• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess a question is how do you plan to wear them? For me whenever I wear boots anymore it’s 90% of the time with denim and pants over top 100% of the time - never with my jeans tucked into my boots. It was the same back when I had more pairs and wore them much more often and lived out west. My jeans typically cover most of the shaft and riding up a bit wasn’t really a concern. Agree the cactus boots look cool - the way I pair mine allows me be a little more playful with the shaft and not worry about it too much because it was there for me. I treated it like the lining of my jacket. It can be as crazy or simple as I want and to most of the world it isn’t there. If I wore it with tailoring then yeah when I sit my trouser leg definitely slides up the shaft and I end up with a few inches of the shaft exposed.

At the moment, I mostly wear a blue Lee trucker jacket with tan RRL jeans. Not the type to tuck my jeans into my boots, so I agree that the shaft would mostly stay covered when I'm standing. That said, I have a pair of cheap cowboy boots right now that I enjoy wearing (and wear with that Lee trucker and RRL jeans). When I sit down, a bit of the shaft is exposed. In my mind, the cactus boots don't aren't coherent with that type of look, but I'm open to seeing other styles and outfits online.

In my mind, these boots below are maybe more interesting than the JB Hill boots I posted above, while still creating a coherent and pleasing outfit. But I'm fairly new to this aesthetic and still trying to figure out my tastes.

Also open to getting different pants, shirts, and jackets. So I'm not particularly wedded to one specific look.

acme_on_black__05625.1592433050.jpg
m_59a06d66eaf0300c6902e611.jpeg

Most of the time, I see the pants worn over the boots so the decoration really doesn't matter too much. Only time this shows up for men is when sitting down like you mentioned. It's sort of like how the crazy socks was a thing a few years ago. No one really notices until you sit down or purposely try to show them off. As long as the bottom boot fits your style and aesthetics, it really doesn't matter.

Kind of worried about elaborately decorated cowboy boots evoking the "crazy socks" look, hence my question. But also open to the idea that they might look really cool in certain outfits without being that "zany guy."

DG123

Reaction score
At the moment, I mostly wear a blue Lee trucker jacket with tan RRL jeans. Not the type to tuck my jeans into my boots, so I agree that the shaft would mostly stay covered when I'm standing. That said, I have a pair of cheap cowboy boots right now that I enjoy wearing (and wear with that Lee trucker and RRL jeans). When I sit down, a bit of the shaft is exposed. In my mind, the cactus boots don't aren't coherent with that type of look, but I'm open to seeing other styles and outfits online.

In my mind, these boots below are maybe more interesting than the JB Hill boots I posted above, while still creating a coherent and pleasing outfit. But I'm fairly new to this aesthetic and still trying to figure out my tastes.

Also open to getting different pants, shirts, and jackets. So I'm not particularly wedded to one specific look.

View attachment 1626104 View attachment 1626105

Kind of worried about elaborately decorated cowboy boots evoking the "crazy socks" look, hence my question. But also open to the idea that they might look really cool in certain outfits without being that "zany guy."

Rios of Mercedes Instagram account has photos of different types of outfits worn with the company's boots.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Helps to be a dime piece.

Yea, that guy is exquisite looking. I like looking at his style online, but also try to be cautious and remember that those clothes will not look anywhere near as good on me.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1626104 View attachment 1626105

I think a lot of it is just kind of rolling with it and if you do go for a pattern something that you like or is reflective of you helps but also that you’re comfortable with.

Not that he’s some sort of style icon but 43 has some pretty elaborate boots but you’ll notice he 1) moves the pattern up to his shin so it stays hidden except on casual boots and 2) when he shows it off he intentionally kicks his leg out and lifts his trousers.

Those JB Hills are both quite nice. If it were my money - the rough out look like they’d be great **** kickers and super versatile (or look really good with Lee’s super light wash denim and a trucker (maybe duck canvas or waxed canvas?) and a white t shirt or untucked western shirt in a slightly darker color than the jeans. In fact, after it came up on the other thread about materials I put the pieces in motion to commission a pair in a similar color equine rough out from my maker to leave at the ranch because it looked so versatile.

re: the comment from someone else that it’s mainly women wearing them in sundresses - I think when I see bright color shafts in a suede or something that it’s definitely a girl going to game day but regular embellishments I see more commonly than not.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With all due respect, I suspect that if you have to ask what out fit will go with boots or what boots will go with what outfit, you are not really ready for boots.

First, a nice dark boot--black or navy, for instance will go with almost any outfit you might wear a pair of dark shoes with. If only because, as others have said, the trousers ill cover the tops.

Second, decorative stitching and/or inlays have only one function other than to be ornamental...and that is to hold the tops to the linings without cements. And such ornamentation is almost done simply because it can be done and is not ever meant to be ostentatiously 'in your face' except by individual who are deliberately flaunting.

Third, theoretically anyway, there is an element of 'in-you-face-indifference to style and convention in the whole western mythos, nevermind the footwear. It doesn't care what outfit is worn with boots--it's a trivial and superficial consideration.

In the west bankers, CEO's, and gala-goers wear boots with their most formal and/or best outfits and the naysayers be damned.

But you need a certain insouciance and self-confidence to sucessfully pull off boots in any context, in any part of the country..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With all due respect, I suspect that if you have to ask what out fit will go with boots or what boots will go with what outfit, you are not really ready for boots.

First, a nice dark boot--black or navy, for instance will go with almost any outfit you might wear a pair of dark shoes with. If only because, as others have said, the trousers ill cover the tops.

Second, decorative stitching and/or inlays have only one function other than to be ornamental...and that is to hold the tops to the linings without cements. And such ornamentation is almost done simply because it can be done and is not ever meant to be ostentatiously 'in your face' except by individual who are deliberately flaunting.

Third, theoretically anyway, there is an element of 'in-you-face-indifference to style and convention in the whole western mythos, nevermind the footwear. It doesn't care what outfit is worn with boots--it's a trivial and superficial consideration.

In the west bankers, CEO's, and gala-goers wear boots with their most formal and/or best outfits and the naysayers be damned.

But you need a certain insouciance and self-confidence to sucessfully pull off boots in any context, in any part of the country..

Well, respectfully, I see a lot of bad outfits online, so I'm just trying to avoid looking like that.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t this kind of the best part of boots? I can pull them on with damn near anything and depending on the color and level of shine I can raise or lower how formal they are. I’ve worn the same pair standing up in weddings and to inaugural balls and galas as I’ve worn on a horse and setting posts for a new fence. (Edit: doesn’t hurt that they’re super comfortable)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But then do people have photos of people wearing such elaborately decorated boots well? I'm just asking for photos of the outfits. Not saying that they can't be worn well, but there are certain outfits I've seen where I think the person looks :uhoh: . And other outfits where I think the person looks great. Not convinced that you can't miss with these styles. So happy to check out images of people wearing the elaborately decorated boots in outfits they think work.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Again, and again with all due respect, you're bringing your prejudices (which I suspect are anything but rooted in 'Western' culture) to your observations and judgements. I don't have photos but I've worn black french calf boots with fire engine red tops and 2-2/4" heels with suits and with jeans and so forth. In every instance, I suspect you could find something wrong with those outfits. In the same way, perhaps, as you would find something wrong with me in my kilt...esp if I was wearing two different tartans (very authentic).(And, parenthetically, I think 'authenticity' is key to both style in general and style that defies convention.)

Isn’t this kind of the best part of boots? I can pull them on with damn near anything and depending on the color and level of shine I can raise or lower how formal they are. I’ve worn the same pair standing up in weddings and to inaugural balls and galas as I’ve worn on a horse and setting posts for a new fence. (Edit: doesn’t hurt that they’re super comfortable)

I think that's right.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really don't know why this comes up in every shoe thread.

Half of CM nowadays is just dedicated to shoes. I can't think of a single thread anymore dedicated to discussing how to dress. This is is on a forum called StyleForum. In the past, Manton had that Good Taste thread, which was about how to dress. Some members made "weekly summaries" highlighting good WAYWT outfits. There were many discussions here about how to dress well.

Now half the front page is just dedicated to shoes. In any of these shoe threads, if you bring up this question of how to wear a certain shoe style well, you will be met with two answers:

1. I wear them however I want and any time I damn please
2. I wear them with suits, sport coats, tailored trousers, chinos, and jeans (no one ever says shorts because sartorial gentlemen don't wear shorts). There is often little to no discernment here, just a list of nearly every type of clothing.

If you push back and suggest there may be better ways to wear certain styles, you will get piled on. People will be very upset at the idea that there are better and worse ways to wear shoes. (I was recently in the TLB thread, where, for the first time, I saw some discussion that maybe oxfords aren't the best with jeans, but this is a very rare instance).

I don't get why the forum has become like this. It may be that cowboy boots are the exception and you can really wear them with whatever. But could it be that this forum is now just a "shoe forum" full of people who are averse to this discussion?

If you were to ask:

1. How do I buy these shoes
2. How are these shoes made

You will be met with dissertations. People will write long answers about how to import shoes from Romania and how the leather was tanned. But if you ask "what are some better ways to wear this style," people are dismissive at best. In @DWFII's post, he calls me prejudicial. I don't even know what I would be prejudicial against. But @Jmr928 just mentioned that he went through Lucchese's IG tags and saw some bad outfits. I have tried combing through IG accounts and seen the same. If someone is spending so much money on these things, why not take the time to figure out how to look good in them?

I'm not asking people to post photos of themselves. I don't post photos of my outfits and respect people's desire to be anonymous. I also try to not post outfits here that I dislike, as think that's needlessly mean (at least when they involve real people and not models). But if people think the more elaborately styled boots can be worn well, what's wrong with asking for examples?

Back in the day, there was an AAAC member who listed the clothes he wore every day. So he'd list something like "Kiton sport coat, John Lobb shoes, Hermes scarf, etc." It would just be a list. Then one day he posted a photo and ... the outfit looked quite bad. This happened for a while at The London Lounge. Back in the day, people didn't post outfits, they just described what they wore. But when people finally posted photos, clearly some people were well dressed while others were not. It can be up to the viewer to decide what is aesthetically pleasing and not, but clearly, words are not enough to convey an outfit.

Anyway, if people don't want to discuss how to wear cowboy boots well, I'm fine with that. I'll take this discussion elsewhere. I vaguely suspected that this is not the right thread for it anyway.

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't know why this comes up in every shoe thread.

Half of CM nowadays is just dedicated to shoes. I can't think of a single thread anymore dedicated to discussing how to dress. This is is on a forum called StyleForum. In the past, Manton had that Good Taste thread, which was about how to dress. Some members made "weekly summaries" highlighting good WAYWT outfits. There were many discussions here about how to dress well.

Now half the front page is just dedicated to shoes. In any of these shoe threads, if you bring up this question of how to wear a certain shoe style well, you will be met with two answers:

1. I wear them however I want and any time I damn please
2. I wear them with suits, sport coats, tailored trousers, chinos, and jeans (no one ever says shorts because sartorial gentlemen don't wear shorts). There is often little to no discernment here, just a list of nearly every type of clothing.

If you push back and suggest there may be better ways to wear certain styles, you will get piled on. People will be very upset at the idea that there are better and worse ways to wear shoes. (I was recently in the TLB thread, where, for the first time, I saw some discussion that maybe oxfords aren't the best with jeans, but this is a very rare instance).

I don't get why the forum has become like this. It may be that cowboy boots are the exception and you can really wear them with whatever. But could it be that this forum is now just a "shoe forum" full of people who are averse to this discussion?

If you were to ask:

1. How do I buy these shoes
2. How are these shoes made

You will be met with dissertations. People will write long answers about how to import shoes from Romania and how the leather was tanned. But if you ask "what are some better ways to wear this style," people are dismissive at best. In @DWFII's post, he calls me prejudicial. I don't even know what I would be prejudicial against. But @Jmr928 just mentioned that he went through Lucchese's IG tags and saw some bad outfits. I have tried combing through IG accounts and seen the same. If someone is spending so much money on these things, why not take the time to figure out how to look good in them?

I'm not asking people to post photos of themselves. I don't post photos of my outfits and respect people's desire to be anonymous. I also try to not post outfits here that I dislike, as think that's needlessly mean (at least when they involve real people and not models). But if people think the more elaborately styled boots can be worn well, what's wrong with asking for examples?

Back in the day, there was an AAAC member who listed the clothes he wore every day. So he'd list something like "Kiton sport coat, John Lobb shoes, Hermes scarf, etc." It would just be a list. Then one day he posted a photo and ... the outfit looked quite bad. This happened for a while at The London Lounge. Back in the day, people didn't post outfits, they just described what they wore. But when people finally posted photos, clearly some people were well dressed while others were not. It can be up to the viewer to decide what is aesthetically pleasing and not, but clearly, words are not enough to convey an outfit.

Anyway, if people don't want to discuss how to wear cowboy boots well, I'm fine with that. I'll take this discussion elsewhere. I vaguely suspected that this is not the right thread for it anyway.
I think the answer is twofold.
1. Some people jus don’t actually give a ****.
2. Some people once gave a **** but gave up because dressing well overall is much harder than just buying really nice footwear or watches and throwing on whatever and claiming you don’t give a ****.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I apologize...I must have hit a nerve but I didn't mean anything by 'prejudices" except that we all have biases that don't relate to any objective factors. Your 'looking like crap' may be looking like a 'million bucks,' to someone else. And you will never be convinced of another way. Or be able to see it from another perspective.

I have always felt I could pull off near-as-nevermind any look as long as it was authentic. I live in the West.I make western (cowboy) boots. I have a sense of what is appropriate. Of what is authentic.

I have at one time in my life dressed almost fin-de-siecle and pulled it off simply because I researched it and didn't make anachronistic substitutions.

I can pull off a kilt in any circumstances again because I don't do half measures.

Fortunately (from my perspective), that confers a somewhat more cynical view of what is stylish or fashionable or appropriate, as well as a measure of comfort that might not be so accessible to others.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score

You've received several replies which directly answer your questions, however you seem to not like the replies and, or, choose to ignore them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads