NJ College Has Courses in South Park, Harry Potter, Wines, and Complaining About Unemployment.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by FLMountainMan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/turning_learning_on_its_head_f_1.html

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I skimmed, can any of these be taken for a letter grade? If so, that would be nuts... We have something similar at our school that you can earn actual units for; there's a Lord of the Rings class, Wheelchair basketball, a LA Lakers history class, Salsa dancing, Starcraft (I had a friend take this and it actually was all about high level mathematics; linear algebra, matrices, vector spaces and all that), hundreds more etc...

Anywho, up to 1/3rd of your units can be these "classes" too; it's how D1 athletes survive.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

lord of the rings is a significant work and while studying it may not improve your job prospects, at least it qualifies as real literature with interesting roots to linguistics (tolkien's major interest). Comparing it to the sociology of salsa and a circus class is not really fair...

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Never change.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You really can't complain about not being employable after graduating with a worthless degree in sociology and time spent learning about South Park.

I have my undergrad in Philosophy. Every time I see one of those neat pop culture tie ins like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy" I cringe. Assholes, how about a "Simpsons and Math" book? Or "The Chemistry of Breaking Bad?"

Actually, I might read the Breaking Bad chemistry book.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I won't. Not sure if future wifey knows just how big a nerd I am. MMORPGs have not been discussed. :laugh:

7. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Sorry kids, but if you think you'll find a job entertaining your Chinese overlords by spinning plates whilst riding a unicycle you're sadly mistaken. The Chinese Circus has a 5000-year head start on ya.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

8. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

If we're going to make people take XYZ% of their credits as breadth in humanities, social sciences and sciences, why not make them interesting?

My school does "Math of Music" which is, from what I heard, stuff about the ratios of tones in scales, and like... wave mechanics. Totally fine by me for the non-science majors. Using Tolkien as a lit class would work great too. Hell, teaching science/business/engsci majors satire using the Simpsons/Futurama/South Park makes a metric asston more sense than teaching them satire using Swift, since they won't get the jokes/whats going on in Swift - whereas they ought to get the satire in the above.

It's like Cartman said: "HOW CAN I REACH THESE KIDS" :rotflmao:

(Note: this more or less requires you to have a competent prof for these, and to mostly make them for GURs, or WQB, or whatever your school has, not for your people majoring in these areas)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I took a tennis class and a badminton class. They were only one credit each, but it's not automatically less absurd than a Circus Arts class or whatever.

10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I actually hated lower division classes, electives etc. For me it involved a lot of wasted time and effort, while not learning anything. I was working 2 full time jobs in college and didn't really have time for BS classes, plus they still charge you a the same $$$ per credit regardless if you taking a theoretical physics class or Music class where you learn about how John Cage composed 4'33 for the piano.

If you don't know John cage 433 here's a link

Critics have lauded him as one of the most influential American composers of the 20th century(copied and pasted from wikipedia) I don't care what my music professor or what anyone says. It's garbage.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

11. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

The Kinesiology department is just overflowing with one-credit courses like that where I go. Some gems include Power Walking, Yoga, SCUBA Diving and Great Lakes Sailing.