1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. westie187

westie187 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

A burgundy/maroon/plum, depending on who you ask and what batch you get. My black cherry Red Wing Beckmans are some of my favorite boots, but I really wanted to upgrade them to a pair of White's. It's a distinctive color (read: not brown) yet matches with virtually everything.

3. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Um, with all those boots, I'm guessing each pair doesn't get much wear. Perhaps some pics of boots that have actually been worn? For work (real work)? Yeah....

4. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Now you've done it. We just got him to calm down.

5. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

I am not allowed to respond to this, it would hurt peoples' feelings. Yeah....

Every pic I post is of items I have and still wear, my stuff is kept in impeccable condition, at all times. Try it, if you are able.

"We just got him to calm down." someone forgot to tell me......

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. meso

meso Senior member

I hear Huberd's acts as a really nice soothing balm.

7. LouieBailie

I use it on footwear and other leather products, you may use it anyway you feel that makes you happy[​IMG]

8. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Here's a question... and one I'll email to White's in addition to hearing what you all think:

If you send boots with a cap toe in for a rebuild, do they replace the cap toe?

If the answer is "Yes," that might persuade me to get a cap toe, as it would actually make the boot last longer and be more than just decorative.

9. LouieBailie

They will replace anything if you pay for it. You can send the empty box and get back a pair of boots.

2 people like this.
  10. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Has anyone sent boots back for the toe caps to be replaced?

At the point of having to replace the vamp, it seems you have to take the whole boot apart and so would essentially be rebuilding the boot.

Is it the same for the toe cap? Or can the toe cap be replaced with a resole while being significantly less expensive than just buying a new boot?

11. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

I would think to sew a new cap on, you would have to disassemble the boot. I would say it is less work than replacing the entire vamp, but I really have no idea. To be able to access the toe area to resew a cap on, you would need full access to the upper, not just part of the front sole removed. I mean if you took it to some local cobbler and said replace the toe cap and do as little deconstruction as possible, maybe he would do it, but White's wouldn't.

12. LouieBailie

Adding a toe cap during a refurbishment is $30 bucks additional at Whites, $45 at Wesco. $40 at Nicks, and $75 at Alden on plain toe boots. They should have explained it when you called/emailed/contacted them.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Alden will absolutely not add a toe cap. This is false information

1 person likes this.
  14. LouieBailie

Well then, I would surmise that it depends on who asks Alden to do the work. The ones on my shell cordovan boots did not just grow themselves during the repairs.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  15. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Gentlemen, please tread carefully. Otherwise, we'll end up with the next twelve pages of this thread on the wonders of Huberd's shoe grease.

1 person likes this.
  16. LouieBailie

Huberds works on Vibergs too maybe that thread needs an introduction to it.

1 person likes this.
  17. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I just have to say that having Louie on this forum has made it much more entertaining even if he is getting a few boxers bunched up.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As for Huberd's. I will give it a try when I run out of Obenhauf's which I have quite a bit of. As for oil I'm still working on the gallon of Obenhauf's I bought 3 years ago and doubt I'll ever get through all of that. Unless I somehow strike it rich and start buying large amounts of leather goods.

18. westie187

westie187 Senior member

I'm glad someone's entertained. Here I was checking this thread about custom White's boots. I guess I should go post my thoughts and opinions on the shoe grease thread.

2 people like this.
  19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

huberd's grease. huberd's grease. huberd's grease. it puts the huberd's grease on its skin, or it gets the hose again.

20. westie187

westie187 Senior member