/4")
  • Commando mini lug half sole
  • single midsole
  • natural edge trim

anrobit

Reaction score
Ok...modified makeup based on feedback and discussions

• #8 CXL leather
  • no toe cap
  • single celastic toe
  • leather liner (cream)
  • no pull tab
  • antique eyelet and speed hook combo
  • standard trim
  • standard heel (possibly minus 1/4")
  • Commando mini lug half sole
  • single midsole
  • natural edge trim
I dig it, but my vote is a full Cuban heel or a lowered block heel.

mrpoizun

Reaction score
I doubt that White's would make one of their boots with a Cuban heel for any price. I think you're referring to their standard heel, which could be considered a logger heel, or even cowboy heel, but definitely NOT a cuban heel. A cuban heel is a short based (front to back), undershot, medium high heel. It is almost always used only on ladies' shoes. Cuban heels would not be appropriate for heavy duty boots, especially White's, with their distinctive arch design.
Even when the Beatles wore them they didn't get very popular- not in the US anyway.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dig it, but my vote is a full Cuban heel or a lowered block heel.
I was originally going to do lowered block heel but reading through the thread it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that the standard heel is far more comfortable to walk in

EastWestApparel

Reaction score
Ah the heel the heel. Had both, have had a second pair in the lowered block, I don't get vertigo, horizontogo or I'm about to fall backward-igo. Unless you are on your feet (real) working all day, and even then I doubt the difference would be mahoosive, the block heel is still more comfortable, lowered as well, than any other boot I have worn. Otto White was a fantastic bootmaker, not a scientist, he found a height that seemed to work well with the arch, the arch flattens slightly with wear. I hardly ever read any complaints from people that have had the lowered heel, just those that live the curved and believe "it must be the way it was intended" hurrump!

and breathe.

But you know, each to his own :)

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I think it always looks way more pronounced in photos than it does on the foot with White's. I have other boots where the Cuban Heel is pretty damned obvious when I'm wearing them, but it's pretty subtle on my Bounty Hunters. It's noticeable, but it doesn't really look out of place.

I agree. I always thought the traditional heel on the White's SD looked pretty extreme in pics, but when I put them on - it was far more subtle. It just seems to work with the rest of the boot.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still say lowered block heel...

I was originally going to do lowered block heel but reading through the thread it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that the standard heel is far more comfortable to walk in

cathpah

Reaction score
I doubt that White's would make one of their boots with a Cuban heel for any price. I think you're referring to their standard heel, which could be considered a logger heel, or even cowboy heel, but definitely NOT a cuban heel. A cuban heel is a short based (front to back), undershot, medium high heel. It is almost always used only on ladies' shoes. Cuban heels would not be appropriate for heavy duty boots, especially White's, with their distinctive arch design.
Even when the Beatles wore them they didn't get very popular- not in the US anyway.
I'm pretty sure that even White's/Baker's uses the term "cuban heel" when describing their standard heel.

ben2t

Reaction score
Just place an order for a pair of another SD for my brother in law, same build as my Navy Chromexcel but now on burgandy chromexcel.

OlafG

Reaction score
I'm 10.5 Wide as **** on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some ****. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in.

sammy

Reaction score
My boots took about a month from the time I ordered them to the day they arrived. Here's another pic showing the taper to the heel. Again, its not a "Cuban" heel by any stretch, but still tapered.

Last edited:

univibe88

Reaction score

I'm 10.5 Wide as **** on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some ****. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in. 

If you have oxen feet (like I do) White's makes an FF (which is an EE. You'll notice their widths go: E, EE, F,FF.
They told me that F=EE and FF=EEEE.)

If you are wearing 10.5 and 11 in other boots, I wouldn't go to an 11.5. I feel they run a smidge long. My guess is that a 10.5 FF would work for you. Trace your feet. Either mail them in, or break out a ruler and see where you fall.

If you have EEEs that took some break in, you should check out White's in an FF. I hear so many people talking about rough break-in. My two pairs of Whites didn't need any break in at all. A well fitting shoe or boot really shouldn't take much break in. My feeling is that many people buy D width because they are used to buying off the rack shoes that only come in D width. But they probably have E or EE feet and don't know it.

This is from Wesco, not White's, but it is a good table to get an idea of how widths and sizes go together.

http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#WidthTable

My feet measure size 9 and are 4.5" wide, which is off this chart. I ran it by Kyle and Bakers and he agreed that FF was the size to go for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads