• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I'm wary of using the kevlar ones for the reason...I think it was @wordfool said...in the erosive battle between kevlar and leather, kevlar will win every time. I'd rather have my leather laces snap than kevlar laces wear through a leather boot tongue.

I wish I knew of some slightly nicer versions of the waxed flat laces that come with SDs/MPs. I really like those except for the crappy aglets.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
After six months, my first pair of White’s are here. They are MP’s in brown horsehide, built on the 5050 last, size 14E. I’m liking them, and don’t see any criminal QC blunders, but please do not refrain from pointing anything out.

The leather smells great. Can’t wait to begin breaking them in, but their arrival coincides with the first real summer weather here in Denmark, so they and I might have to wait a bit. From my first wear around the horse (edit: house. Guess my mind is full of horsehide), it feels like Baker’s nailed the sizing. When I unboxed them, they looked wide, but feel great on-foot.
87D2EF7C-33AB-48D9-9784-93593101E5E8.jpeg

915D5FEB-AA61-4070-8083-D25A08BBE8F6.jpeg
96D2AD3F-BB34-4186-9B57-00618F023FD2.jpeg

80FB0497-CA82-4D73-8B2A-C0DF520236DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Luscombe

Reaction score
After six months, my first pair of White’s are here. They are MP’s in brown horsehide, built on the 5050 last, size 14E. I’m liking them, and don’t see any criminal QC blunders, but please do not refrain from pointing anything out.

The leather smells great. Can’t wait to begin breaking them in, but their arrival coincides with the first real summer weather here in Denmark, so they and I might have to wait a bit. From my first wear around the horse, it feels like Baker’s nailed the sizing. When I unboxed them, they looked wide, but feel great on-foot.
View attachment 1620545
View attachment 1620546 View attachment 1620548
View attachment 1620549
Very nice-looking boots you have there. I like the sole and the medallion caps. My HH MP's are 18 months old and are becoming very comfy in spite of no arch support. Yours will break in without much effort and last for many years. Nice Build"

wordfool

Reaction score
My work boots get Obenauf's laces:

My "dressier" boots get waxed cotton... I have used these with some success:

For everything else, I go with these... very long lasting, and in a variety of colors...

I have never had a pair of leather laces that did not break prematurely, and usually at the most inconvenient time.

I like to lace my boots tight... once... properly - so that the eyelets are perfectly parallel over the top of my foot - and have them stay that way...

How stretchy are those Greatlaces? I'm always on the look out for good round, chunky bootlaces, but I find many of the options are either too fray-prone, too stretchy, or just won't stay tied without the implementation of some obscure sailor's knot. $13+ seems a bit spendy and I'm not a great fan of the candy stripes, but I might give them a shot.

I have two pairs of Obenauf's -- very nice, strong laces, but good lord they don't half slather on the wax! I spend an hour de-waxing them just so I could tie my boots without having to then douse my hands in industrial solvent to get the wax off.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score

The leather smells great. Can’t wait to begin breaking them in, but their arrival coincides with the first real summer weather here in Denmark, so they and I might have to wait a bit. From my first wear around the horse (edit: house. Guess my mind is full of horsehide), it feels like Baker’s nailed the sizing. When I unboxed them, they looked wide, but feel great on-foot.
View attachment 1620545
View attachment 1620549
Those look beautiful! the 5050 last is such a treat. Love the support. Enjoy and wear them hard!

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1620545
View attachment 1620549
Nice boots and big feet!

May I ask if you can share your sizing in Alden (Trubalance), Viberg (2030), Grant Stone (Leo) assuming you have anyone or more than one of the above?
I am US13E in all the three above and wondering what my equivalent size would be on the 5050 last (looking at Stevens).....should I go for 13E or 12.5EE for the 5050 last?

Thanks in advance ?

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don’t own shoes on any of those lasts. Like the look of Viberg and Alden, but don’t think they make anything in my size. I’m a size 14D in Red Wing’s no. 8 last, if that’s any help. If you’re in doubt, I really recommend mailing in your fit sheet to Baker’s. Definitely worth the extra wait.

Edit: Kyle sized me as 13.5E on the MP/barrie last, so I’m half a size up from that in the 5050. I’m not sure if the White’s MP last is identical to the Alden Barrie size-wise, but do remember somebody discussing it, either in this thread or on Reddit.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s my recent MP5050’s that were too wide. Currently being re-ordered in the same makeup, just hopefully better sizing. Loved the way they felt on my feet, from a support standpoint — game changer. I had them built on a Goodyear Commando sole FYI. Top down photos are a comparison of (L) 5050 MP 9.5EE, (M) Viberg 2030 9.5, (R) Truman 79 10EE

really digging the commando soles on these. Was Baker's able to source them for you, or did you hunt for them yourself? 100% planning on these for a resole on my bisons

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
really digging the commando soles on these. Was Baker's able to source them for you, or did you hunt for them yourself? 100% planning on these for a resole on my bisons
Kyle had them on-hand, and it was like $30 to add them, which was worth it to me. He had both Goodyear and Itshide versions. Easy upgrade to me, as I think the aesthetic of the broken heel stack is much more my speed than the stacked version White's uses.

Bronco68

Reaction score
I promised to provide details of my in person visit to Baker’s to be measured, fitted and purchase of White’s Boots. Very long post about my in-person experience.

I recently finished an extended (May 3 - 19) walkabout / sabbatical / decompression journey through the PNW. As soon as I made the decision to take this trip and before I scheduled my flights, I called Kyle at Baker’s Boots & Clothing. I asked if I could schedule an appointment to get measured and fitted for a pair...or so...of White’s boots and he agreed and thought it was a great idea.

I set up my flights (flew into Portland & out of Seattle), then called Kyle back to finalize day and time for my visit. I told Kyle that once he received the boots from White’s “do not to ship them to me, because I am flying back out to Eugene and try the boots on at Baker’s and if they fit you don’t have to ship them to me, I’ll just take them with me.”

On my scheduled day and time for my fitting, I had something come up and pushed it back for later that afternoon. Kyle was very cool and accommodated the change. One thing you need to understand about Oregon is that while indoor public places you are required to wear masks, or run the risk of having your business shut down. I arrived and Kyle and I were trying to have a conversation inside the store and we agreed to step outside and lose the masks so we could talk. We probably stood in front of the store and talked for at least 30-minutes on many topics and common interests. I’m telling y’all that he is “good people” and “salt of the earth”.

We went inside and talked about what I had in mind as far as style and function / use for the boots and I showed him the picture from their website of the Brown Bounty Hunter. He said that was a Chrome Excel leather, which I responded I wasn’t interested in because of the wavy looks of the leather when it’s broken in.

I will state that I was wearing a pair of 10 wide OBOZ hiking boots mid height when I arrived and left Baker’s. Kyle measured my feet across the ball, instep and heel (each measurement he looked at a sizing chart from White’s), next he measured each foot with the Brannock device. Kyle said that based on my high arches that the 55 last is what I needed. Kyle then disappeared and returned with a few pairs / sizes of boots for me to try on. I tried them on and walked around a bit and he would ask how they feel / how do they feel and I would describe what I was noticing...heel rising up was the main thing. Kyle said I might have to measure your feet again, which I replied “okay”. He disappeared and returned with a few more pair of boots for me to try on. We went through the same process with the same results as I just mentioned. Kyle said I need measure your feet again, which I replied “okay”...why? Kyle said “your left foot is indicating it’s a half size long than the right, which he said is common, but my left foot appears to be a size wider which is uncommon, but when you have both it’s virtually unheard of”.

Kyle remeasured my feet (tape in all areas and Brannock) and then disappeared again to return with a couple more pair of boots. He placed a boot on each foot from a different box and had me walk around a bit and he asked how do those feel now? I said perfect! They fit everywhere...no tight spots, no heel slips. It was like my feet were one (or in this case two) with the boots. Kyle then said the first measurements were throwing him off which is why he remeasured my feet. He proceeded to tell me my left foot was an 8.5D and my right foot was an 8D.

Kyle then said something that confirmed my decision to travel to Baker’s and get measured and fitted in person...he said “if you would have sent me your tracings and measurements and said you wear a 10 Wide in OBOZ hiking boots, I would have fit you for a 9D in White’s and your right foot would have been swimming in that boot.” He said you didn’t have any size foot or shoe size locked in your head and you were open to the process and results. He then told me about another experience he had with a guy who came in to get fitted and said he wore a size 14D. Kyle went through the same measuring / fitting process I just described and once it was dialed in, he asked the customer how do those fit / feel? The guy responded fantastic, they fit like a glove. Kyle then informed him that the boots he was wearing was 10.5FFF. Kyle told me that the the guy got angry and said I’m not a 10.5, I’m a size 14. Kyle said the guy was really worked up about it and went on for a few minutes until he said to the customer “I won’t tell your wife you’re a 10.5”. With that the guy chuckled and resolved himself to the fact that he was a 10.5...not a 14. Kyle told me that this customer’s feet were so wide, he had to expand the length to adjust for the width...he said the sizes adjust proportionally. I told Kyle that it would have been great to have videoed my measure / fit experience because it would have made a great video to post on his website about the measure / fit process, which he agreed. Hindsight is always 20 / 20.

This will be my first set(s) of White’s Boots or any MTO boots or shoes. When we went through the build process I relied on what I discussed with him earlier about what I wanted and his vast experience. I told him I wanted 1) a pair I could dress up or down & wear with khakis, tie & blazer (extent of my dressing up), 2) a middle of the road pair primarily casual but could be dressed up a bit and 3) a pair of ****-kickers / work boots...yes I ordered / bought 3 pairs.

The following are the builds:
  1. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, brown dress leather, 6” height, cut top, single celastic toe, medallion dress toe cap, no liner, antique hardware, single midsole, brown edge, Vibram 700 (live in Metro Atlanta), logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, single row sole trim, no logo.
  2. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, Coach Rambler leather in Cognac (I previously posted about), 6” height, cut top, single celastic toe, 4 row stitch toe cap, cream liner (Kyle’s recommendation due to it being a lighter weight leather), antique hardware, single midsole, natural edge, Vibram 700 (live in Metro Atlanta), logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, standard double row sole trim, no logo.
  3. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, distressed smooth brown leather, 8” height, cut top, single celastic toe, no toe cap, no liner, brass hardware, single midsole, natural edge, Vibram 100, logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, standard double row sole trim, no logo.
I respect everyone’s style preferences, but I’m 61 years old and based on my needs and personality I wanted boots that were “me”. Even though I ordered 3 pair of boots that are the exact same style (BH on 55 last), I feel that they are visually 3 distinctly different pairs of boots.

I can imagine it would be quite difficult and expensive to travel internationally to Eugene, OR, but it was well worth it for me to travel across the U.S. to be measured and fitted the first time. It is amazing what you experience & discover when you are face-to-face with people.

Daniel

montanamike

Reaction score
I promised to provide details of my in person visit to Baker’s to be measured, fitted and purchase of White’s Boots. Very long post about my in-person experience.

I recently finished an extended (May 3 - 19) walkabout / sabbatical / decompression journey through the PNW. As soon as I made the decision to take this trip and before I scheduled my flights, I called Kyle at Baker’s Boots & Clothing. I asked if I could schedule an appointment to get measured and fitted for a pair...or so...of White’s boots and he agreed and thought it was a great idea.

I set up my flights (flew into Portland & out of Seattle), then called Kyle back to finalize day and time for my visit. I told Kyle that once he received the boots from White’s “do not to ship them to me, because I am flying back out to Eugene and try the boots on at Baker’s and if they fit you don’t have to ship them to me, I’ll just take them with me.”

On my scheduled day and time for my fitting, I had something come up and pushed it back for later that afternoon. Kyle was very cool and accommodated the change. One thing you need to understand about Oregon is that while indoor public places you are required to wear masks, or run the risk of having your business shut down. I arrived and Kyle and I were trying to have a conversation inside the store and we agreed to step outside and lose the masks so we could talk. We probably stood in front of the store and talked for at least 30-minutes on many topics and common interests. I’m telling y’all that he is “good people” and “salt of the earth”.

We went inside and talked about what I had in mind as far as style and function / use for the boots and I showed him the picture from their website of the Brown Bounty Hunter. He said that was a Chrome Excel leather, which I responded I wasn’t interested in because of the wavy looks of the leather when it’s broken in.

I will state that I was wearing a pair of 10 wide OBOZ hiking boots mid height when I arrived and left Baker’s. Kyle measured my feet across the ball, instep and heel (each measurement he looked at a sizing chart from White’s), next he measured each foot with the Brannock device. Kyle said that based on my high arches that the 55 last is what I needed. Kyle then disappeared and returned with a few pairs / sizes of boots for me to try on. I tried them on and walked around a bit and he would ask how they feel / how do they feel and I would describe what I was noticing...heel rising up was the main thing. Kyle said I might have to measure your feet again, which I replied “okay”. He disappeared and returned with a few more pair of boots for me to try on. We went through the same process with the same results as I just mentioned. Kyle said I need measure your feet again, which I replied “okay”...why? Kyle said “your left foot is indicating it’s a half size long than the right, which he said is common, but my left foot appears to be a size wider which is uncommon, but when you have both it’s virtually unheard of”.

Kyle remeasured my feet (tape in all areas and Brannock) and then disappeared again to return with a couple more pair of boots. He placed a boot on each foot from a different box and had me walk around a bit and he asked how do those feel now? I said perfect! They fit everywhere...no tight spots, no heel slips. It was like my feet were one (or in this case two) with the boots. Kyle then said the first measurements were throwing him off which is why he remeasured my feet. He proceeded to tell me my left foot was an 8.5D and my right foot was an 8D.

Kyle then said something that confirmed my decision to travel to Baker’s and get measured and fitted in person...he said “if you would have sent me your tracings and measurements and said you wear a 10 Wide in OBOZ hiking boots, I would have fit you for a 9D in White’s and your right foot would have been swimming in that boot.” He said you didn’t have any size foot or shoe size locked in your head and you were open to the process and results. He then told me about another experience he had with a guy who came in to get fitted and said he wore a size 14D. Kyle went through the same measuring / fitting process I just described and once it was dialed in, he asked the customer how do those fit / feel? The guy responded fantastic, they fit like a glove. Kyle then informed him that the boots he was wearing was 10.5FFF. Kyle told me that the the guy got angry and said I’m not a 10.5, I’m a size 14. Kyle said the guy was really worked up about it and went on for a few minutes until he said to the customer “I won’t tell your wife you’re a 10.5”. With that the guy chuckled and resolved himself to the fact that he was a 10.5...not a 14. Kyle told me that this customer’s feet were so wide, he had to expand the length to adjust for the width...he said the sizes adjust proportionally. I told Kyle that it would have been great to have videoed my measure / fit experience because it would have made a great video to post on his website about the measure / fit process, which he agreed. Hindsight is always 20 / 20.

This will be my first set(s) of White’s Boots or any MTO boots or shoes. When we went through the build process I relied on what I discussed with him earlier about what I wanted and his vast experience. I told him I wanted 1) a pair I could dress up or down & wear with khakis, tie & blazer (extent of my dressing up), 2) a middle of the road pair primarily casual but could be dressed up a bit and 3) a pair of ****-kickers / work boots...yes I ordered / bought 3 pairs.

The following are the builds:
  1. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, brown dress leather, 6” height, cut top, single celastic toe, medallion dress toe cap, no liner, antique hardware, single midsole, brown edge, Vibram 700 (live in Metro Atlanta), logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, single row sole trim, no logo.
  2. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, Coach Rambler leather in Cognac (I previously posted about), 6” height, cut top, single celastic toe, 4 row stitch toe cap, cream liner (Kyle’s recommendation due to it being a lighter weight leather), antique hardware, single midsole, natural edge, Vibram 700 (live in Metro Atlanta), logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, standard double row sole trim, no logo.
  3. Bounty Hunter on a 55 last, distressed smooth brown leather, 8” height, cut top, single celastic toe, no toe cap, no liner, brass hardware, single midsole, natural edge, Vibram 100, logger heels, standard heel lifts, no pull loops, standard double row sole trim, no logo.
I respect everyone’s style preferences, but I’m 61 years old and based on my needs and personality I wanted boots that were “me”. Even though I ordered 3 pair of boots that are the exact same style (BH on 55 last), I feel that they are visually 3 distinctly different pairs of boots.

I can imagine it would be quite difficult and expensive to travel internationally to Eugene, OR, but it was well worth it for me to travel across the U.S. to be measured and fitted the first time. It is amazing what you experience & discover when you are face-to-face with people.

Daniel
I hope the balance of your time was well spent.. things are a bit different here in the PNW.. your builds seem very classic, well thought out approaches..

Bronco68

Reaction score
I hope the balance of your time was well spent.. things are a bit different here in the PNW.. your builds seem very classic, well thought out approaches..

I spent a good bit (too much) of time on San Juan Island, a couple of days (not enough) on Orcas Island and a couple of days (way too little) in the Olympic National Park. Thank you, I’m very pleased with my build decisions…I shall return.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I spent a good bit (too much) of time on San Juan Island, a couple of days (not enough) on Orcas Island and a couple of days (way too little) in the Olympic National Park. Thank you, I’m very pleased with my build decisions…I shall return.
Thanks for your report. I completely understand your decision to go with 3 similar builds but all different looks and leathers. I would probably do the same. I wish I could schedule a visit to Eugene to get fitted. I am sure it would be a great experience. It took a couple of tries to get my size dialed in but nothing beats doing it in person.
Enjoy your boots!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic trip and wonderful experience at Baker's. All three pairs sound like great make-ups too. Lucky you that you got that coach rambler leather. That stuff's like the even more casual/rugged version of waxed flesh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads