• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Thanks for your report. I completely understand your decision to go with 3 similar builds but all different looks and leathers. I would probably do the same. I wish I could schedule a visit to Eugene to get fitted. I am sure it would be a great experience. It took a couple of tries to get my size dialed in but nothing beats doing it in person.
Enjoy your boots!

You’re welcome. It was the first time I had something substantive / great experience that I could share. That’s what this community is about. It was a great experience that I’m glad I took. It was a fantastic way to start my boot experience.

Bronco68

Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic trip and wonderful experience at Baker's. All three pairs sound like great make-ups too. Lucky you that you got that coach rambler leather. That stuff's like the even more casual/rugged version of waxed flesh.

The trip was a blast and to me by starting off at Baker’s, it set the tone for my entire trip. I can’t tell you how many conversations I had with residents of the PNW that asked me about my trip…what I’ve done / what my plans are and when I finished telling them about my visit and experience at Baker’s, they were pumped and wanted to know more. I can’t wait to see the Coach Rambler boots. When I describe the different builds, I say it will be “the attention grabber”, “the show stopper” of the three.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don’t own shoes on any of those lasts. Like the look of Viberg and Alden, but don’t think they make anything in my size. I’m a size 14D in Red Wing’s no. 8 last, if that’s any help. If you’re in doubt, I really recommend mailing in your fit sheet to Baker’s. Definitely worth the extra wait.

Edit: Kyle sized me as 13.5E on the MP/barrie last, so I’m half a size up from that in the 5050. I’m not sure if the White’s MP last is identical to the Alden Barrie size-wise, but do remember somebody discussing it, either in this thread or on Reddit.

Thank you for your response. With me being in Singapore the fit sheet/try-on pair route is not going to work, hence trying to best guess my size before going for a pair of Stevens. Baker's has recommended me, based on the info I provided on other brands, at 12.5E & 12.5EE for the 5050 last & White's have recommended 12.5E.
Before I decide 12.5E or 12.5EE I just thought I would ask around here if anyone can advise. I am leaning to 12.5EE as I would rather have a little extra room (I prefer the wiggle room) + thick socks rather than be on the snug side.
Use is going to be purely urban i.e. concrete jungle, public transport & carpeted office !!

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. With me being in Singapore the fit sheet/try-on pair route is not going to work, hence trying to best guess my size before going for a pair of Stevens. Baker's has recommended me, based on the info I provided on other brands, at 12.5E & 12.5EE for the 5050 last & White's have recommended 12.5E.
Before I decide 12.5E or 12.5EE I just thought I would ask around here if anyone can advise. I am leaning to 12.5EE as I would rather have a little extra room (I prefer the wiggle room) + thick socks rather than be on the snug side.
Use is going to be purely urban i.e. concrete jungle, public transport & carpeted office !!

I’m in Denmark, so I didn’t do any trying-on either, but I did mail in the fit sheet. It’s just a letter, not very expensive, and not a terribly long wait. Would definitely recommend doing it.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in Denmark, so I didn’t do any trying-on either, but I did mail in the fit sheet. It’s just a letter, not very expensive, and not a terribly long wait. Would definitely recommend doing it.
Good to know, thanks. Will check it out just to be safe and eliminate to some extent the chances of going wrong.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. Will check it out just to be safe and eliminate to some extent the chances of going wrong.
Brandon and Kyle are masters. I did get try on boots but their initial recommendation based on fit sheet was spot-on.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
I’m with you on liking some extra wiggle room. By trial and error buying used boots at first, I’ve dialed in my sizing without any financial hardship. Started out with sizing just a little large. Learned as long if there not too far off, can use combinations of socks, thin spenco insoles, thicker false tounges, etc to compensate. Now I’m confident buying brand new boots sized just as I need. Those first ones were bought off eBay between $50 to $200. Mostly black and brown common builds.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m with you on liking some extra wiggle room. By trial and error buying used boots at first, I’ve dialed in my sizing without any financial hardship. Started out with sizing just a little large. Learned as long if there not too far off, can use combinations of socks, thin spenco insoles, thicker false tounges, etc to compensate. Now I’m confident buying brand new boots sized just as I need. Those first ones were bought off eBay between $50 to $200. Mostly black and brown common builds.
This is a great method... along with the more ethically ambiguous "Semi Dress Purchase and Return Scheme" from Amazon.

Once you dial in your ideal length and width in a particular last, the world is your oyster.

I spent so long wearing ill fitting footwear that I am reluctant to deviate from my known lasts: 38 Swing, 55, Viberg 310 and Alden Trubalance. Some day I may try the 5050 though...

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
This is a great method... along with the more ethically ambiguous "Semi Dress Purchase and Return Scheme" from Amazon.

Once you dial in your ideal length and width in a particular last, the world is your oyster.

I spent so long wearing ill fitting footwear that I am reluctant to deviate from my known lasts: 38 Swing, 55, Viberg 310 and Alden Trubalance. Some day I may try the 5050 though...
I’ll tell ya I’ve learned so much from you on styleforum. Thanks to you and others here I’m so very thankful. What I learned allowed me to make educated purchases, saving me money and most likely saving my feet. The little outside toes in particular.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also love white boots.
A number of folks who were pioneers of this thread, no longer contribute. I wonder if it's due to the proverbial honeymoon phase wearing off.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of folks who were pioneers of this threads no longer contribute. I wonder if it's due to the proverbial honeymoon phase wearing off.
That is an interesting observation... I think it may have something to do with the durable nature and conservative styling of a pair of PNW boots... this is not quick fashion, or a design that ever goes out of style, and the product lasts forever... it is like trying to get excited about a Snap-On ratchet or a cast iron skillet (or Darn Tough Socks)... they are always there and they always work, and so we can become blasé about them.

Now when you first start out, most people are amazed at the quality and comfort of a PNW boot... "where have you been all my life?"... then you find this thread, and realize there are kindred spirits here, and so you ask questions, comment, post pictures, hopefully learn something, and try to give back a little to the community. You realize from other's posts that you need several colors and options, but after horse and cow, brown, black and burgundy, toe cap and no toe cap, and lace to toe, where does one really go from there?

Eventually (it happened for me around pair 5), you realize what you really like and do not like, you have dialed in your size, and then you begin to really hone in on the collection you want.

Many of us do not or can not wear boots 5 days a week, so once you get to about 10 pairs of PNW boots you are wearing each pair maybe once every couple weeks or even once a month, and you realize with resoles and rebuilds, you literally have enough boots to last you for the rest of your life.

With this revelation, you also realize that you have all the boots you want, exactly how you want them, and new releases and new lasts, and new sole options (is there really anything new under the sun in the realm of PNW boots - and do not say Viberg sneakers... those are an abomination) don't excite you like they used to. The boots you have are now like old friends, and your interest inevitably turns to other things... so you spend less and less time on a board dedicated to a product you have mastered and never need buy again...

I think everyone goes through phases of things that interest them, granted one always needs good boots, but remaining passionate about boots for a long time is hard...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of us do not or can not wear boots 5 days a week, so once you get to about 10 pairs of PNW boots you are wearing each pair maybe once every couple weeks or even once a month, and you realize with resoles and rebuilds, you literally have enough boots to last you for the rest of your life.
Every once in a while I have to attend meetings with folks above my pay grade (working as a Software Engineer, almost everyone in those meetings makes more than I do). I have yet to figure out what to wear, with dress pants and a 'coat', that has arch support. Right now I have a pair of Allen Edmonds fifth ave and some cheap Aldo shoes.
I wonder if I could pull off Stevens in brown dress leather (with or without dress cap toes)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads