• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Every once in a while I have to attend meetings with folks above my pay grade (working as a Software Engineer, almost everyone in those meetings makes more than I do). I have yet to figure out what to wear, with dress pants and a 'coat', that has arch support. Right now I have a pair of Allen Edmonds fifth ave and some cheap Aldo shoes.
I wonder if I could pull off Stevens in brown dress leather (with or without dress cap toes)?
MP's Burgandy HH with Medallion toe caps on the 5050 last would play well.

edinphila

Reaction score
Every once in a while I have to attend meetings with folks above my pay grade (working as a Software Engineer, almost everyone in those meetings makes more than I do). I have yet to figure out what to wear, with dress pants and a 'coat', that has arch support. Right now I have a pair of Allen Edmonds fifth ave and some cheap Aldo shoes.
I wonder if I could pull off Stevens in brown dress leather (with or without dress cap toes)?
Wear whatever is comfortable. Everyone puts on their pants, one leg at a time and everyone puts on their shoes, one shoe at a time. If you like your pair of AE, wear them. On the other hand, you could always just dress how you dress every other day of the workweek. The world is much more casual now. I used to wear suits every day. Have not had one on in 15 months. I’d prefer to burn them, except I have a wedding to attend this weekend.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
That is an interesting observation... I think it may have something to do with the durable nature and conservative styling of a pair of PNW boots... this is not quick fashion, or a design that ever goes out of style, and the product lasts forever... it is like trying to get excited about a Snap-On ratchet or a cast iron skillet (or Darn Tough Socks)... they are always there and they always work, and so we can become blasé about them.

Now when you first start out, most people are amazed at the quality and comfort of a PNW boot... "where have you been all my life?"... then you find this thread, and realize there are kindred spirits here, and so you ask questions, comment, post pictures, hopefully learn something, and try to give back a little to the community. You realize from other's posts that you need several colors and options, but after horse and cow, brown, black and burgundy, toe cap and no toe cap, and lace to toe, where does one really go from there?

Eventually (it happened for me around pair 5), you realize what you really like and do not like, you have dialed in your size, and then you begin to really hone in on the collection you want.

Many of us do not or can not wear boots 5 days a week, so once you get to about 10 pairs of PNW boots you are wearing each pair maybe once every couple weeks or even once a month, and you realize with resoles and rebuilds, you literally have enough boots to last you for the rest of your life.

With this revelation, you also realize that you have all the boots you want, exactly how you want them, and new releases and new lasts, and new sole options (is there really anything new under the sun in the realm of PNW boots - and do not say Viberg sneakers... those are an abomination) don't excite you like they used to. The boots you have are now like old friends, and your interest inevitably turns to other things... so you spend less and less time on a board dedicated to a product you have mastered and never need buy again...

I think everyone goes through phases of things that interest them, granted one always needs good boots, but remaining passionate about boots for a long time is hard...
That’s a great observation. Since I want to experience them all, my focus on PNW boots is running its course. whites will always be first love, but must feast upon others to one degree or another. A few Aldens and Vibergs next. Harness and engineer boots thrown in the mix. Double monks. Top oversees brand boots and more. Hoping this will bring me a decade or two of great fun and learning. Trying to take it slow so as to prolong the fun!
t

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Scooterputtputt Share some pics of your packers and pointed packers please! Especially their top view silhouettes.
Also you mentioned Engineer boots, I have a pair of Fye's Engineer boots and for some reason I don't like them, of course, its my opinion only. The thing I dislike is, how the shaft of the boot looks under jeans.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a great observation. Since I want to experience them all, my focus on PNW boots is running its course. whites will always be first love, but must feast upon others to one degree or another. A few Aldens and Vibergs next. Harness and engineer boots thrown in the mix. Double monks. Top oversees brand boots and more. Hoping this will bring me a decade or two of great fun and learning. Trying to take it slow so as to prolong the fun!
t
I have considered Aldens several times partly because almost everyone raves about the quality control and comfort.
Unfortunately Aldens' arch support is no where near White's or so I have been told.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
@Scooterputtputt Share some pics of your packers and pointed packers please! Especially their top view silhouettes.
Also you mentioned Engineer boots, I have a pair of Fye's Engineer boots and for some reason I don't like them, of course, its my opinion only. The thing I dislike is, how the shaft of the boot looks under jeans.
I know what you mean. I like the look of John Lofgren and Wesco Mr Lou engineers, as they have narrower shafts that look better tucked under jeans. It does make them harder to pull on at first, but I think they look so much better.

