• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cowboy boots

reidd

Reaction score
Does anyone have good fit pics of black cowboy boots being worn? Meaning, a photo of the full outfit?

Do black cowboy boots only go with black or grey pants? Or can they be worn in other contexts?
bush.jpg

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Do black cowboy boots only go with black or grey pants? Or can they be worn in other contexts?
"You should have another black item in the outfit, either black pants or a black jacket?"
I tried to find something to test the theory, and I kinda agree. Albeit I wonder if there's a difference between black boots being worn over jeans, instead of underneath. Seems as though that could work, without having other black items.

Would someone be able to test it out?

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as being too conservative when it comes to cowboy boots?
I would say yes, it's possible to be too conservative. I'm a big fan of colorful tops and conservative bottoms, like the boots by Graham and Charlotte you posted.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say yes, it's possible to be too conservative. I'm a big fan of colorful tops and conservative bottoms, like the boots by Graham and Charlotte you posted.
Are there any good Instagram accounts or blogs showing men wearing cowboy boots in stylish outfits? A lot of the stuff I see online just shows the boot by itself, the boot just under the cuff of the pants, or just photos of women in boots. Hard to find men showing a full outfit. Are there good social media accounts or blogs that feature this stuff, in terms of full outfits?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these JB Hill boots? Is there such a thing as being too conservative when it comes to cowboy boots?

View attachment 1623034
Mine then are too conservative. Pebble grain ( I think) bottoms with plain calf tops.
They were custom -made. Never fit. The shop in San Francisco went out of business
years ago.

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any good Instagram accounts or blogs showing men wearing cowboy boots in stylish outfits? A lot of the stuff I see online just shows the boot by itself, the boot just under the cuff of the pants, or just photos of women in boots. Hard to find men showing a full outfit. Are there good social media accounts or blogs that feature this stuff, in terms of full outfits?
My immediate reaction would be no, there are no stylish men's outfits incorporating cowboy boots. It's a type of footwear that (imo) really only works with casual wear. And yeah, online it's mostly just photos of the boots.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went down the rabbit hole seeing what I could find and I think I need some therapy after seeing some of the fits I stumbled upon. I’ve seen less offensive things on the Chan’s than in Lucchese’s mentions. But to answer your question nothing I could find. Let us know if you track something down though

DG123

Reaction score
In some parts of the world dress cowboy boots are worn with suits. Other than suits, cowboy boots are usually worn with jeans. By "stylish outfit" do you include jeans with some sort of fancy/stylish shirt ?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In some parts of the world dress cowboy boots are worn with suits. Other than cowboy boots are usually worn with jeans.
By "stylish outfit" do you include jeans with some sort of fancy/stylish shirt ?
Just a general outfit. There are inspiration boards for tailoring, streetwear, and workwear. Like accounts that show people in stylish outfits within these aesthetics. I find it's easier for me to form an opinion about something if I've seen different versions of the aesthetic a bunch of times. But it's hard to find accounts that show Western-styled outfits, so I can't decide whether those elaborately decorated boots are for me, or if I should go for something simpler.

I like how Mark Wystrach dresses.

66798636_356125818652602_1141680967465877704_n.jpg
145545945_415268923087657_8649440437699105909_n.jpg

Also some of those old menswear icons, such as RL, Dennis Hopper, Robert Redford, etc.

E4DCNHmWQAAEgR2.jpg
square-lead-dh-slides-17-1537991087.jpg
E3ZOr3oVgAEIQUd.jpg
E3ZOyGsVoAMM9TJ.jpg

It's hard for me to decide what kind of cowboy boots I like without seeing a bunch of different types of boots worn in different outfits. A lot of the stuff online just shows the boot or the boot underneath the cuff of some pants (not the full fit). So hoping to track down some inspirational IG accounts or blogs. The cactus boots above look super cool, but how do they look in various outfits, and when the person's sitting down, etc?

DG123

Reaction score
Just a general outfit. There are inspiration boards for tailoring, streetwear, and workwear. Like accounts that show people in stylish outfits within these aesthetics. I find it's easier for me to form an opinion about something if I've seen different versions of the aesthetic a bunch of times. But it's hard to find accounts that show Western-styled outfits, so I can't decide whether those elaborately decorated boots are for me, or if I should go for something simpler.

I like how Mark Wystrach dresses.

View attachment 1626077View attachment 1626076

Also some of those old menswear icons, such as RL, Dennis Hopper, Robert Redford, etc.

View attachment 1626085View attachment 1626087View attachment 1626086View attachment 1626088

. The cactus boots above look super cool, but how do they look in various outfits, and when the person's sitting down, etc?
I think the boots with colorful, decorated shafts are usually worn by women wearing a dress or women tucking their jeans within the boots.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the stuff online just shows the boot or the boot underneath the cuff of some pants (not the full fit). So hoping to track down some inspirational IG accounts or blogs. The cactus boots above look super cool, but how do they look in various outfits, and when the person's sitting down, etc?
I guess a question is how do you plan to wear them? For me whenever I wear boots anymore it’s 90% of the time with denim and pants over top 100% of the time - never with my jeans tucked into my boots. It was the same back when I had more pairs and wore them much more often and lived out west. My jeans typically cover most of the shaft and riding up a bit wasn’t really a concern. Agree the cactus boots look cool - the way I pair mine allows me be a little more playful with the shaft and not worry about it too much because it was there for me. I treated it like the lining of my jacket. It can be as crazy or simple as I want and to most of the world it isn’t there. If I wore it with tailoring then yeah when I sit my trouser leg definitely slides up the shaft and I end up with a few inches of the shaft exposed.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of the time, I see the pants worn over the boots so the decoration really doesn't matter too much. Only time this shows up for men is when sitting down like you mentioned. It's sort of like how the crazy socks was a thing a few years ago. No one really notices until you sit down or purposely try to show them off. As long as the bottom boot fits your style and aesthetics, it really doesn't matter.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.