• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrdiamond

Reaction score
Got any photos of the brown bison and opinions on the leather? Im leaning towards it for my next pair but only have found a handful of photos of it

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW. Do you use those laces with the HH SDs or is that to ease our personal distinction?

Yes, I do use the yellow laces... they are a bit more subdued in real life than they appear in the photos... but my theory is that life is too short to be boring, and I like the contrast.

As far as WB, I was afraid that I would come across as anti-WB... I assure you I am not... it is a personal choice and will make a fine boot... if you like WB go for it... no worries...

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mrdiamond

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for that. Pretty muched sealed the deal, im gonna do a 6 inch ltt farmer rancher in it. After a little more savings that is.

mrdiamond

Reaction score
Day in the life, greenbriar patches can do a number on your leather

20180406_124950.jpg

20180406_124945.jpg

mboon85

Reaction score
Here are some black water buffalo pics for comparison. Worn these for a week. Pic of the tongue to show the relative thin leather.

cy6NNks.jpg
Zojq7xe.jpg
Nhw1gBS.jpg

That does look thin, even compared to my black horween cxl semi dresses.

Kyle said they can’t do HH BHs, only SDs, which I guess helps narrow it down. Thinking full bullhide, water buffalo, or black cxl with roughout counter.

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Im going to make black roughout false tongues for these to be on the safe side. Topside of the leather feels really solid though.

That does look thin, even compared to my black horween cxl semi dresses.

Kyle said they can’t do HH BHs, only SDs, which I guess helps narrow it down. Thinking full bullhide, water buffalo, or black cxl with roughout counter.

mboon85

Reaction score
isn't the tongue leather usually thinner?

I was wondering this, and would be interested in sambam's answer. I spent a bit today comparing the leather thickness of my tongues vs. vamps on my brown CXL SDs and Brown Bison SDs.

Last edited:

seidel1910

Reaction score
I was wondering this, and would be interested in sambam's answer. I spent a bit today comparing the leather thickness of my tongues vs. vamps on my brown CXL SDs and Brown Bison SDs.

If I'm not mistaken, the tongue is usually deliberately much thinner (I think they split the leather for tongues) so it's thin enough to be folded. If you had a full-thickness tongue, it would be way too stiff and cumbersome.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Sambam would be the one to ask to be 100% sure, but I think you can request a "half-cut gusset tongue" which may give you a non-folding tongue, like the Semi-dress or MP models.

seidel1910

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a pair of used SD in brown dress for a bargain and I am LOVING these. Definitely the best boots I've ever owned, and the SD last fits me perfectly. The leather ages beautifully - they have this great patina on the toes and take a nice shine.

I'm waiting on a pair of Bounty Hunters with the specs below. Kyle said lead times are 4-6 weeks right now, and I ordered 4.5 weeks ago. Hopefully these come soon so I can share pictures. I decided to mix leathers (brown smooth and brown waxed flesh) that will be very similar in color but have different textures. I like the idea of a super waterproof and scuff-resistant WF leather for the counter and vamp, and a thick leather with lots of support for the quarter. Kind of like a waxed flesh version of the Nicks Boots boot that has roughout vamp and counter. I've had great experience with the LTT configuration and 430 sole; hopefully they work out well on the BH last.

• Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Dark brown waxed flesh
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Smooth
  • Height: 7"
  • Counter Leather: Dark brown waxed flesh
  • Leather Liner: Tan
  • Toe Cap: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: None
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Nickel eyes and hooks
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
  • Lace Design: Lace to Toe
  • Size - Length: 12
  • Size - Width: D (medium)

Hey everyone,

These arrived yesterday and are gorgeous. I'll post pictures in the next day or two when I have a minute. Add my praise to everyone else's for Kyle at Bakers - they are just as I ordered them, and he was super helpful in explaining options, leather choices, etc. Thankfully I managed to pick up a pair of semi-dress off Ebay a while back (a steal at about $200), so I knew the semi-dress last would be a perfect fit for me (the SJ last I used to wear was a bit too tight in the toes). I'm very into the brown oil tan/dark brown waxed flesh combo - it's a subtle contrast of texture and color that will also give me the scuff/water resistance I need given the horrible weather these will be worn in. I can't wait to see how they break in over time.

I started wearing Whites a few years ago when I started doing criminal investigation work. After being in some sketchy places with an inadequate pair of Clarks - broken glass, rats, and even once stepped on a heroin needle on my way to meet a witness - I decided to invest in some boots that would give me more protection. I'm doing much less demanding work now, but now any other shoes feel completely inadequate after a pair of Whites. Looking forward to breaking in my first-ever new/custom pair now that I have my size dialed in!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8