discomute

Reaction score
A number of folks who were pioneers of this thread, no longer contribute. I wonder if it's due to the proverbial honeymoon phase wearing off.

With White's or this thread?

No disrespect to anyone, most questions that get asked here have been covered before and could be found with a use of the search function.

I don't blame the regular contributors for slowly drifting away. It's not, say a film board, where there is always something new to discuss.

DG123

Reaction score
I have considered Aldens several times partly because almost everyone raves about the quality control and comfort.
Unfortunately Aldens' arch support is no where near White's or so I have been told.

Has a podiatrist advised you that you need strong arch support footwear ?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has a podiatrist advised you that you need strong arch support footwear ?
I think this is important - I have boots from White's, Alden, Carmina, Allen Edmonds and shoes from a other brands as well. I love my White's - but these other makers make a different aesthetic that White's doesn't provide. For certain there are plenty of others that have fabulous looking boots. I think unless you really require high arch support in all your shoes, limiting your wardrobe to just White's means you're missing out.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is important - I have boots from White's, Alden, Carmina, Allen Edmonds and shoes from a other brands as well. I love my White's - but these other makers make a different aesthetic that White's doesn't provide. For certain there are plenty of others that have fabulous looking boots. I think unless you really require high arch support in all your shoes, limiting your wardrobe to just White's means you're missing out.
Before I started selling my AEs, I used to have a modest collection of AE boots/shoes, mostly boots and around 15 pairs in all.
They were comfortable compared to mall brands but no where near White's especially my recent BHs with double midsoles (and V 100).

wordfool

Reaction score
With White's or this thread?

No disrespect to anyone, most questions that get asked here have been covered before and could be found with a use of the search function.

I don't blame the regular contributors for slowly drifting away. It's not, say a film board, where there is always something new to discuss.

Yeah, I suspect a lot of people come here to do their research, decide which boots to order, and then their work is done and they drift away (rinse and repeat depending on how many pairs of White's they end up ordering).

Then there are people like me who have ordered all the boots they need but return periodically depending on the degree to which they're procrastinating on any particular day :D

DG123

Reaction score

Remember that White's Nick's, Wesco etc... were companies founded to serve the logging industry workers of Oregon and Washington state.. Specifically, the high heel (and high arch) , heavy weight boots were designed and produced as tools for men doing heavy lifting on uneven, often slippery terrain.
Alden's history includes lots of specialization within the orthopedic segment of the footwear industry, and even now decades removed from its orthopedic focus, the company's best selling Indy boot model is produced on the Truebalance last, an orthopedic design.
Allen Edmonds history includes an "immediate comfort-no break in required" concept, which is why AE does not construct shoes using a steel shank.
So each footwear company has its own culture, and the product lines tend to reflect same.

climbinglife

Reaction score
So this might not be everyone's cup of tea. I started out with the Bakers kevlar laces. While good for a dedicated work boot they just didn't feel right on an everyday wear SD. The wax laces that came with the boots are too short.

I've been using the standard issue leather laces that come with all White's and I've always loved them but they do have a "bite" to them over certain parts of my foot. For me I always struggle with them getting the laces dialed in perfectly.

I also wanted to try something different. I had heard about Pisgah laces and wanted to give them a try. I really like the red and how it contrasts the Distressed RO.

They have a bunch of different colors and I ordered three more, coyote, brown and a lighter red. They tie more comfortably then all the other laces so far.

YMMV, but opinions welcome :)

IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads