• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique my resume for m.consulting and ibanking!

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
Although the work is easy and hours are flexible, building up a book of clients is really hard to do unless you are a.) old and the rest of your friends are established in their careers b.) have a lot of family/social connections that will give you a lot of money to invest OR c.) really good at cold calling and like being a glorified sales men.

You have a year or two before you move over from salary to totally commission based and, unlike banking or consulting, you do not build up a solid set of skills that are marketable to other companies. If you can get on an established team right away and start out as their *****, you can have a little more stability but you will always play second fiddle until you go out and start your own book.

Everyone that I spoke with today was looking to hire for a fresh book. I was told by one guy who was recruiting out of Dallas that they've had fewer applicants over the last several years, and that many of the big guys will be retiring soon. Is there a chance that you could confirm this?

joelmthw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
I think your chances at MBB consulting are essentially zero. If you are not graduating from a target school, you better have Summa *** Laude on your diploma.

Banking is much different. There will be those top tier banks that will only look at the Wharton types (Moelis, PWP, Lazard, etc.) but bulge brackets and middle market are realistic if you network your butt off. At the end of the day, these places are just looking for bodies to serve as Excel monkeys for a few years and then burn out and leave. Look around at some of the regional banks as someone mentioned and also take a look at Stephens, Morgan Keegan, and Edgeview. Be persistent and find a finance related internship asap to spring yourself into a summer analyst position. Nail down your story and start reaching out to people.

summa *** laude at gatech is a 3.55+ so its def doable, but i know mbb is a total reach. i was thinking more of deloitte, since they recruit pretty heavy from my school. also, my priority right now is ibanking. so ive been networking ****** off, but my alumni network is really weak on the street as they consist mostly of back office tech positions. anyone on SF wanna forward my resume??
worship.gif

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're an engineer, why not get a job with some company that makes something?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
You're an engineer, why not get a job with some company that makes something?
you get more moneyz in consulting and ibanking duh, models and bottles bro!

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty solid resume, id say you have a decent shot. economy is terrible tho, there's harvard grads on the streets so who knows

gam29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Most people aren't 'proficient' in Excel. Sure, they can do basic tasks and even link a few simple formulas together, but if you ask them to do more complicated tasks, such as logic, or linking data tables from different workbooks, they fail miserably. Most people can't do what they think they can do; especially when it comes to computers.

You are right...most people who claim they are 'proficient' in Excel aren't, but you should NEVER have external links in Excel files...big time no no. Anyone who is truly 'proficient' in Excel should know this.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
you get more moneyz in consulting and ibanking duh, models and bottles bro!

In a nutshell, why we are so completely fkd.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Everyone that I spoke with today was looking to hire for a fresh book. I was told by one guy who was recruiting out of Dallas that they've had fewer applicants over the last several years, and that many of the big guys will be retiring soon. Is there a chance that you could confirm this?

Sounds like a pitch to me. I would honestly not trust a word out of most of those dudes mouths.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Sounds like a pitch to me. I would honestly not trust a word out of most of those dudes mouths.

That's good to know.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's good to know.

I think what I said was a bit strong. These guys pitching to people for a living so they are most likely pitching to you about the job. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I think what I said was a bit strong. These guys pitching to people for a living so they are most likely pitching to you about the job. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

I figured that what you meant. Are you still doing independent work.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figured that what you meant. Are you still doing independent work.

Yeah, but for 2 companies full-time. My brother-in-law and I are putting a together a presentation for some dr.'s clinics so hopefully won't be doing this much longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads